Eating Blueberries has cleared up my psoriasis

Posted Tue 31 Aug 2021 22.50 by Pladecalvo

My psoriasis has never been severe. Two weeks ago I noticed I was starting to put on a little too much weight. I went onto a fasting regime in which I eat nothing between the hours of 9pm to 11 am. From 11am to 9pm I can eat normally. This regime requires (for me) large amounts of water, at least 2 litres. What I have noticed is that my spots are considerably less red. Some have almost faded to nothing. Is it the water which is particularly good for the skin? Is it the fasting that is supposed to get rid of the toxins? All I know is that it appears to be working...and there is the added bonus that it reduces your weight! Something else I've been doing for a few months is taking a 2000UI vitamin D tablet every day... and for the last week, one glass of Kefir daily. It's worth a try folks. Let me know how you get on if you try it.

Posted Mon 20 Sep 2021 16.56 by Sthnguyen (edited Mon 20 Sep 2021 17.04 by Sthnguyen)

I've been on blueberries since December 2019. It is part of my nearly daily regimen. I still use an biologic and other herbs but I am mostly clear. Can't quite get rid of the occasional daily itching where my skin (even in an unaffected area) goes red. Also can't get rid of the large patches on my lower legs of not 100% healed skin, that never goes away, where you can see discoloration or roughness of the skin, reminding me that I am not over it. I know that this thread is about blueberries but I found something that may push me to the 100% clear route. Everything is intertwined so my story seems convoluted at first. I have a lot or problems sleeping through the night so I thought that I would try ionic magnesium citrate (Calm and others) and wow that really works. My magnesium level must have been low. I drink lots of diet caffeinated sodas and found out after the fact that caffeine and sodas washes out the magnesium in your body. The miraculous thing is that I notice that the itching stopped and my skin got better within a week or so. It's been about 2 weeks since taking magnesium and my skin is nearly all healed. You can barely see the coloration differences, its fading slowly but surely. The itching has disappeared and it's also how my body tells me something is wrong. I went back and search online hand found that other people has also had success with magnesium and with vitamin D3 and K2 Mk-7. There are other, much older threads (2014) on magnesium. I thought that I would bring this up as it is a new to me discovery and it may benefit others. Like everything, it doesn't work for everyone. I have started to add D3 and K2 but keeping that level low because you can overdose with D3. The hypothesis is that there is too much calcium in your psoriatic skin cells. Maybe calcium facilitate some sort of inflammatory process/reaction. Magnesium pulls the calcium from your skin cells and puts it in your blood stream. Vitamin D3 and K2 takes the calcium and puts it into your bones. Too much D3 by itself is bad because D3 can cause hardening of the arteries (calcium in your arteries), kidney stones, etc. so K2 solves that problem by regulating and taking the excess calcium in your bloodstream and depositing where it is needed (your bones). This is also why I am not supplementing with calcium. Magnesium is a great supplement in that it helps with blood sugar, diabetes, inflammation, osteoporosis, high blood pressure. I take 650mg of ionic magnesium citrate at night before bed and 5000iu (125mcg) D3 and 100mcg of K2 MK-7 twice daily. 10000 iu of vitamin D has been shown to not cause toxicity and with vitamin K to regulate calcium in your bloodstream I feed pretty safe. I may cut back on D3 and K2 in a month or two.

Posted Mon 20 Sep 2021 19.26 by Talia

Great post thank you 🙏🏽

Posted Fri 1 Oct 2021 18.54 by ReptileSkin

Tried the blueberry thing for a month, I have plaque psoriasis. Had little effect.

Posted Fri 1 Oct 2021 20.54 by buw87pi

@Sthnguyen I wanna try what you said with vitamin D, k2 mk7 and magnesium. Did you take twice 5000 IU a day of vitamin D directly or did you increase dose gradually? I wonder if taking 125 mcg or 250 mcg k2 per 5000 IU is the same? i've seen many supplement with 250 mcg of k2 with any amount of vitamin D

Posted Fri 1 Oct 2021 21.13 by Talia

Posted Sat 2 Oct 2021 06.30 by Pladecalvo

@ reptileskin. Blueberries had no effect on me either but I have had good results from fasting. I fast for 16 hours per day and eat normally for 8 and drink at least 2 liters of water a day, preferably 3 litres. I also take one 5000 IU vitamin D3 tab a day. After 5 weeks I now only have a few faint pink marks where it was once red and itchy. I've also lost 3 kg in weight so bonus all round.

