Candida/Yeast and Psoriasis Link

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 18.24 by Psoriasaurus Rex
Sick and tired of scratching the surface - want a cure.

Hey all, just wondering if any of you have tried to eliminate things like sugar, gluten and yeast from your diet. Just been reading some things that have indicated very likely higher amounts of candida in psoriatics. When I was first having skin problems a few years ago, my doctor immediately thought it was a yeast infection. The prescribed dakacourt did remove the problem, but it kept coming back. I just wonder now because the appearance of the skin there has never been the same as it originally was. It is very much psoriatic lesions now, but not like the more yeast problem it seemed to be.

Posted Thu 9 Feb 2017 19.35 by Ali

Well idk but have given up sugar (not fruit) and gluten as they are linked to IBS which I had before the latest bout of psoriasis flared up. It's been 2 weeks now and I feel great but the psoriasis is the same. It takes 6 months to totally cleanse your body (so I've been told) so have some time tto wait yet.

Posted Sat 11 Mar 2017 22.02 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi I've given up gluten, sugar,dairy and wheat. Im inspired by Hanna Silitoe and her new recipie book Radiant. Two weeks into it now and its gotten a bit worse but thats to be expected as the body adjusts. Fingers crossed in a couple of months i will see some improvement.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 07.57 by Jone205

Hey, I was also wondering the same thing. I can honestly say 70% of my diet definitely has an affect on my psoriasis. Whenever I eat fatty foods, have a fair amount of chocolate, cheese or alcohol it flares up massively and is very itchy! I'm going to the doctors this week to see if I can have some blood tests done so I can eliminate things in my diet. It's so frustrating isn't it? I just want answers!

Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 22.02 by andrea

I am now into week 4 of my g/f free, dairy & meat free diet. the psoriasis hasn't gone but the red spots on my stomach have calmed down and you can hardly see them until I moisturise that area then they show up but settle down again in a couple of hours. I will plod on as I am enjoying the food as there are lots of recipies I am trying. I am not using any creams except zerodouble to moisturise. I think there are foods that trigger it so I will gradually start to introduce some in a few weeks to see if there is a flare up. We are all different so it's trial and error and yes very frustrating!

Posted Sat 1 Apr 2017 12.26 by Kasia (edited Sat 1 Apr 2017 12.26 by Kasia)

I was on a special diet twice past 1,5 years, three months each time. I have to say that each time my psoriasis improved by 50% and cleared up completely on my hands. I was consuming very small amount of meat (chicken or turkey only) and small amount of fish. 70-80% food I ate was vegetables and fruits. I have not eaten anything deep fried and limited diary products (no cheese). No sugar, no alcohol, no wheat, no coffein, no nightashade vegetables. I drunk a lot of water. I really recommend changing a diet, it will definitely help. It's very hard to keep it for long time but it's worth it! I've just started plant based diet couple of weeks ago with an aim to keep it for longer time this time :-) That means no animal products at all, no diary including eggs. I'm really looking forward to see the results. Remember no nightshade vegetables, no sugar, no coffee, no alcohol, no wheat. I also recommend to look at the amount of acid and alkaline formed foods you consume to keep acid-alkaline balance. I know all of this sounds like a lot, it's difficult to eliminated everything at once. I tried to elimitnate some specific foods first. You can really get used to it and enjoy eating healthier. I'm afraid a change of life style to some extend is necessary. Try to sleep 8hrs a day, don't eat late in the evening, excersise few times a week. Check the level of VitD3 by doing a blood test! Take supplements if you have deficiency (I bet you do). We all different as well so you may expiriance different results. Couple of interesting books I read recently: Healing Psoriasis - John Pagano and The China Study - Colin Campbell

Posted Sun 2 Apr 2017 22.37 by andrea

I am encouraged by your reply Kasia. I have been using recipies from Hanna Silitoe book Radiance. As Hanna has had remarkable improvement from her GF and high alkaline diet. My psoriasis is flat and pale now without using creams although I am on methotrexate it was coming back and red. So I decided a healthier eating plan was needed. I am drinking herbal teas now and all GF free cereals and rice milk and using only dates cranberries and honey to sweeten anything. Seeds and nuts are now in my diet also and fruit and veg only meals.

Posted Thu 6 Apr 2017 14.11 by Psoriasaurus Rex
Sick and tired of scratching the surface - want a cure.

Thanks guys for all the encouraging replies, glad to have read through a wide range of ideas.

Posted Sat 20 Oct 2018 23.14 by DH

I have been using monistat 7, over the counter, for a rash on the palm of my hand. Not sure if it was psoriasis or yeast, as sweating with a tennis racket irritated it. It has taken weeks, but is now almost gone. Also, Kasia, you said you were eating lots of fruits and vegetables. Simply eating blueberries worked for me after eating them daily for 4 weeks with no other change in my diet. They have helped others. Check out the “Blueberries cleared my Psoriasis” thread on this website. It is truly amazing!

To take part, sign in or register with us