Alternative to Dovonex/Daivonex

Posted Fri 24 Feb 2017 09.43 by pthr1985

Hi, I have been using Dovonex/Daivonex for years and it's great as I have very mild psoriasis and it negates the need to turn to undesirable steroid creams. However, my local pharmacist informed me it is being discontinued with Daivobet/Dovobet being the only derivative available. I am very reluctant to use steroid creams as I have had bad experiences with flare-ups in the past. Has anybody who has used Dovonex in the past found a reliable alternative? I feel like the pharmaceutical companies are conspiring to get us all to succumb to steroid creams which in the long-term cause a raft of comorbidities, such as glucocorticosteroid induced osteoporosis and increased risk of diabetes and hypercholesterolaemia to name a few, therefore cornering us into forking out more money for a host of new illnesses as a result of steroid overuse. Thanks for any help.

Posted Fri 24 Feb 2017 12.35 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Dovonex is just a manufacture's 'trade' name for the ingredient Calcipotriol and this is what my doc switched me to. Its not in a cream form but is an ointment in a tube so has to be lightly rubbed in. It works equally well as the gel form (Dovonex) and is easier to control the spread due to the viscosity/thickness of the ointment. Another good point is as its now in the generic form the cost to our NHS is less than the branded Dovonex. There was no conspiracy when the Dovonex was dropped from production because it was discontinued simply due to expiry of its patent period when exorbitant charges could be applied.

To take part, sign in or register with us