Posted Sat 2 Oct 2021 14.01 by buw87pi (edited Sat 2 Oct 2021 14.06 by buw87pi)

@Pladecalvo Lucky you. i've been fasting for 2 years soon, rarely eating processed and transformed food, or at least very much less than in the past. I do exercices but it's still spreading. I've tried some new stuff and though it still spreads, the flakes seem to be less thick aand super slowly it become circle with normal skin inside and not filled circle anymore. I try to eat some blueberries, introducing them in my diet. Because of fasting, my aim to gain weight for exercices in gym was hard haha. Fasting makes my weight really stable, or even losing weight when i eat less. It's hard to gain weight with fasting. I feel more energy though since i fast and do exercise more. But my pso hasn't cleared yet. I'm also trying curcuma supplement right now and burdrock root in herbal tea. Also camomilla tea. Dunno if it's all combined that make my skin super slowly better. What bothers me is that it still spreads though i see some improvement on others areas of my body. It's really hard to understand this condition, and why it evolves this way

Posted Sat 2 Oct 2021 16.46 by Sthnguyen (edited Sat 2 Oct 2021 16.47 by Sthnguyen)

@buw87pi I started with 10000 iu of Vitamin D directly and have not increased the dosage. 10000 iu is probably a safe dosage that can be taken over a very long period of time. The main thing is to take vitamin K so that you do not get arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). With vitamin K, the calcium gets deposited in your bones instead of your kidneys, veins, arteries, etc. I take vitamin D/k with magnesium at the same time and usually before I sleep because they work together. I also use magnesium oil when needed but it now not needed much. Things are still going well. Visually, my skin looks good but I can still feel the roughness. Hopefully this will clear over time because it takes a while for your skin to completely regenerate.

Posted Sat 2 Oct 2021 17.15 by buw87pi (edited Sat 2 Oct 2021 17.17 by buw87pi)

@Sthnguyen (does @ actually work? i'm new to this forum, i don't know how to cite someone). Thank you for information. From what i understood, you take vitamin D (10 000 IU) + K (100 mcg) at the same time, twice a day. Then before going to bed, you take magnesium just once a day? I bought vitamin D (4000 IU per capsule because it was the cheapest with much capsules), k2 mk7 (100 mcg per capsule), and citrate of magnesium (it didn't say ionic on the bottle so idk if that's still okay). ( 750 mg tri-magnesium-dicitrate, including 120mg of magnesium per capsule). Is it the right way? I wanna be sure i'm on the safe way. You seem to say it's safe so i hope i won't have any problem ! So it's barely 3 weeks you've begun taking vitamin D + vit k2 + magnesium ? Do you think we need to take break like 1 month after taking it for 2 or 3 months? Idk if it's good to take high amount of these for the long run. Well, i'm experiencing anything anyway. i will try when i get my products, and hopefully if i see improvement or even much clearing, i will let you know, and everyone here ! And Maybe lower doses if it's completely clear to check if it's really because i have low vitamin D that my skin has pso and much dried skin (yeah my skin has become super dried because of PUVA, and it worsened my pso. It's always dry and my skin got super old. That was a bad idea to try that since it didn't help at all and worsen my skin, damaged it). I've been searching for any natural treatment, i hope this will help my condition and clearing most of it if not completely clear it

Posted Sun 3 Oct 2021 00.59 by Half Pint

This is fascinating! I have suffered with scalp psoriasis for over 4 years, had every lotion and potion prescribed and been asked 'what do you want me to do? It is just your scalp' by the dermatologist. Only option is methotrexate _ which I really do not want! Although it is 'just my scalp' I scratch until my scalp is raw and feel really embarrassed. Off to buy blueberries tomorrow. Has anyone tried blueberry supplements?

Posted Sun 3 Oct 2021 06.49 by Sthnguyen (edited Sun 3 Oct 2021 07.08 by Sthnguyen)

@buw87pi I just take 10000 iu of vitamin D3, 200mcg of vitamin K2 (MK-7), 650mg magnesium citrate = 150% of the daily requirement (it is basically magnesium carbonate reacted with citric acid in water ) at night, that's it. I bought a big vat of magnesium citrate (20 oz) at Costco for something like $25 USD. It is a two months supply at my dose. Similarly I bought Upnourish Liposomal D3 +K2 365 softgels = 6 months supply for $20 USD. You may be too concerned about safety but I see nothing in the literature that this is at an unsafe level especially for the magnesium, but you'll need to do your own research. I would probably go for the ionic version of magnesium as this will absorb better. The pills may not dissolve in your stomach or may not deliver the full efficacy vs the ionic version. At the amount of magnesium the pill provides, you will need to take five pills? Magnesium citrate and glycinate are probably the best form to take, but I hear that glycinate tastes horrible. For me, I saw an immediate change in less than a week with itchiness and skin getting better noticeably in probably a week. Reduce or eliminate your intake of all carbonated sodas because this will flush out the magnesium in your system then causing you to be deficient again. Your kidneys will eliminate any excess magnesium that your body doesn't need. Caffeine is probably not as bad as sodas but if you take three to four cups of coffee maybe go down to one. You do not need to take any calcium supplements as this is counteract this protocol. Besides the vitamin D and K will greatly improve the uptake of the calcium in your body to your bones. Like I said, use magnesium oil as a spray on where your skin is needed or when the itch comes up even where your p does not exist. I get itch spells and huge redness in areas completely unrelated to where my p is but it is a signal that there is something of an imbalance in my body. So if this working you'll see a decrease or elimination of the itch spells. Magnesium oil is super cheap at $5 USD per bottle that may last 3-6 months at the rate I am using it. I initially used it a lot (several times a day) but now it may be only when I itch anywhere on my body. I would use a lotion after the spray so that your skin does not dry out and enhance the adsorption of the magnesium. I see no reason to take any breaks. I am not sure your body gets acclimated to this protocol. If it gets better where you are satisfied then you may reduce the intake. But once again, you are not taking megadose so it is probably not necessary. And it is not something your body build tolerance to, Hope that helps. Good luck and report back in a few weeks.

