Self image when living with psoriasis

Posted Fri 3 Jun 2016 11.20 by Nicky
Nursing student

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I am a student nurse based in Dermatology at York hospital, UK and I am looking into psoriasis and the affect it has on peoples self-image and what support is available for this. I have looked locally around the York area and have found there to be very little support for people with psoriasis outside of the health service, and I am trying to work out why this is the case. If any of you would be able to answer a few questions which I can use in my research I would be really grateful. I don't need any personal information from you at all, just an overview of you and your condition. If you have the time, please can I ask you to answer the questions below: - How long have you had psoriasis? - Do you feel that it affects your self-image? - If so, in what ways? - Do you receive any support for how you feel about your self image? - If so, what support do you receive? - If you do not receive support - are you aware of support groups available to you? Do you access these at all? (e.e online discussion forums, local support groups) - Do you feel that a support group is something which you would be interested in? - If so, what kind of support would you prefer - online/face to face support? - Why would you prefer this form of support? Many thanks in advance, Nicky - Student Nurse

Posted Fri 10 Jun 2016 13.51 by Leahd (edited Sat 18 Jun 2016 09.14 by cscotto)
I have scalp psoriasis and smal patches on my body

Hi I've had psoriasis since I was 12 so 15 years mainly on my scalp, it definitely affects self image, constantly worrying people can see it, thinking I have bad hygiene, constantly washing my hair! My boyfriend gives me support and really forums on this website make me realise I'm not alone, not aware of any local support groups, online is fine and I work with a girl who also has it and it felt like a relief that some one understands:)

Posted Sat 18 Jun 2016 09.14 by Ashley
i’ve had psoriasis since 10, 16 years till now.

hi Nicky, hope my answer would help you. 16 years. i’ve had psoriasis since 10. yes. i had it mostly on my arms. didn’t wear short sleeves in 3 years even when it was 40 degree summer. i always worry people think I’m having contagions. and they will avoid to be with me. i found a guy online recently, having same satiation. he supported me and understand me. after 16 years, it was my first time talking with someone has the same problem. you can’t imagine, i was thrilling the moment he added me on social app. but unfortunately, he was not comfortable in meeting me. anyway i already feel grateful to know his existing. the support group would be really helpful for me to let me feel like I’m not alone , just like Leahd said. face to face would be the best. i wish i have someone in reality, that understand what’s going on. we can meet for dinner, go shopping, do real stuff, like common people. i wish i had courage to tell people the truth about me.

Posted Mon 20 Jun 2016 00.02 by loofey12
Majorly affected its taking over my life im covered all over my legs my arms back stimach and much more

Hi Nicky. My name is Samantha. I live in Gloucestershire. I've had psoriasis for 5 years. It has a huge impact on my self image. As I am covered legs, hands, feet, arms, stomach, back, genitals, scalp and it has just started in my face. I've not heard of any local groups around. I like online and I would love to do a face to face with people. I hate how I look and how it makes me feel. People treat me like I'm a monster or if I had leprosy. People avoide or won't even put my change in my hand... I have anxiety issues and depression. I would love there to be extra support groups as there isn't enough awareness of this I never heard of it before until I got it..I have to hide psoriasis to feel a lil bit normal or human in town and now I wear special cotton gloves for my hands. Thanks for listening ????

Posted Tue 19 Jul 2016 08.50 by Doreentony

I have had it over 20 years and suffered people staring then it eased over the years I now get gutate phoriasis makes me feel. dirty I loose my confidence I have it at the moment and ointments so greasy.

Posted Tue 19 Jul 2016 22.24 by aliciageorgina
Hi, I am a student studying music and philosophy at the University of Nottingham. My first study is singing.

Hi Nicky I have had psoriasis for 14 years, since I was 7. Over the years when I have had particularly bad flare-ups it has greatly affected my self image, particularly as I have it on my face. In the past I have worn heavy cover up make up to hide the psoriasis on my arms and my face. I have always had to pick clothes carefully and would definitely think twice about wearing anything backless, with short sleeves or low cut. I don't like showing my legs and relationships have suffered because I am often self-conscious. My parents are very supportive, but I am reluctant to tell other people I have psoriasis as I manage to keep most of it hidden with make up and clothes. I would definitely be interested in a support group in my area although I am fairly sure there isn't one.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 2016 18.37 by AE33

Hi Nicky - this sounds like a hugely worthwhile investigation. I've had psoriasis for around 23 years. I'm 34 now. I've lived in London for around 10 years. It hugely affects my self image. It makes me feel self conscious and dirty, as if people think I don't look after myself. I feel scabby and disgusting. It makes me feel afraid of intimate relationships and also affects my work particularly in bad flare ups (my job involves meeting new people a lot) I don't receive any support for this, though don't think I've ever asked for any. (Or been asked how it affects me.) I have had bad periods of depression which I do now receive support for but am currently in an exceptionally bad flare up which I worry is setting back my mental health. I am not aware of any support groups. I have just accessed this website in the hope of finding online support. I would be interested in a support group. I think an online support group. I feel I would prefer online support because I already struggle to fit medical appointments around a busy and demanding job and life. I also feel it's something I would like to be able to engage with as and when I need it for the long term, rather than a short term support group that ends. My psoriasis comes and goes (well, it never goes but sometimes I feel it improves and I can cope better) and I suppose my need for support does too. Good luck with your research.

