Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Thu 3 Jan 2019 11.33 by Jeannette50

Has anyone had experience of the vitamin D analogue creams? These are non steroidal. Many have winter flare ups - that is a strong suggestion of vitamin D deficiency.

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 14.01 by Jodie

Hi there looking for some help recently diagnosed with psoriasis and have been given enstilar to use twice a day for 2 weeks it’s working great for the scales they all coming off now my scalp is red raw and I dont know if I continue to use the enstilar on my scalp even without the scales ?

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 18.05 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Yes. follow what the prescribing doctor told you to do, and then go back to them for a follow-up if that is what they requested. If however the skin is actually broken and bleeding - contact the doctor or pharmacist for advice. In your other post that I saw asking about this, you only mentioned the "redness" after the scales had gone. here you say it is red-raw. it is not completely clear what situation you actually have. Read the patient leaflet that came with the Enstillar, it might give advice about broken, bleeding skin (often if not always, the advice is not to apply such steroid treatments in that case - without medical supervison)

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 20.15 by Xtess_mpx

I have severe scalp psoriasis too especially after cyclespirine runing my skin, what I tend to do is add sebco to scalp for 3hours to soak it then have shower and shampoo and conditioner then when the hair is still wet straight out of shower I take scales off with a fine comb. Sebco has changed my life and so good for taking scales without it being red raw underneath, then u can add the enstilar to underneath skin. I struggling with steroid based things at tye moment but I found that enstilar shouldnt be used too often or it can get resistant quickly.

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 20.24 by Jodie

Ah right ok I’m saying red raw but i guess it is just the resdness some parts more than other due to me picking and scratching so the enstilar does go in the red skin after the scales come off ! Thank you I was just worried about putting steroid straight on scalp without scale incase of burning / stinging thank so much for your help

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 20.29 by Xtess_mpx

Your Welcome, its very unpleasant I agree but the sebco gets rid of scales without too much scraping and ensilar is cooling hopefully. Try bot to put dipricalic or any acid based things in it because the pain is terrible I learnt that the hard way. But hopefully you find the sebco and enstilar success :)

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 20.33 by Jodie

Thank u this is just came out the blue for me I’m 26 and just suddenly took it bad all over my scalp is the worst I had such thick hair it’s all gone this is really breaking me and I have such bad anxiety with using things incase I’m doing it wrong I got told to you the enstilar twice a day for two weeks do u recommend the enstilar on my scalp twice a day ?

Posted Thu 31 Jan 2019 21.00 by Xtess_mpx

Your welcome and i'm so sorry to hear that it suddenly came on like this :( I found that using the enstilar got resistant after about 6weeks so I would use it 3times a week just to skin underneath after sebco or you can mix olive oil and aloe vera which stops the redness I find. My scalp, nails and body is really bad at the moment bc of weather and light therapy I have I think. I hope this helps anyways and really recommend getting repeat prescription for sebco because this changed my life and helped with not scraping it vigorously bc this made it soooo sore. I know I get really anxious over my psoriasis as well but its mistly the cracking and itching I hate.

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 02.13 by Debs75

My daughter who is 10 had developed scalp psoriasis. she had very thick hair which is full of flakes and she can't/ won't brush it. She screams in pain away every hair wash or brush we do. Her head is probably at least 50% covered in open sores. she scratches for hours when she goes to sleep and doesn't settle to a deep sleep till way past midnight. The dr had just given jet an antifungal shampoo but she screamed that it was burning her head. She is having her hair cut very short tomorrow in a desperate bid to try and control the knottiness of her hair and to get some air to her scalp. I am struggling with what to do for the best for her

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 02.57 by KATL09

Debs75 - I'm so sorry this is happening to your daughter. My scalp psoriasis started around the same age, and took a long time to diagnose. Some physicians prescribed antifungals (useless). As a fellow female suffering from this, I urge you not to cut her hair too short. It will not help her condition (air does not help), and may embarrass her. Hair is the only thing that covers our plaques and sores. I'm not sure what physicians are recommending, but if she is too young for Dermasmooth and Enstilar foam, perhaps try UV light treatments? You can go to a professional or order a UV scalp wand online. Using coconut oil or Olive oil under a shower cap for 5-8 hours, overnight if possible, really helps. If she has plaque build up you can buy a lice comb off Amazon to remove it without any discomfort after the oil treatment. Overall I urge empathy! She will likely have this condition her whole life (there is no "cure") so the way you react now will have a lasting impression on her self esteem. We should not have to feel shame, especially at 10!

