Diagnosed today with Psoriasis

Posted Mon 10 Apr 2017 19.50 by Sam (edited Mon 10 Apr 2017 19.55 by Sam)

Hello everyone, I'm Sam and and I am 19 years old. Today, I got diagnosed with Psoriasis; which is mainly on my belly in singular spots, not combined. It also itches on another area of my body. I've had acne on my back for quite some time (having both isn't nice! Thankfully my face and arms are clear), and at first I just thought my Psoriasis was flea bites from our cats or something, I'm going to get cream tomorrow from my GP and I am being reffered to a Dermatologist. I'm just a little bit in shock and I'm quite upset by it all; I work in catering and I am worried I could lose my job, and I am also worried that this will have long term implications for me - what if it never clears up and I want to go swimming? I never thought I'd get a chronic skin condition/disease; and now, here I am. I have so many questions, and to be honest I don't really know where to start. I just want to know if it will ever clear, and would eating healthily also help? The only reason for my psoriasis that I can think of is that I have been very stressed/depressed for a long time and I do have anxiety, I'm just shocked that it would cause all of this, though. I did have some itching sometime last year and I was prescribed cream for it, but It was mainly for a pain rather than a skin condition but I did notice it, but then, I ignored it and now it's seemed to spread to my belly - and I'm really cross at myself. What if it spreads further?

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2017 03.22 by Joxx

Hi Sam, I'm young too and felt the exact same way you did , and still kinda do, it's a really hard thing to accept and takes a lot of time, everyone's different but changing my diet didn't change much for me, I was under a lot of built up stress when it first appeared and I'd say mine does get a lot worse with stress which is hard to control because I stress over it sometimes, I didn't talk about it ever up until I found this website a few days ago and I'm not sure why just couldn't speak to someone that didn't understand what it was like, I really want to help you and will answer any questions, but I'm still the same looking for something that will clear it or even calm down the symptoms, even if you just want a rant or someone to talk to, me and a lot of people on this site will be here for you, so sorry this has happened to you too x

To take part, sign in or register with us