Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 13.04 by Nichola

HELP! terrible scalp psoriasis, what are peoples advice on what to use, I have used everything from sea salt baths, olive oil, prescription creams, steroids and I am at a loss, has anything worked for anyone? the problem is on the head is that it makes my hair greasy I don't mind in an evening applying something but if it doesn't come off when washing my hair it reverses the effects of anything I put on as I am trying to wash It off the next day! thanks

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 15.00 by TeamClarkester

My psoriasis started in my scalp, I too am having great difficulty in treating it effectively. I have tried many creams, coconut oil which, although has had an effect everywhere else, is not helping much on my scalp - other than to make my hair look really shiny (greasy!) I would be very interested to learn what has worked for others also. I'll just keep picking for now...

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 17.09 by Nichola

i have also tried hemp oil - this was good but again grease! the only time it clears is when I am abroad....as soon as that sun and sea water gets on it I feel like a lizard with a new skin! anything prescription is great stings and works for the day then it comes straight back. cant moisturise 24/7 as I work full time. there has to be something. I do use sunbeds occasionally and I have to say although they are very bad....they are also very good

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2017 08.43 by EQ

Unfortunately like you both, I also suffer with scalp psoriasis and personally I think it's the worst place to suffer with. Especially as a woman. I haven't had much luck with anything that helps mine, there's only one 'cream' that seems to do the tiniest bit of difference and that's Cocois but again, as a woman it leaves your hair smelling horrible even after washing it out so many times with shampoo! Would be lovely to find out if anything helps anyone! I'm currently on Ciclosporin and have been for 3 months, my dermatologist is already talking about taking me off after summer but my skin has never cleared up, really gutted and looking for help!

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2017 09.09 by orangepeel

Having read the Enstilar forum messages on this site on Tuesday I went to the doctors and got Enstilar foam prescribed for my scalp and skin psoriasis as many people on the forum were using it for both conditions and getting great results. So from using it since Wednesday teatime there has been a dramatic change in my condition of what was raging itching,painful and burning scalp and skin to none of the aforementioned for my skin and milder for my scalp as having to wash my hair I think reduces the benefit (I currently use Body shop Ginger anti-dandruff shampoo recommended by other scalp psoriasis sufferers which has helped) as there is a particular ingredient (?) in most shampoo brands on the market that the scalp psoriasis reacts to. I would suggest you read the enstilar forum messages as some people have not been able to get a prescription but I would recommend you trying to get it and give it a go if you are medically suitable. I also got Aveeno body wash and moisturiser prescribed (also advised from the forum) but I haven't tried the body wash to wash my hair yet as I didn't want a bad reaction when trying something new when I have needed to go out through the week so I will try it over the weekend at some point and let you knowhow it goes. Good luck!

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 20.44 by Nettylh
Hi my name is Jeanette, but prefer netty. Im 46 and have a partner and 1 son and work for primark

Hi i also suffer from psoriasis in my scalp and tried several treatments but nothing seems to work. My scalp is very tight sore and itchy and flaky which can be really frustrating. Im due ti visit the doctors on friday so will ask about the foam mentiined in previous post, thank you.

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 20.55 by Nichola

Thank you, this Foam sounds like it's worth a try. At the weekend I bought Dermalex for head psoriasis - it was pricey and once again...hasn't worked. Think an appointment with the GP is in order. If I can ever get one 👍🏼

Posted Wed 3 May 2017 06.40 by TeamClarkester

Hi Nichola, I too have tried Dermalex... And completely agree with you. It is indeed pricey. and it doesn't work!

Posted Wed 3 May 2017 17.02 by orangepeel

Update on Enstilar foam after one week of using it - all the itching and pain has reduced considerably to my scalp and all over my body and the plaques have been eliminated. I now only have light pink patchiness in my scalp and on my skin from it being raging tomato red lumps of plaque everywhere. Enstilar foam is brilliant. Aveeno Body wash and moisturiser are also brilliant having used it for just under a week. Skin feels soft and smooth.

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 19.13 by Nettylh
Hi my name is Jeanette, but prefer netty. Im 46 and have a partner and 1 son and work for primark

I have just got the foam that was spoken about in the previous message but im not sure how to apply it to my scalp, it says apply direct to skin but its a bit difficult when your hairs in the way. Should i put it in my fingers onto my scalp?

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 09.17 by orangepeel

Nettylh - I have applied the Enstilar foam with my fingers to the areas around my ears and the base of my neck only and it has had amazing results (even though its all over my head the itching has stopped and the skin has dramatically improved (you couldn't tell I had it on but if that ok with you then put it everywhere on your head that is affected) - however I also started using Aveeno body wash for my hair/body and that has put so much moisture back in my skin - its all working brilliant - no plaques in my head or on my body after only two weeks of using and it continues to get better every day with the readness receding in many areas - some of the more stubborn areas are still red but so much better than they were. Just not itching and being painful so much is amazing. Good luck.

