Advise please

Posted Sat 22 Apr 2017 09.47 by AdrianC
Had Psoriasis for 34 years and tried most types of treatments

I started suffering with Psoriasis when I was 3 months old (now 34) and have tried near enough all the normal treatments. However my normal GP retiered and now I am struggling to get difftent treatments. I have never been offered UV treatment even after showing my GP how much improvement I get when on holiday in hotter/sunny climates. Has anyone got any advice how I might be able to get UV treatment? Thanks

Posted Sat 22 Apr 2017 12.31 by Twinx

Ask your GP to refer you to your dermatologist as they are more likely to say yes. You dont need your doctor's approval, as the dermatologist are more qualified to provide light treatment. Hope you get the referral?

Posted Mon 24 Apr 2017 16.41 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Could you afford to buy a small light unit yourself to try for home treatment? From looking on the internet a smaller portable unit can be bought for well under £200 delivered, right up to £900 for a large multi-tube job for all over treatment.

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 17.45 by ShabbyClown

Isn't it expensive to buy a small light unit? Maybe you should see your dermatologist and ask if UV treatment is the right thing for you, what works for other might not work for you so you gotta be sure before you try anything.

Posted Mon 1 May 2017 21.44 by Jackie

Hi the UVB light treatment definitely works, I have had it twice at hospital but they only allow it once a year, the dermatologist referred me and it does clear up but after a few months it starts to come back. I purchased a uvb bed and in a week have noticed the difference in my joints which were thick. I plan to use it daily till it clears and then just maintain it from there. There is also tablet you can get that clear it up, so I would go to a dermatologist to discuss treatment.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 2017 07.16 by Rich

Doctors are there to provide you with a service but unfortunately they are governed firstly by cost of patient per treatment to the nhs. This is totally wrong and we have present and former governments to thank for this. Where patient care plays second fiddle which we have all experienced at some point, then you need to be strong with your gp and insist on what it is you want from them........don't be rude or aggressive or raise your voice but be firm in your wishes and do not let them fob you off they are there to provide a service so don't be intimidated by them!!

Posted Fri 30 Jun 2017 20.36 by James

UV treatment never helped me, but its worth a try. Contact yr GP and they will refer you. I've heard good things about the new Philips blue light treatment.

To take part, sign in or register with us