Fumaderm

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 22.42 by Betti

Hi has anyone been put on Fumaderm? This is my 3rd tablet after Apremilast and Acitretin didn't work due to bad side effects. I know side effects of Fumaderm but can't seem to find anyone who has been on it and if it works. Just into week 2 and psoriasis seems worse. Just wondering if this is how it progresses?

Posted Mon 27 Feb 2017 10.18 by Gareth

I've been on Fumaderm for a couple of years and swear by it. It's important to persevere through the first few weeks, where the description 'upset stomach' is a bit of a joke. (Let'sjust say I lost over a stone in three weeks). For that first few weeks, my psoriasis showed no improvement, but after that the improvement was incredible. My psoriasis - and my psoriatic arthritis- disappeared totally after about three months. Now, a couple of years on, the biggest area of psoriasis on my body is a single area about the size of a 1p coin. Stick with it for a few months. In the end, it might not work for you, but it's been wonderful for me.

Posted Tue 28 Feb 2017 18.12 by Betti

Thanks for the reply. Have to say the stomach upset hasn't yet kicked in but I'm waiting on it!! Here's hoping it works, thanks. Glad it's helped you.

Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 18.28 by Mini me

I started fumaderm nearly six weeks ago things been going ok started on the fumaderm intital first increasing weekly for 3 weeks then on to the full strength on my third week of taking and the stomach cramps and hot flushes are really kicking in now seeing very little improvement but there is improvement please tell me it gets easier I'm taking 3 a day now will be seeing consultant on Thursday who will be increasing to maximum dose not looking forward to the next 6 weeks. Really need people whom are taking this long term to tell me something positive as feel like give up with them, I'm frightened the side effect will stop me going to work what advice can anyone give me Thanks

Posted Thu 30 Mar 2017 23.21 by Betti

Hi. I am on my 6th week but can't get passed 2 full strength tablets a day. Tried the 3 but was in toilet most of weekend, nauseous and stomach cramps. Like you I was worried about work so had to reduce dose. I have guttate psoriasis and would say the spots are slightly less red but not a great deal of improvement yet. I have hospital tomorrow so will see what Consultant advises me. Think I will be kept on it but worried about what dose he will advise. Good luck to us both

Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 07.31 by Mini me

So as of this morning I have stopped fumaderm I can no long tolerate the side effects feel unwell all the time, stomach cramps and diarrhoea everyday this was taking 3 a day 120mg tablets was due to increase today just can't do it. Psoriasis has a lot to answer for so depressed with it all 😂😂😂.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 07.41 by Gareth

Stick with it! The stomach cramps, diarrhoea, etc lasted about two to three weeks with me, but then stopped as suddenly as it started and I've had no problems for the past couple of years. I was on three 120 mg tablets at the beginning, and my psoriasis more or less completely disappeared over the next few months. I'm now down to a maintenance dose of one tablet a day, and I'm staying psoriasis free.

Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 09.00 by Mini me

Thank you Gareth for your advice, I am going to try and Persevere and think positive it hard when ya feeling horrible, it good to hear from someone who has great results thanks again

Posted Sun 2 Apr 2017 17.35 by Betti

Hi I have struggled today with nausea stomach problems etc but have been ok for 2 days previously. Today I can see a difference in psoriasis. Not as firey and less itchy. I hope this is me turning the corner. Been on 3 tablets since Friday so I'm going to persevere with side effects to hopefully get rid of psoriasis. Keep going with it !!

Posted Tue 4 Apr 2017 08.46 by Mini me

So update as advised by my consultant I can take all the tablet together currently 3 raising to 4 next week so you get all the side effects in one hit, was slightly concerned about this method, consultant theory is spacing them out gives you side effects all day which yes I agree so thought I give it ago last night 3 tablets down the hatch at 7.30pm woke this morning feeling ok then boom 💥 it hit me stomach cramps horrendous and diarrhoea only lasted 30 mins then went, am hoping that is it as now I feel great and ready for my day will update tonight with how my day went wish me luck !!