Posted Sun 3 Oct 2021 07.02 by Sthnguyen (edited Mon 4 Oct 2021 03.54 by Sthnguyen)

@Pladecalvo Fasting works for me in the past as well but the issue is when you start eating more/again your skin becomes bad again. You'll need to re-introduce foods and see what doesn't cause your p to come back. @buw87pi If your p just spread somewhere else but dies in other areas, I would say that all you've done was shifted your p somewhere else unless overall there is an improvement. My p can move from one area to another but can maintain about the same amount. It is in a different location because my body is different (such as responding to the different types of food I eat) but my p is still the same. I completely got rid of my p on my scalp, elbows, partially knees, 20+ years ago by using mono-ethyl fumaric acid ester taken internally. The p never came back in those places. It somehow reset my skin cells where p never came back. Thank goodness because I would be mostly bald by now but I still have much of my hair except a few spots where the p was bad. Weird but true.

Posted Mon 4 Oct 2021 12.57 by buw87pi

@Sthnguyen Yeah certainly? Actually it started with hair then it spreads on my back. For a few years it's been spreading on other parts of my body (face, neck, arms..) anywhere What I dont understand is why these areas and not only the back or head ? I've been searching for answers, if the areas it's spreading indicates specific problems or that my pso just gets worse and randomly spreads anywhere? Hopefully it would clear gradually AND NOT spreading to more areas. It's really bothering. And my plaques are really slowly healing, sometimes worse again then okay again. Quite hard to follow. Dunno if its because of food,lack of vitamins, too much stress? Turmeric and priobotics seem to have a weak good effect . Imma see if vitamin D K2 and magnesium might help much! Maybe I need a combination of various stuff to get better. One thing might not be enough. I will update here if anything has got better, or rather ,better faster ! I live in a country with not much sunlight and I don't go outside enough. Vit D3 won't hurt I guess. I might lack of that a lot ( I have more brown skin than light)

2 Posted Wed 6 Oct 2021 18.22 by Sthnguyen

@ buw87pi Your brown skin is an disadvantage to you in an area of no light. It can be an equivalent to an SPF of 8. So you may need to be in the sun 8 times longer to get the same amount of sunlight as someone with light skin. A reason why you need magnesium is that it converts vitamin D into an active form and also regulates vitamin D. "All of the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D seem to require magnesium" (NIH). Your doctor can do a vitamin D level test (or mail-in on your own) but now that you are taking supplements it will not be your normal level. Many people are deficient in vitamin D. In Traditional Chinese Medicine where your psoriasis is located is indicated of the state inside your body and that's how they treat you, based not only on your condition but where it is located. You indeed may need a combination of many different herbs, minerals, etc. I know that I use many different things. Not sure whether any one of those one thing works or all of them are needed. I think that it is important to eliminate p as soon as it arises in any new location, otherwise your skin goes into this positive feedback loop that once you get it, it stays. Once you completely get rid of it as soon as it pops up, it goes away, maybe not forever but maybe years. I use hydrocortisone on any new area immediately and within a day or it so it is completely gone and then it usually stays away.

Posted Sat 9 Oct 2021 19.49 by buw87pi (edited Sat 9 Oct 2021 19.51 by buw87pi)

