Newbie :)

Posted Tue 24 Jan 2017 21.18 by Leslieac

Hi everyone, I began suffering from psoriasis when I joined university three years ago. I am unsure about why it started, and there is no record of anyone in my family having it. After struggling with it for two years, and following a strict course using the steroid ointment, Diprosalic, I had light treatment. My skin went back to how it had been before the psoriasis started - it was amazing! Since last November, it has flared up, literally overnight, all over my body again. I tried using Dovobet and the diprosalic again, as directed by the doctor, but I have been on it for a while now. The skin on my inner thighs is beautifully smooth and clear, but my outer thigh skin and calf skin is completely covered in red, itchy, nasty patches, as are my feet, soles, back, chest, stomach and arms. I row for my college and generally do a lot of exercise however, i feel really embarrassed when the other girls that I row with see my skin. They really do not know how to respond and they stare a lot. I don't normally get embarrassed about it anymore, (especially not with my hands, as I cannot really stop people seeing the psoriasis on them), but I am feeling rather embarrassed about it lately. My parents also seem to get frustrated and angry at me when it flares up again, as though I have intentionally caused it. I'm not sure how to respond to this, as I have read and researched psoriasis so much to try and prevent it coming back. It's very difficult. I am being referred again for light treatment, however, the thought that this is the circular cycle of my fight with psoriasis for the rest of my life is really quite upsetting. I really do not know how to control it. I have tried sea salts and bathing, moisturising, de-stressing (as i can get easily stressed) and ointments like silkis and enstilar. One thing I have not tried is changing my diet, however, I do not generally eat much sugar or bad, carby food, nor do I drink alcohol very often at all or smoke. Any suggestions, or general offers of advice? Much thanks, Alice

Posted Tue 24 Jan 2017 22.30 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

I am surprised you are being treated with Dovobet and Diprosalic because the main component of the Dovobet (Calcipotriol) can be deactivated by the Salicylic acid in the Diprosalic. I am being treated with Calcipotriol ointment and the instructions specifically state that I must not use any preparation containing salicylic acid because of the clash. Hopefully this new session of light treatment will be exactly what your skin needs and if it works again for you what about seeing if it is possible to obtain a portable light unit for home use. I used to have what was known as a Sun Lamp and the UVB it gave out kept my skin 99% blemish free for many years, but since the special bulb failed (now unobtainable) I can no longer have my 10 minute twice weekly top up and the intrusive P has returned. I am now putting money away from my pension to buy my own light unit and then I wont have wait my turn at our main hospital skin unit. Good luck with the light treatment and I hope you can arrange something for home use.

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.30 by Izzie

Yep sun is by far the best thing. Even if everyone is skin cancer frightened, after 20 years or more of psoriasis I don't give a damn about skin cancer. I Just want this thing the hell out of me once in a while and as I grew old (30) it became worst. The only thing when Im in crisis it's sunbed. But not in the hospital. Though it's expensive so there's no miracle solution. And just so you know it's a genetic condition of lymphocyte T. So it's not "curable". It can never appear, or come and go, or just one time and no more. There's no rule... And about your parents, long story short, my father happened to be the same. We once had a big fight and I finally understood that he was very much concerned about me not being able to have a normal life. I told him to never come on that subject again. So you could maybe ask yours what's wrong with them ?

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 22.54 by DawnMcc

I have suffered from this unforgiving disease since I had my first daughter (she'll be 23 in June and I turned 50 last month) Over the years I've had numerous lotions, light treatment and meds, which might I add the following yes cleared my skin but made me really ill! so it became a real chicken egg situation, have psoriasis or feel permanently ill!? I choose psoriasis. It does impact your life! but believe me even when you're in pain, feel let down by others who don't understand there is always a light at the end of the tunnel!!!! And hopefully if not in my lifetime but maybe your's there will be a cure. Good luck with the light treatment! and always hold your head held high! it's not about the outside it's what lies within XxxX

To take part, sign in or register with us