Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 14.05 by DebbieB

Please post and let us/me know if you get good results , I'm really interested to know . I literally ordered it after being told I would have to wait 2 weeks for a Dr appointment as having an itchy head wasn't really cause for an extra appointment (our surgery fits in extras at the end of clinic for people that need to be seen) I wasn't expecting miracles so it was a lovely surprise .

Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 14.27 by Xtess_mpx

I'll make sure to let you know if there is improvement, just ordered it off amazon should be here by monday. Im hoping it will make a difference, its been a long 8years of nothing working. Thanks for the suggestion for the oil

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 09.06 by blodyn

Hello I have developed scalp psoriasis over recent months, and it's getting continually worse. It seems to be stress related, and I'm developing symptoms of anxiety. Firstly, I used Polytar shampoo, but saw no positive effects. I was then prescribed with betnovate from the doctor - the psoriasis spread during this time, so I stopped taking that following a discussion with the doctor. I have also been prescribed with antifungal shampoo - again, I dont see any benefits from that. Although they dont solve the problem, I have used Eucerin shampoo and liquid on my scalp - the shampoo feels lovely, and the liquid I put on my scalp does reduce the flaking and very uncomfortable itching. What is of concern is my hair loss - I have increasing bald patches on my scalp. And the flaking inside my ears and upper forehead is also uncomfortable. By now, I also have red blotches over my breasts, stomach and sides, and down my legs. And I have shiny red blotches underneath my breasts and in my armpits - athlete's foot treatment makes this more comfortable but is not a solution. My doctor has arranged for me to have a blood test - that was arranged at the end of July, and will happen next week; these things take time in Powys!!!!!! I have also been referred to a dermatologist - this will take at least 6 months (so I'm considering a private consultation as I wont have any hair left by this point!!!). I have arranged to see a herbalist and have an appointment within a fortnight, and following a quick telephne conversation with her when the appointment was made, it seems she will be giving me dietary guidance. I will definitely be trying blueberries as advised in another thread, but my main question is regarding the hair loss - is my hair likely to grow back??? Oh to have an instant remedy for psoriasis! Thanks for any feedback.

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 13.05 by Xtess_mpx

These prescriptions take a very long time living in powys too. I'm currently struggling a lot with my scalp. The solution that gave a temporary relief was enstilar foam I tried using this on the scalp rather than in the body and it cleared up massively about 4months ago. But the climate change gradually made my psoriasis worse so the steroids stopped working. However this is sooo reliving for the build up of scales after you take them off with olive oil or sebco. The unfortunate thing is that it makes your hair extremely greasy and takes ages to get out, tgel helps with getting the grease out. If you ask your dermatologist for these they come on prescriptions. This sounds weird but sleeping with clingfilm over patches with enstilar workes amazingly. Tecrimlinus/protopic is amazing for around the hairline and ears, although this does make your hair greasy again. Its horrible the amount of stress psoriasis sufferers go through just applying these creams. I can't guarantee the enstilar will help you but its so relieving because its in a foam form almost like fake snow the way it comes out so its really cooling for the scalp.

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 14.24 by Kul

Is argon oil any good for psoriasis and the scalp for flakey scalp

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 14.35 by Xtess_mpx

I didnt find argon oil did much for the scalp but it works good in the hair.

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 14.36 by blodyn

Thank you both for your feedback - both interesting. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow hopefully, and am going to ask for the medications you've suggested Tess. The Enstilar foam and stuff for my hairline sounds very interesting. I have tried the argon oil before going to bed one evening - it felt very good. However, my hair was so greasy in the morning it had to be washed; and every time I wash my hair, more handfuls fall out. I didnt buy the Argon shampoo however - would that help with the hairloss situation perhaps?? Two points I did not mention in my original post - I have tried Goat's Milk Cream on my skin which is soothing, but not a solution; and I've tried the Child's Farm moisturizer - that seemed to improve my skin initially, but after a few days, I had painful burning sensations when applying it.

Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 21.37 by Xtess_mpx (edited Sun 2 Sep 2018 21.41 by Xtess_mpx)

You are very welcome, the enstilar is very soothing unlike steroids with more acid in which are horrific. Its very greasy unfortunately but its worth it if it stops the build up of flakes. This also help take flakes off but its better suggested on the skin underneath after scales have come off. My hairline improved within a night of sleeping with the protopic but have to keep appling when it needed. I tried the moogoo stuff which works well for my cousin but it didnt make a difference for me. The things that helped me manage it a bit more is dairy substitutes instead of milk and cheese.

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 15.43 by Wynnie
Hi. I'm wynnie and I'm 36 and suffered with scalp psoriasis since I was around 21.

Is keeping the hair short a help. I have my hair shaved at the sides where my psoriasis is worst. Should I just have it cut with a scissors as I find it some how irritates my psoriasis having a shaver on it?? Any advice??

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 18.36 by Fifihen75

I was diagnosed with Psoriasis on my scalp when I was 7. I had long, thick red hair and slept with a cap and gold, tar alphosyl cream on my head every weekend. Over the years I had scalp treatments betnovate, dovonex, polytar, ceanal, denorex, dovobet as well and any time one was successful - the tolerance would soon build up so I gave up and learnt to take the teasing about the flakes. In my mid 30s the Psoriasis started to take over everywhere. The only relief I had was on holiday in the sea and sun - I felt like a normal person. I went to see a dermatologist who prescribed 10 weeks of heat treatment at the local hospital - 3 times a week. It worked. But only 6 weeks later - it was back. I've tried aqueous cream, oilatum, black chinese bamboo soap on my skin but I actually get the best results from dovobet gel. The problem is my scalp - as many of you note the creams are really greasy so I can't apply during the week when I need to be at work. My head is sooo bad and sore at the moment so I'm going to start working through your suggestions. Will let you know if I have any success.