@Half Pint I didn't try supplement of blueberries. Right now i'm eating 10 blueberries a day, not everyday though but i try a few times a week. I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables anyway so it's not hurtful at all. But might not be enough either to have significant impact on my pso @Sthnguyen Since my skin is darker, i've made some research and putting sunscreen might not be a good idea for producing vitamin D (in summer time) ? Well, i know i wonder if it's safe not to put sunscreen at all. Actually my skin is asian, so not white, nor black. With the way of life we have, we stay in office all the day, so no sun at all ! And when going outside, not so much light either. Today there was more sun than usual so i sunbathed for 1hour30 min without sunscreen at all (since i read it blocks UV that makes vitamin D). Unfortunately, there is no sun everyday so i still need supplement. I didn't do blood test for vitamin D. I might do it soon, though, yes, it won't be my normal level without any supplement. But if i have any significant improvement in the next few weeks or months, and all i did was adding vitamin D, K2, Magnesium, and turmeric (and a few blueberries but not significant), i think i will know that those supplements helped for real. I might not know my level of vitamin D, but i would what works or not and that would be great news for me. Thanks for talking about chinese medicine, i should learn more about it. It's often in ancient medicine that we get answers and it seems more natural and better than the medicine of today :( because they always give medication like cortisone corticoid and such. For sure we must get rid of new patch of pso asap, but unfortunately, i don't have anything that can eliminate them efficiently. I don't want to use stuff like dovobet, cortisone or corticoid cream, spray or whatever because i've used them for about 10 years, they worked for a while, but my pso always come back and even get worse. It never solved anything, it only treats the symptoms, never the cause. That's why i'm trying to heal from inside, by changing my diet, doing exercise, taking supplement, plants, herbal tea etc. I might try magnesium oil for "treating quickly new patches", or ease them. i've made some research and apparently it might work, or at least help for itchy patches. Does anyone have try it here? Chloride magnesium, magnesium oil ? Or dead sea salt spray ? You talk about "positive feedback", never heard of it. Do you mean it's like a habit? The body gets used to have that "patch there" so it stays ? Maybe that's why once it's there, it's really difficult to get rid of. I had a new patch of pso a few weeks ago, and it has disappeared after i begin taking vitamin D. The rest of my body seems to be having some changes, i'm trying to observe any positive changes. it's been 4 days i begin vitamin D3 + K2 + Mg

Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 14.37 by km (edited Sun 2 Jan 2022 14.39 by km)

Hi All, It is January 2, 2022. I woke up at 1:30 am eastern and couldn't go back to sleep so I watched YouTube and googled psoriasis and the word blueberry caught me eye. I swear this is my year to get rid of this terrible and embarrassing affliction. I spent the next few hours reading everyone's posts. Decided to registered and here I am writing my very first post. After some time reading, I became very excited about the possibilities of blueberries. I waited until 6:00 am for my local store to open to get some. I am fortunate that I have access to both fresh and frozen blueberries. By 8:00 am, I had a blueberry smoothie. Just water & blueberries. So good! I am not going to go crazy counting out each berry. Measuring out a cup is fine with me. I am not on any medications. I use Vaseline only. I have tried many skin creams, lotions, and potions under the sun for over 20 years and none of them worked. Soaking in Empson salt helps with the flakiness and apple cider vinegar works too. I have tried fasting, sauna ( sweating), liver cleanse, colon cleanse, etc. and none of them worked. If anything, it just irritates my intestines more. I find that if I can calm my overall body inflammation, my skin is less flaky and less red and my body can start to heal itself. Sorry for the long post. I will keep track of my blueberry journey and update everyone. Happy New Year!

Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 15.22 by Talia

Ive just bought a juicer and i plan to juice alkaline fruit that provide k1 like kale broccoli none citrus fruit which make my skin worse. I plan to take vitamin d3 and have read selenium and zinc help remove excess calcium from the blood. I plan to try to eat an akaline diet less meat and hope for the best. I dont mean to put a dampener on but i dont think just eating blue berries is going to cure us sadly

Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 22.18 by Pladecalvo

@ km. Good luck. Blueberries didn't work for me but as you can see from the thread, it has worked for many. Keep us posted.

Posted Tue 15 Feb 2022 18.28 by Maggie78

Diagnosed with Psoriasis last month Jan ‘22 Its been a roller coaster of three years… having a baby during pandemic and no help, just as we were just about managing with a toddler and her tantrums, I developed gynac issues of heavy bleeding which lasted weeks (Jan to Nov last year) got a respite from it in Nov / Dec after a DnC and that’s when the skin broke out in rashes in Jan and was diagnosed with Psoriasis. Been struggling the past 4 to 5 weeks with intense itching. Whole scalp is covered and have patches on the legs, elbows, full gluteal region and some on back and shoulders…. Dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate and use of TGel and TSal. Been trying blueberries for 3 weeks now and the patches on the legs seem to be healing, scalp is really awful still. Had a couple of questions for Miracle Phil, Chrissy and anyone else who can give some advice: 1. Do the blueberries help with Scalp Psoriasis as well? If yes, how long did it take to help you: the usual 6 to 8 weeks? 2. Is there any cream / moisturizer (non-steroid) that you use on the scalp that reduces the itching and dryness created by the steroid and constant washing with Tgel & Tsal? Really desperate for a solution as the scalp itching and dryness is driving me insane!!

To take part, sign in or register with us