Fighting the fight

Posted Sat 17 Sep 2016 08.09 by MartLaw

Today I'm having a bad day! I suffer from facial psoriasis and just feel its a battle I'm not going to win. Hard to put into words how I feel today. To try to write how I feel with tears welling in my eyes. Although I have strong family support I feel others do not understand the emotional side of this condition. In work I normally get the comment "gee your rash is bad today". I know it is. Thanks for making me more conscious about it. Is it sad that I dream about winning the lottery not for the finer things in life but to avoid work, to avoid people, to take the stress away. But the fight will go on, i'll keep trying.

Posted Sat 17 Sep 2016 10.23 by sasha1970

Its hard when it covers areas of your body that others can see. I was covered head to toe, there was not a bit of my body that didn't have the horrid scaly flakes on it. At the doctors mums would move their kids away from me, people would cross the road when they saw me coming and the taunts I received from people (including my own family) were horrendous, soul destroying and made me question wether it was worth living. Now 25 years later, I still have psoriasis on my face, its no where as bad as what it used to be, I think as you grow older you develop a "sod them" attitude and now if I see people starting I just talk to them about it. A lot of people stare because is the unknown and they are scared of the unknown. A lot of people make rude comments because they don't understand what it is and how it effects you. I used to get comments like yours in my previous job, and I decided that it was there way of trying to find out what is going on ( probably not what they were doing but thats how I decided to take it) so I started to educate them, tell them that its all related to stress. Eventually the comments stopped and it got a lot better, I actually developed some truly great friendships. Psoriasis will always be with us, sometimes good sometimes bad and there will be times it will be horrid, but its part of who we are. Keep your chin up, it will get better and easier, you're doing great.

Posted Sat 17 Sep 2016 17.35 by MartLaw

Sometimes it feels like its a curse. Hard to look in the mirror sometimes. I'm 48 now and its been a part of me for so long, I suppose the question I ask the most is why me! Have an appointment in October to start the oral medication. Read about some unpleasant side affects by I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for your reply

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 13.02 by Beckymitchell
Hi I'm a surfer of this skin condition since 2013 looking for any help to manage my symptoms xx

I am suffering today with my face also it's always a battle I feel ur pain my life is not the same I've been on Methojet injection does help but the itching is not good always looking for different things to try just so I can start to live again without fear of being judged xx

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 17.20 by Mummytozach

Hi, my mom suffers terribly with psorias. She suffers with heart problems too so she can only really use topical creams. None of these were really suiting her skin, she tried everything she could think of. Aloe vera is the best thing by far she uses. Drinking gels, creams and shampoo. It is definitely something I would recommend. She is now so confident, it has given her her life back.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 18.32 by sasha1970

Must admit I've not tried the oral treatment, I've had light therapy, topical creams and ointments but july like Mummytozach's mum I use Aloe Vera. Its something so simple but it does seem to work wonders. Soap, shower gel, body lotion - I just use everything Aloe Vera. It might be worth a try MartLaw, but good luck with the treatment, let us know how you get on with it.

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 20.47 by MartLaw

Thanks Sasha, I'll give regular updates. Seems like Aloe Vera is worth a go. Beckymitchell is that a self injection or regular hospital visit? Not heard of methojet

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 22.17 by Beckymitchell
Hi I'm a surfer of this skin condition since 2013 looking for any help to manage my symptoms xx

Mart law yes it's a self injection once a week its methotrexate inside called Metoject it's working but u get some side effects take time to settle x

Posted Sun 18 Sep 2016 22.52 by Grizzly Bear
Got P in 1990 when serving in forces. Got diagnosed with PA late early this year. Using Stelara 90 mg.

I have P in my eyebrows and around my nose. I use Bio-oil which keeps the plagues at bay but the redness is there on bad day's. Coconut oil is a good moisturiser too.

Posted Mon 19 Sep 2016 08.32 by Mummytozach

Definitely try aloe vera. You have nothing to lose.

Posted Wed 21 Sep 2016 02.40 by spiritwest

I have to admit - that I have never (almost never) had it appear where it could be readily seen. I have had it for about 26 years now, but only on my legs, elbows, lower back, etc. (along with inverse psoriasis under my breasts and another sensitive area that is also hidden from view). I had some success with "Barney's Formula" (google it), which consists of 3000 IU of Vit D, a multivitamin, a vitamin e pill, and one 200 MG of Ibuprofen every day. It totally cleared anything on the right side of my body, and shrank the patches on the left side, but didn't totally clear them. I still take these, and use an oatmeal based moisturizer on all my patches. It didn't work for everyone but it did work for many (got it from the UK Psoriasis site). Psoriasis tried to take hold on my fingers, but I rubbed an oatmeal based moisturizer on it almost constantly (like 10 times a day) and it went away. None of the topicals from my Dermatologist worked and baking myself in the sun didn't help either - and I have not yet tried any of the oral or injectable solutions yet...

Posted Wed 21 Sep 2016 04.10 by Mattline79

Hi All I have suffered with psoriasis for many years especially on my hands. 3 months ago I tried products from forever living, aloe drinking gel, aloe propolis cream and bee propolis tablets and 6 weeks later my psoriasis had completely cleared up. I was so impressed with the results that I decided to start my own forever business. I'm not trying to plug business on here but if you do want any information, happy to send you some.

Posted Sat 24 Sep 2016 16.20 by Izzie (edited Sat 24 Sep 2016 16.39 by Izzie )

MartLaw : I hope you kept your sense of humor cause I have to tell its the first time I smiled since long ago. Reading sentences of yours I felt like you stole the words from my mind, like gee your rash is bad today! (Oh yeah ? Really?! Thank you for helping me notice, what would I have done without your eagle eye... -... slap you in the face dumbass...) and the lottery thing! It's exactly that... Not buying some Cadillac or whatever... Just not go to work... And the last thing you said about fighting... Don't let go. Good luck... Got tears in my eyes too... (And just so you know methotrexate is "really" working (like every medication there is no 100% of course, only "good" results... - for what it means in the mouth of a doctor- as a former one I can guarantee you that...) but side effects of course may be hard. Though I knew some people without any side effects at all. Who knows? Try coldcream with a bit of polidocanol for the rash or aloe Vera or your usual treatment (but a bit of hydrocortisone would really help the crisis) and meanwhile I hope you'll have enough patience till the appointment with your derm)

Posted Sat 24 Sep 2016 16.45 by Izzie

Oh and Sasha1970 : optimistic person you are... Don't know how you do that... for me it's a curse. And I'm asking what have I done, what have my ancestors done or whatever to deserve that. But nobody deserves nothing of course. Although once again, as a former MD, I rather exchange my P with a C... No kidding.

Posted Sat 17 Nov 2018 09.42 by angela r
4 years

I've had psoriasis for 7 years. It came on very quickly and was aggressive. Within 12 months I was taking acitretin which really helped but after 6 years I have had to stop as I started to get bone pain. Just finished a course of uv light treatment si skin fairly clear. I am now convinced that after reading Dr John Pagano's book that the condition is caused through leaky gut syndrome with too much acidic food and to a greater extent the condition is hereditary. My mum has it too and has diverticulitis. Massive life change ahead of me now to eat an alkaline diet and in the process of buying a Kangan water machine/system. Wish me luck

To take part, sign in or register with us