Need info on my problem

Posted Mon 19 Sep 2016 19.47 by 247dad

Hi all, first post but need some help if anyone can.. Went to My dermatologist recently with an ongoing condition I have had for the past 3 years. I have painful white heads appear on my scalp often in clumps and had been taking antibiotics for a year and a half after my Dr said it was due to an infection caused by dirty barbers equipment and was contagious... The spots never fully went and after being concerned about taking antibiotics for that period of time I got a dermatologist appointment, she put me on liquid betnovate steroids and a different antibiotics.. Along with a swab... She said the original diagnosis was wrong and that it may just be an infection. Two months passed and symptoms still never fully went, at the appointment she said that I was incurable as it is caused by my psoriasis... I had psoriasis as a child on my arms, legs and stomach and it did flare up at time but it has been the best it's ever been and I have only been using moisturizers, no medication, how can she be so sure it's the psoriasis, I can't find anything regarding small white head pus filled spots in relation to psoriasis and what's more she said it just something I will have to manage with the steroid liquid... Is there something else I could be taking to help reduce this or has anyone else had this before.. I really am lost and am not sure where to go or what to do... I am ashamed and embarrassed of my condition, I always have to wear a hat when I go out and I don't want my lack of confidence to affect my kids. If anyone has any info or ideas please. Do let me know. Thanks so much!

Posted Tue 20 Sep 2016 13.09 by sweetie8216

Your doctor should be supportive and trying something different if what has been tried doesn't work. Unfortunately it really does take being persistent almost to the point of being annoying. I know because that is how i have managed to get a referral to a dermatologist. Even if having to wait three months. You have no reason to feel ashamed and embarrassed of your condition but i totally understand how and why you feel that way. Its not courageous and somehow you need to find a way to hold your head high and keep saying in your head bugger what other people think. Easier said than done i know.

Posted Tue 20 Sep 2016 16.44 by 247dad

I have now been discharged by the dermatologist, she said to continue with the steroid betnovate cream and not take any antibiotics I did say should I see you again but she said that she has done all she could and the betnovate will help manage it... Three weeks later and the betnovate alone isn't helping like it did with the tablets and have more visible white heads even though they are not as painful as they have been.. Gonna have to get another Drs appointment and do it all again! Took 3 months for my first appointment with the dermatologist..

Posted Tue 20 Sep 2016 16.51 by sweetie8216

Go back to the doctors and keep going back to the doctors. There is nothing worse than feeling like you are being fobbed off. I have had one only one doctors appointment where i didn't feel that way. Yep i had my referral letter through for the Dermatologist last week , rang to make my appointment which isnt until 22nd December. You kind of just have to keep going back as frustrating as it is , I see it that if i am doing all i am being told to do it is then for them to help when it doesnt work.

To take part, sign in or register with us