Posted Fri 7 Apr 2017 18.01 by Betti

How did you get on Angela? Still coping with it? Unfortunately Im now off Fumaderm. Got a really high reading from a white blood count this week so investigations going on. Disappointed as thought it was beginning to help. At least ,for now, I've got no toilet issues. Hope it works for you

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 17.34 by Richiemaxx

Hi all. I have been taking Fumaderm for about a year now. Amazing results and so happy with the way my skin is now. It took about 2 1/2 months for any noticeable improvement but once the improvement started it rapidly worked. I got no stomach cramps or anything like that. The only side effect I get is headaches. They come for a week or two then go away for about a month before starting again. The biggest problem I have is actually getting the medication. Each time the hospital put a prescription in to the hospital pharmacy I get a call from the pharmacy to say they are having problems getting the Fumaderm from the supplier. So it takes about 2 weeks to get it in stock. Luckily I lowered my dosage myself so always have some in reserve. Hope this helps any questions.

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 21.55 by Mini me

I am now up to 5 tablets daily and starting to see good signs of improvements, I am around 16-18 weeks in of starting them. My side effects are few and far between now still from time to time get stomach cramps, I now take my tablets all at night time instead of spacing out over the day, getting any side effects first thing in morning which I can cope with, really hope the improvements continue. I never have any problems with getting the medication from my local hospital I live in the north of England !!

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 10.43 by lburch2017

Hi started my fumaderm last Thursday, having hot flushed once a day, have been on this drug before and it cleared all my psoriasis up for the first time in 25 years!! stomach cramps only once (so far!!) on the 6th week I am meant to be on 6 tablets a day - watch this space (if I can get off the loo :)

Posted Tue 13 Jun 2017 19.07 by Kirstmcp

After weighting up all the options with my lovely dermatologist I've decided that Fumaderm is worth a shot. I've had psoriasis for more than 25yrs and it has gotten worse as the years have gone by. I've tried loads of topical treatments, 5 lots of PUVA and bath PUVA which I liked but you can only fry in a box for so long. Acitretin which was awful, when my hair started falling out and I had no eyelashes enough was enough. Lately I've been taking 15mg methotrexate orally but my psoriasis crept back after initially clearing a bit. I had two chest infections in succession which interferered with regime and so chose to stop to help my immune system recover a bit. At the moment my Psoriasis is the worst it has ever been and I'm hoping Furmaderm will be the answer to my prayers. I work for NHS who have a naked from the elbow down policy so there is no where to hide or cover up when I'm at work but I notice the looks I get from people. I've been trawling the internet all day having made my decision to start and overwhelmingly the chat seems to be you'll probably have some nasty stomach problems and some flushing but if you power through and can tolerate these side effects the the results are remarkable. The prospect of having the odd glass of wine is a delight after two plus years of no alcohol when on acitretin and methotrexate so happy days.

Posted Wed 14 Jun 2017 16.29 by Mini me

I can honestly say I still suffer with the odd stomach cramp and diarrhoea, I have adapted my tablet regime to suit me and my working life I still continue on 5 tablets a day taken all at once and I am almost psoriasis free. saw the consultant 3 weeks ago who has prescribed some steroid cream for the stubborn areas hips for me which has cleared it up in this time, for the first time in a very long time I can wear short and strapped top and not feel embarrassed. I will say at the beginning was the worse thing ever nearly Gave up several time but hearing the success Stories on here have made me carry on good luck keep us updated, if ya need a mood we are here xx

Posted Mon 26 Jun 2017 13.36 by Kirstmcp

So I got my medication this morning, bloods done last week and good to go, but have to admit I'm terrified to start. I've read through all the bumph and it says take after meal but I've read in other forums people have taken them with food during meals? What works best for everyone else?

Posted Mon 26 Jun 2017 22.33 by Mini me

I always take after my evening meal, have on the odd occasion taken on a empty stomach very rare, not advised bad side effects. Hear some people take with a yogurt which coats the tablets Lessing the side effects. Different for everyone. I am after 25 year psoriasis free started fumederm 5 months ago best thing ever can now wear the clothes I wish. At the beginning side effects can really put ya off but stick with it, I only have the odd time now good luck keep us updated on you progress x

Posted Mon 26 Jun 2017 22.51 by Gareth

So glad that Mini me stuck with it, and that fumaderm has had the desired effect. I'm staying pretty psoriasis free after a couple of years. Stay with it, Kirstmcp, and you'll be amazed at the improvement after your system settles down. I take mine after breakfast every day and find this works fine for me.

Posted Mon 10 Jul 2017 12.15 by Kirstmcp

On to 3rd and final week of initial dose and have to say it's all been ok so far. Only thing I've noticed is psoriasis patches are bright red. Not expecting much improvement till few weeks into 120mg tabs but still hopeful I might get to wear something sleeveless before summer is gone.

To take part, sign in or register with us