I'm new & looking for advice please x

Posted Mon 6 Feb 2017 21.27 by laulychilds

Hi all!! I am new to this and also new to psoriasis. I am 18 years old, I have a pretty full on job in the caring industry with a lot of responsibility. I also have a rocky relationship with my dad so the two combined causes me a lot of stress. At the beginning of December 2016, I found lots of dry and red skin patches all over my large thigh tattoo. I then continued to find small patches the same on my legs, elbows and back. My scalp then began to flake and also my eyebrows (which are tattooed and now ruined). I went to the doctors who said I have very slight psoriasis and has given me a steroid cream called Betnovate, Betacap for my scalp and Cetraben as an all over moisturiser. I have seen no improvement at all and I've been using these products for about 2 months now (due back for a review). I have heard that stress is a big factor for psoriasis so I have tried to spend my evenings chilling out with face masks, bubble baths and early nights etc. I have also heard that certain foods can have an impact too. I'm just asking if there is any advice anyone can give me. Being young and a new sufferer it's really affecting my confidence and I just want it to go away. Does anyone here know of any creams I can buy? Or a diet plan? Or home remedies? Soaps I should be avoiding? I'm willing to try anything. I hope you are all well, hope to speak soon. Thanks. Lauren xxx

Posted Mon 6 Feb 2017 23.30 by Psoriasaurus Rex
Sick and tired of scratching the surface - want a cure.

I have found Sorion cream to be incredible; can only get it off Amazon UK though.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 2017 11.17 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Hi Lauren, One of the best bits of advice I can give you is to try and accept the condition for what it is. It is distressing and unsightly, but the unfortunate thing is you're probably going to be stuck with it to varying degrees for the rest of your life. Researching and connecting with other people who have the same condition has really helped me accept this and there are so many people out there dealing with the same thing you are and living their best lives. I know it feels like everyone is looking at you if you expose your patches, but honestly, most people will give you a cursory look and move on. If anyone does ask what's wrong with your skin, have an answer prepared and educate them on what Psoriasis is! Spread the knowledge. You've done nothing to bring this on yourself and you shouldn't feel ashamed or let it stop you doing what you want to do. The sooner you become comfortable with your skin the easier it is to deal with anyone who can't. I was 22 when mine first appeared (31 now) and I was heartbroken but you will find people out there who will accept you for you, patches and all. Most folk are kind and understanding and the ones that aren't are people you need to clear from your life. Try reading blogs by other sufferers, Twitter is a great place to connect with people and share tips and experiences. I've heard of lots of new treatments via Twitter (Phillips BlueControl, Loyon etc) and they often are looking for volunteers or give free samples. There are even Psoriasis based comedy accounts which help poke fun at the daily struggles we all face. Take time out to be YOU and not a person with psoriasis - I've said it before elsewhere but we are not our skin condition, we're just people with excitable skin. Don't let this b*tch of a condition define you *hugs*

Posted Thu 23 Feb 2017 22.15 by Seffbev

Hi there has anyone tried enstilar foam ?? As I've heard it's very successful and only once a day for 4 weeks but I'm struggling to get it. Thanks Bev x

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 13.00 by Johnbeach47

Hi I am almost 70 and been suffering from p for the past three years and tried most medicated shampoos and none of them worked. Three weeks ago I started to use Penang Nutmeg Oil on my scalp and now is is clearing the problem. It has reduced the itching and scaling to almost nothing. I am only using the Oil twice a day now. I have also stopped using the medicated shampoos and gone back to using wash and go. Hope this helps J

To take part, sign in or register with us