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 10.20 by Pipster

Hi first time posting. I've had psoriasis for about 20 years and like everyone else gone through periods when it's calmed and then periods when it flares really bad. I'm currently going through a bad flare at the moment. Like other people have said it hugely influences the clothes I wear and I'm very self conscious about my looks because of it. My arms and legs are covered in it and when I'm going through the a really bad flare I always end up withdrawing myself from everyone. I won't go out because of the way I look and up being a recluse. My partner is supportive but she doesn't fully always understand how it affects me. I find it very hard to talk about and most of the time while at home I try my best not to talk about it. If I was to go out and see friends or even go to work I find myself feeling so anxious and feel like I need to get away from the situation and just go home. Because of this I hav had a lot of time off work to the point of being dismissed from my role. I do think an online support group would be good

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2016 12.49 by SusieQ

Hi Nicky I have had psoriasis for 17 years, since the age of 34, with frequent flare ups. Currently covered from neck to toes with red/purple peeling skin and flakes all over the place which would have been most useful for Hansel and Gretel. Psoriasis has always been a major pain in the neck, but I can honestly say that it has not affected my self-esteem. I do not care much for physical appearances and never have done (my own or that of other people) and I think that personality and a rich inner life are more important. I have a good number of dear friends who do not even 'see' my psoriasis as they are more concerned about having a good natter or a meal together or whatever. I have (occasionally) been called things (by members of the public) such as 'scabby bitch' and 'are you infectious, love?' but honestly I think that is their problem, and not mine. I have so many other physical problems (e.g. very time-consuming Type 1 diabetes) that sometimes psoriasis seems like the least of my difficulties (let alone self-esteem). Having said that, I totally empathise with younger people especially who have developed psoriasis and may be at sensitive points in life - e.g. trying to get into relationships etc. where self-esteem is massively important. I am just lucky I got it so late on in life and was able to give it (the condition) and unhelpful people the two figured salute! So, yes, I think an on-line support group would be of benefit to a large number of psoriasis sufferers, especially those new to the condition. This would cut down a lot of 'distress' and provide mutual support and a realisation that these issues are commonplace and that the fears are often unfounded. I have always found people (on the whole, despite the odd bit of abuse mentioned above) to be supportive rather than criticising and because the condition is a common one, you will often hear a comment such as - 'oh, my uncle has that' or 'have you tried Dead Sea Salts' etc. My personal wish is that people would get away from the 'body beautiful' thing (in general) so that psoriasis sufferers would never have to worry in the first place!

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2016 16.29 by Plum
32 yrs old had psorasis for 11 yrs

Hi I've suffered for a few years now tried lots of treatments inc methotrexate made me poorly but recently been told about a product from Lush called dream cream I've been using this on its own no steroids creams only for 4 days and I've got no flakes at all worth a try for £15.00 a tub also don't hurt or itch

Posted Fri 3 Nov 2017 10.34 by Steph10110

Hey Nicky, I was diagnosed when I was 7 years old. I am 20 now, so I have been living with this for 13 years. I have psoriasis on my hands, feet, forehead, and the back of my knees. The psoriasis on my hands is the worst. I struggle to perform certain tasks, such as writing and even picking up a shopping bag. It affects my self-image greatly. I don't really like going outside since my psoriasis is very hard to hide, especially on my hands. I feel like people also look at it and think that it is contagious and that I might infect them. I get disgusted looks from people as well, which definitely does not help. I have not received any help for how I feel about my self-image. I have spoken to my doctors about it and all they can say is, well it isn't contagious and you shouldn't care what people think, which is not helpful. I have not found any available of any support groups with people my age who are experiencing what I am feeling. A support group with people my age would be nice so that we can all tell each other how we deal with our own psoriasis. I would prefer both kinds of support -online and face to face. I feel like online would be good if you are home and need help straight away. But face to face is also good because you can actually see who has this disease as well. I think it should be noted that I have tried quite a few treatments. I have tried phototherapy, ointment, creams and I tried steroids. All of which have been unsuccessful. With the steroid, it started to affect my immune system greatly, resulting in further health problems. This also does not help with my self-image

Posted Fri 10 Nov 2017 00.40 by Vic90

Hi nicky. I've had psoriasis since I was 12 we got it under control and had great doctor this last year has been terrible 99% of my scalp is covered in thick scale and it's visable it's knocked my confidence 100% I don't like going out with friends or family parties as they can all see it in can't hide it I've had no support from GPS and waiting for a hospital appointment for 7months now I've lost a considerable amount of hair due to this also and can't wait to see the hospital Im not aware of any support groups it's and untalked about condition and in feel like I have to explain to people so I stop getting looks because of it I came across this page looking for answers about treatments I'm gonna ask the hospital about but that's all I've found

Posted Tue 14 Nov 2017 21.00 by Angie c

I have had psoriasis for 38 years I have tried many creams over the years and still have flare ups. I find it hard to wear short sleeves in the summer as people do stare and I have had a few arguments over the years with people how haven't any idea what you have. Some people think it's because you don't wash and are dirty. This does affect you self confidence and how you see yourself. There are no groups and the area I live that I know about. I live in North Dorset. Keeping your skin moisturise does stop the itching.

To take part, sign in or register with us