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 13.02 by Nettylh

Orangepeel - thanks very much for that, does the body wash affect your hair? And do you use a conditioner ? My scalp is so tight and itchy after i wash it and i have tried so many shampoos and spent so much money. Im currently using say yes to carrot which is for dry scalps but all natural. Thanks

Posted Mon 16 Jul 2018 15.20 by Margaret W

Hi, having tried lots of creams and potions from the doctor I am now three days into using Enstilar foam prescribed by my dermatologist. There is definitely an improvement - I put it on every night and shampoo off in the morning. However I have lost a good 50% of my hair since February and I’m sure this daily washing is only making that worse. I would be interested to know if you are losing your hair and does it grow back.

Posted Mon 16 Jul 2018 17.25 by Kath00

Betacap liquid not ointments or cream they make my scalp worse and capasal shampoo works for me

Posted Mon 16 Jul 2018 17.28 by Kath00

I lost a lot of hair and it has grown back It was dead straight befor now it has waves in it

Posted Mon 27 Aug 2018 09.26 by Marie

Hi, I am having terrible problems with scalp psoriasis. I am not responding particularly well to prescribed treatments by both the doctor and dermatologist (they work for a while but soon become less effective). I have thick plaques on my scalp which have caused hair loss in patches. It is so itchy, sore and feels really tight. I'm not sure about shaving my hair off due to causing more trauma, but was considering cutting it close to the scalp and then wearing a wig, has anyone else tried this? I am concerned about the wig causing itching? I have also noticed that in the areas where my hair has grown back it is now wavy? I also have straight hair! I am not sure if this would be useful to anyone else but a few days ago I tried using a few drops of peppermint oil in a handful of shampoo, it did ease the itching but doesn't seem to break down the plaques. M

Posted Tue 28 Aug 2018 12.21 by DebbieB

I'm new here (this morning) I just don't know where to turn . Last summer my scalp psoriasis got infected and I was on antibiotics for 9 weeks on and off . It's got pretty bad again and at some point during the day I'm close to tears with the itching or pain . I'm fed up with being told to just stop scratching it ! If only it was that easy . It's been bad for about 6 weeks the hot weather didn't help I have very thick hair apart from were it's thinning around the affected area. I feel like I'm wasting drs time now and have tried using Dermalex treatment gel for 3 weeks but the pain when using it leaves me in tears for an hour or so . I have just ordered a different shampoo and oil to try . I think it's time for a visit to the Doctor but I keep putting it off . Any advice will be greatly received

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 00.30 by Xtess_mpx

I recently have signed up to the psoriasis association, my scalp psoriasis has spread all over my head thanks to the cyclosporine capsules (neoral). The enstilar is incredible for sclap psoriasis but it does get resistant so I usually alternate between creams. Its spread everywhere after being on the pills for a month. Does anyone have advice in what other topical steroids that would work ir natural remedies? Thanks Tess

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 13.11 by DebbieB

Hi , I have been using itch magic scalp oil and itchy scalp treatment shampoo from argan organics for 3 days /nights and I am amazed by the results . I ordered from Amazon with next day delivery as I was getting desperate. Mine was slowly spreading over my scalp . I had open red sores (from scratching mainly), large patches of scaling , horrendous itching and pain that was affecting every , I didn't realise how much until it stopped after just one oil treatment and 1 shampoo the following morning . It's 100% natural which wasn't something I was specifically looking for and the reviews were very split but I was at my wits end and was willing to try anything . You use the oil in the evening (I didn't use as much as they suggested) it soothes and softens everything and you wash it off with the shampoo in the morning . The first morning my hair was full of huge loose flakes , which as horrible as it sounds was bliss ! There was no pain / pulling / tightness they just lifted off like magic ! Underneath was fresh (slightly pink) skin . The sores have healed I'm pain free , I have a few scales left that were very thick and large but they are shrinking quickly and I'm hoping in a few more days they will be gone and I can use the oil/shampoo once a week to keep it at bay . It might be worth a try for you , obviously I can't guarantee you get the same results but I really hope you do . My Husband said this morning he can't believe the difference in me . Good luck Debbie

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 13.17 by Xtess_mpx

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I'm going to have a look on amazon to order it. I'm so glad its getting better for you, there is nothing worse than thick flakes all over the scalp. Im hoping my light therapy comb in three weeks will make a difference and hopefully the oil too! Thanks Tess

To take part, sign in or register with us