Hair loss and highlighting

Posted Mon 3 Oct 2016 12.49 by Susans

Hi, I've had psoriasis on various parts of my body and scalp for only a few months, but reckon that I have lost at least 30% of my hair to date. I immediately stopped highlighting my hair and cut it to a super short bob, hoping this would help. I'm not losing brushfuls at a time any more, but the loss is pretty consistent. I was wondering whether anyone has experience in highlighting their hair? While the bare patches seem to be increasing, my hair still seems to be growing, even if just by length not volume. I visit an Aveda salon, and know that they use milder bleaching agents, and hope that I might be able to get at least a few strands done to cheer me up. Any advice? Many thanks.

Posted Mon 24 Oct 2016 23.57 by Deeire

Your stylist should do a strand test. This will mean him/her taking a cutting of a small section of your hair then applying the lightening product. This will tell how well your hair will hold up to highlights. It might be worth mentioning to your GP also yo rule out B12 issues, if you haven't already done so. HTH

Posted Tue 25 Oct 2016 16.26 by Susans

Thanks for your advice. I went ahead and had just a few strands done very carefully, and haven't had any trouble. Can I ask what you mean by B12 issues, I'm seeing a dermatologist. Thanks

Posted Tue 25 Oct 2016 19.37 by EQ

Hello, I suffer quite badly with scalp psoriasis to, it's the worst affected body part and I totally relate to how you feel with hair falling out and as a girl it's very disheartening. I haven't yet found anything that helps other than coconut oil slapped on my head 2 times a week which just helps with a little of the itchiness.

Posted Wed 26 Oct 2016 09.08 by Susans

Its horrible to be losing our hair isn't it? And so frustrating that the best we can expect is to manage the symptoms rather than to just cure the thing! I also tried coconut oil but found it too drying on my scalp - though ok on skin pre shower. After trying dozens of different remedy combinations I found this works best (for now) - SEBCO ointment applied liberally, left for a few hours, massaged and combed through, then either rinsed or washed out. And Eucerin Dermo Capillaire leave-on lotion applied (also liberally, and lovely if left in the fridge) direct to scalp via nozzle to calm and soothe. I also use the Eucerin Dermo Capilliare shampoo periodically and some weird organic conditioner from the heath shop. Both the SEBCO and the Eucerin stuff I get online, I find trying to find anything in Boots etc pretty useless. Everyone is different of course, but hope this helps, and keep your chin up!

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 13.10 by Mary

I'm a bit late to this thread but I have also had quite a bit of hair loss due to psoriasis. I had very fine hair to begin with and I found it very depressing when it started falling out. I am happy to say that it did grow back and although it isn't back to how it used to be, it's much better than it was. I am just researching new treatments and think I will try SEBCO. I've used the Eucerin lotion before and found it quite soothing. My dermatologist wanted me to start taking Acitretin but I've decided I don't want to go down that route, especially as a common side effect is hair loss! So it's back to trying lots of different things again! With regard to colouring hair, I've used semi permanent colours without any problems but not tried highlights. It's nice to read these posts and know you're not alone.

To take part, sign in or register with us