NHS cut backs funding.

Posted Tue 14 Feb 2017 22.07 by Desgy
Hi had the condition since 16, quite mild really but still is annoying.

I am pretty pee'd off at the moment. I come under Wirral Health Authority. Suffered bad with scalp for years, paid to go private twice and found for me, a miricle cure. It was kinda invented in St. JAMES hospital, Leeds. It's quite an easy "recipe" 12% methylated coal tar, 2% salicylic acid, 2% polysorbate 20 and emulsifier to 100%. I only need it 3 nights a month and all is well. Problem is chemists no longer have ingredients and have to send away at a cost of about £120.00 but I only need 1 script a year, but GP under pressure on his drugs budget wont give it me anymore. So we have now started the cycle of the script preparations that have never really worked, you know the story, cocosis, but the cheaper sebco etc. I have even thought of making a version myself of just coal tar and emulsifier but can't source tbe ingredients. Anyone got any ideas?

Posted Wed 22 Feb 2017 15.23 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Coal tar paste is now completely unobtainable, or rather I have not had any luck sourcing a supply. My local chemist told me manufacturers have halted production due to the hazards the workers face in the production processes, which is why Polytar products were withdrawn. The rest of the ingredients you list are easy to obtain so all that is needed now is a supply of coal tar. If anyone knows of a supplier perhaps they can put the address or link in here.

Posted Thu 23 Feb 2017 22.19 by Seffbev

Try enstilar foam I'm going docs in week to get mine it's suppose to be very effective Bev x

Posted Sat 25 Feb 2017 12.40 by Desgy
Hi had the condition since 16, quite mild really but still is annoying.

Thanks guys

Posted Sat 25 Feb 2017 14.26 by HB

Enstilar can only be used for a month then only at weekends after this. It appears to suppress the lesions but they return as soon as it is ceased. Be warned!

Posted Mon 27 Feb 2017 20.47 by gingermonkey
For several years...drives me mad but won't bring me down.

That's not quite true, advice is for up to 8 weeks. By then if it works for you it will be back under control you can then use other stuff moisturisers etc to hold it off. I use enstilar infrequently now to deal with new break outs. I agree you never shift it completely, but it does help me.

To take part, sign in or register with us