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 18.44 by Kul

Have you tried Aveeno baby shampoo and all over body it eases the soreness and if you ask your doctor for methotrexate tablets but you will need blood tests if take them but they do work

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 21.26 by Bassy

Hello, I have been diagnosed with scalp psoriasis and so far had a really upsetting experience with it all. I went to the doctors with a small plaque and after the doctor thoroughly checked my head he found large bold patches around my scalp. I had photo's taken and a dermatologists asked to see me the following day. He confirmed that I had scalp psoriasis and said that hair loss can occur in some cases. I've been prescribed every possible treatment and nothing works. Does anyone else have patches of hair loss? Thank you

Posted Thu 6 Sep 2018 23.50 by Xtess_mpx

Hi, I have severe scalp psoriasis it spread even worse after taking cyclesporine as well as being really ill over the summer. It still bad atm but a few months ago I tried enstilar, its a strong steroid which can be prescribed vy your doctor. Although I am resistant atm with it, at the time for 4 months it kept my psoriasis under control and almost all of it cleared. The thing that made my scalp bad was the heat wave and climate change :( Im having light therapy soon, which I hope will improve it. Thanks so much Debbie for suggesting the magic scalp oil from argan organics. It hasnt stopped it building up but its extremely moisturizing and soothing. Its stopped the iching when its on, its ashame I have to go to school with washed hair and no oil in it because its so soothing when it on the actual scalp. I will be buying this scalp oil regularly to sooth my psoriasis. Thanks so much Tess

Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 08.21 by DebbieB

Morning , I'm with you with not being able to go out with it on . I'm very lucky I work from home and for the first 2 days I was putting the oil on in the afternoon when the itching and feeling of dryness was getting irritating again . It was the heatwave that set it all off again for me as well so I'm glad it's cooled down I think that has helped as well . I am awful at keeping to a treatment routine , got into bed last night without putting oil on "oh one night won't make much difference" my husband insisted I went and did it :) I'm glad you have had a bit of success with it . I hope the light treatment helps you Debbie

Posted Sun 9 Sep 2018 09.33 by wanderer

Hi I very much feel that with this condition, which I be had for about 3 years, you sometimes win the battle but you never win the war. Tried a number of things over the period. They may improve things for a while but then you are back to square one. I think stress is a major player for me. As the lumps and redness start to march across your scalp it's very frustrating. I ve found shorter hair is helpfull and being a guy it's not so much of a problem with minor hair loss. There are couple of things I m going to give a go from this thread and keep my fingers crossed....again.

Posted Sun 9 Sep 2018 10.34 by Marie

Hello, I have started using aqueous cream again I had to stop in the past due to an infection in my scalp: but I had to have one specific for me, made by the pharmacist with 3% salicylic acid and 3% sulphur, it is definitely breaking down the scales but not really helping with the itching. When I wash my hair I am now also using diluted dead sea salt to rinse with, it does seem to be easing the itching. I'm still not sure about peppermint oil as I also have allergies but I do think it eased the itching. I need to speak dermatologist about this.

Posted Sun 9 Sep 2018 10.36 by Kul

Hi again my son has tried the aveeno lotions and he has said they are definitely better than most ointments prescribed by the doctor instead of going Tesco or boots or supermarkets they are cheaper at your local B&M and Savers or Home Bargains I found out I done abit of shopping around it really does ease the itching and soreness for him hope this helps

Posted Wed 19 Dec 2018 04.52 by KATL09

Hi all - I have not posted before but felt compelled to share. I have struggled with the heartbreak of scalp P for more than 15 years. I recently tried enstilar foam and within a month was able to schedule a haircut without stress. Those of you with plaques know how big a deal that is. It is essential to remove the plaques first - I use Dermasmooth oil (prescription, generic version) or even olive oil or coconut oil left on overnight with a shower cap. Lice comb (order on Amazon) to get the plaques off the scalp once softened. Enstilar after that has kept the plaques from returning. I'm trying not to use it too much to avoid resistance - once or twice a week max to maintain. After 5 weeks still good. I can mix coconut oil nights in with it and am still clear. Take this advice from someone who thought they would never be clear!

Posted Sat 22 Dec 2018 20.39 by Margaret W

I have been on Methotrexate for eight weeks and have had cold after cold. At times I think the drug is working as my scalp seems pretty calm and then out of the blue it flares again for no reason! I can go to bed with no phoriasis on my body and wake up with several new patches- why? Just wondered if anyone else has constantly picked up colds etc on Methotrexate? Margaret

Posted Sun 23 Dec 2018 01.00 by Xtess_mpx

Hi Margaret, A few months ago I went on cyclosporine for 6weeks and the side effects were awful. My skin cleared up on body but made my scalp psoriasis spread so badly. I had awful colds and couldnt even walk at times. Down the line I developed guttate psoriasis and still have it now. Unfortunately these pills the doctors give dont always work and in my case has made my psoriasis worse and my immune system us ruined. In my opinion maybe you should ease off it if the side effects are very bad. I use vitamin D tablets and they help slightly, but watching my diet and using almond and jojoba oil has helped with redness on scalp. My doctor prescribed mometazone cream for body patches and it works well.

To take part, sign in or register with us