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 05.18 by Debs75

Katlog. Her hair is matted as she won't let anyone near it, its her choice to have her hair cut shorter. We cut it shoulder length 2 months ago and it was great for 2 weeks, she brushed it, she let us use the creams and then bam it all stopped. She's in obvious pain but she seems tho have closed herself off and doesn't seem to realise that it is going to be painful but she had to endure the pain of the shampoo tho get the relief of being relatively flake free. I tell her ecstasy how much I love and care for her and I only want to make her feel better. I had horrendous eczema which covered my arms and legs so I understand a little what she is going through. My fear is that it has already started to affect her mentally

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 05.19 by Debs75

Oops some awful spelling mistakes there, on nights and very tired

Posted Mon 5 Aug 2019 08.22 by DebbieB

Debs75 I'm sorry to hear this it must be awful on both of you . My scalp psoriasis didn't start until I was late 30's and I behaved exactly like your daughter, I cried when I used the first treatment because it felt like boiling water being tipped on my head twice a day , it literally took my breath away. I was scratching it until it bleed it was weeping and making my hair matted I have long thick hair and was nearly at the point of having it shaved off so I didn't have to brush it, but my hairdresser said it wouldn't make any difference apart from being able to see it . I was putting it up in a messy bun to cover the worst of it but decided to carry on , I struggled dealing with it as an adult so my heart goes out to her x x I don't know how much of this thread you have read but for me everything changed when I tried argon organics itch magic oil and a matching shampoo (from Amazon with prime delivery because I was desperate) I used the oil the first night and popped my hair in a loose bun to stop the oil going on the pillowcase which to be honest is probably the last of your worries it didn't sting at all , my husband rubbed it in very carefully and by the morning the scales had lifted . I washed it off with the shampoo and repeated again daily until you wouldn't of even known it was there . Unfortunately for a small bottle of shampoo and oil it is quite pricey but I only use it maybe once or twice a month now and use a normal shampoo the rest of the time . I didn't use as much as it suggests I only put the oil on the actual scales and not all over my head and down the hair length . I expect it will be a battle for you getting it washed everyday though The nit comb as suggested is perfect for getting the flakes out .I would also say try a tangle teaser brush , I thought it was just a fad thing but it doesn't pull your hair and as it says teases the tangles out ! They also come in lots of colours , she could pick a special one just for her (glittery ones !!) Maybe tell her her some of the stories from on here so she knows she isn't the only one . I knew I shouldn't scratch but I still did it ! We had quite a lot of stress in the family going on and I would scratch and pick at it as almost a relief thing ( yeah I know ) so I got a squishy stress ball to keep my hands busy especially when I was on the phone talking to stressed family members , I picked up some kids squishy toys and had a banana and ice cream cone on the go . Bribes worked for me as well , I'm 43 and they still work when I start scratching, I know it's never going to go away unfortunately but it's manageable now and I'm sure you can get your daughter to that point . Is she on summer holidays ? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to leave the oil on all day if she is comfortable with it on . Right I am going to shut up now :) Good luck hope you catch up on your sleep Debbie x

Posted Tue 6 Aug 2019 16.56 by Debs75

So we have cut it short back and side, 1 side is long and floppy. She loves the hairstyle and it has let us get a good look at her scalp. The majority is open weeping wounds from the scratching, the rest is crusty flakes. I have argon oil shampoo and conditioner and oil and the fungal shampoo the dr gave us. Im thinking the fungsl shampoo 1 day and's then leave the oil on overnight? Do you think this is a good idea.? She has a very scaly neck too which I have aveeno for. I'm hoping now we can see the bad bits we can treat it better

Posted Thu 5 Sep 2019 05.03 by ParisDream

Hello Nichola, Late reply but I always have ps on my scalp. I used a prescribed liquid solution for a few years but I didn't like it. So for at least twice a week, I do a coconut oil, olive oil, tea tree oil, almond oil, and castor oil mask (I just mix them all together). I leave it overnight and shower in the morning. When I first did it the oil would make my hair so greasy and nasty. After changing my shampoo, it took all the oil off and made my hair look so healthy and my scalp so clean. The old shampoos I used were Dove and Pantene. I changed to Clear (bottle says 24/7 total care and it's purple). This shampoo saved my life. Hope it works for you as well! :) p.s. whenever my scalp ps is out of control and I'm sick of trying to get rid of it, I wear a hat when I go out.

To take part, sign in or register with us