Perianal Psoriasis?

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2023 14.59 by Rward96 (edited Fri 8 Sep 2023 15.08 by Rward96)

Hi all Many years ago I was diagnosed with inverse psoriasis, mainly on my perineum *which often cracks and develops a painful temporary lump - anyone else had that? The lump is always gone when i want to show it to the GP ) and Betamethasone would calm it, working for a while (also had small patch of scalp and inside my ear so figured, hey, that figures, maybe it is psoriasis). I've had many a haemorrhoidectamy due to itching (and I have read about others saying they can be intolerant to their own faeces). Now this is where I am a terrible patient and my vice is smoking. I know that it can indeed make the frequency of toilet visits more. I MUST QUIT, I know. Anyhow, my colorectal surgeon can't understand why at nighttime I get a moist damp (and apologies, smelly) feeling down there. The only thing that eases it slightly is a layer of Trimovate or Sudocrem to act as a barrier. The surgeon has ruled out stds, bile acid malabsorption (had gallbladder removed) and also tested anal strength. So, short and tall of it is, I'm back to psoriasis, wondering; * Could the wet smelly sticky feeling be psoriasis? *And why would I only experience it at night? Surely it would feel this way in the daytime? Hence why I've been on at the surgeon about the return of piles because one person's body can't relax THAT much at night it leaks. I'm seeing a dermatologist soon and I'm hesitant to keep using steroids, because I do literally put them right inside to control the wetness. I'm hoping to plead for UV treatment. Has anyone any experience of their psoriasis feeling like or being contraindicated with piles? The piles have "mucus" apparently but then that irritates my skin. Yada yada. Just don't want to feel alone on this. There's definitely a behavior loop I want to get out of, waking an hour after going to bed having scratched, splashing myself with water and going back to bed. At the end of my tether.

Posted Sat 6 Jan 2024 15.39 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Apologies for the thread bump but I wanted to share my experience on this should anyone find it via search on future. I too have had piles for as long as I can remember and my experience is similar to the OP. Internal piles do indeed create mucus and this in turn causes irritation if you also have a skin condition - what the medical professionals refer to as pruritus. It's not faeces, it's just the natural lubrication (for want of a better word) created by your anus/rectum to aid defecation. The problem is that itching it creates a vicious circle - increased inflammation, increased mucus, increased risk of infection. It also raises the risk of UTIs, particularly for women. The usual treatment is Timodine (nappy rash cream) but you must use it sparingly. I think the only other thing you can do is a physical barrier to stop you itching - wearing mittens might help as it's far harder to scratch with a thumb than it is with a finger. I also used to tuck my pants in so they separated my buttocks - that was useful particularly for irratation of the natal cleft (the bit at the top of your bum crack).

To take part, sign in or register with us