Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 10.00 by mark260

Hi all, What tips do people have dealing with scalp psoriasis. i have it mild but the itch is a massive problem i struggle with fighting. I heard online somewhere that once it gets thick you can make the scale soft and gently comb it out? any tips would be great, i have steroid ointment which i use on other areas on my body and i have some scalp ointments which doesn't really help the itch too much, just stings the ones that have the scale removed. Many thanks Mark

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 11.02 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

My doc prescribed Capasal coal tar shampoo which over a period of about 5 or 6 months started to clear it up. I now use it daily to ensure the P does not return and fortunately my head is now clear of P. I think the OTC price is about £6.99 retail but your doc should be able to prescribe it for you if you are NHS charges exempt. Be careful wit steroid creams/ointments as over time they will cause skin thinning which happened to me many years ago.

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 11.27 by mark260

Hi, I have been using T-Gel, is the capasal coal tar shampoo better than that? how do you resist the urge to scratch? is it pure will power? I use Calcipotriol/Betamethasone daily for the scalp and i use Clobetasol when my skin on the body flares up only

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 12.26 by Itsafamilything

Hi Mark, After 'suffering' for more than 30 years of what I thought, bad dandruff, prooved to be scalp psoriasis. I used to have quite big scabs from finger print size to several square inches. My wife overheard a conversation in The Body Shop and from that she bought the Ginger Shampoo. After trying all sorts of nasty smelling potions, I now just use the Ginger shampoo (even though there's not much hair left to wash!). The results were amazing and within a couple of weeks almost all had gone. Now, after 6 months I ocassionally get a tiny little scab above my left ear, but it is easily dealt with. No bleeding, itching or red skin. Wonderful! Oh, and I don't work for The Body Shop or L'Oreal. Good luck!

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 13.03 by mark260

Hi, did the shampoo stop all itching though?

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 13.17 by Itsafamilything

Hi Mark, No more white shoulders, no more 'chunks' hanging off in my hair and no itching. It was as if it just 'dissolved' the white, crunchy bits. Hope it helps others.

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 13.18 by mark260

Hi, sounds good to me, I will buy some tomorrow :)

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 09.09 by orangepeel

I used Ginger shampoo also and Body shop conditioner and it is great but I have since found even better than that to be Aveeno Body wash for shampooing and moisturising my body and also the separate Aveeno moisturiser - no reacton whatsoever and I have been very allergic two everything for months - luckily my prescriptions are free for me now having paid a fortune over the years trying everything available! Also I would suggest you look at the Enstilar foam forum which talks about this treatment which I have also started using along with the Aveeno and all the plaques have gone from my whole body and the readness is receding daily along with the pain and itching - highly recommend these three products which has given me the most pain/itch free two weeks that I can remember in years! Good luck.

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 11.48 by Leah Palmer

I have been using Capasal coal tar shampoo that i got of my Dr but it doesnt clear my scalp just stops me itching which is good but not good enough. I started wearing a hat at work and now nicknamed Edna (not funny) its to hide my crusty head. Feeling very sorry for myself right now. Can anyone recommend a really good shampoo or treatment for me to try? I have asked this question on many forums even in USA and EU countries to find something to improve my life :(

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 14.36 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

to loosen the scales Cocois or Sebco is probably what you need. It stinks, is horribly greasy and takes ages to wash out but it does soften the scales so you can remove them and let the medicated shampoo get to your skin. Without doing this its unlikely any shampoo will work as it's just soaking into the dead skin scales and not getting to the plaque underneath. Google Loyon as well, it's not available on prescription but they do a full size free sample of a scale softener, not as stinky or greasy as the prescription stuff but it's £23 a bottle after the freebie.

Posted Fri 19 May 2017 08.41 by Leah Palmer

I posted my despair on FB, Twitter, all of them and many people there saying they use a natural shampoo that shifts scalp p so I looked them up and bought a trial shampoo from humankind organics and 3 days in my head feels less itchy and the plaques are breaking up! I cant believe it. It smells of tea tree so not bad but I would prefer a salon smell. (not complaining) tho. I might try there cream next but I'm on the lookout for a good body lotion for P which they dont sell, can anyone suggest any (natural would be nice but beggers cant be choosers). Thanks

Posted Fri 19 May 2017 09.47 by Rosie

Hi I have psoriasis on arms legs & scalp. I used Neutrogena T/ Gel shampoo on scalp and the results were good. Wash hair once with the shampoo then rinse apply again rub in to affected area and leave for about 10mins then rinse. I repeated this every second day for 2 weeks hair was bit lifeless as quite strong shampoo but on positive side psoriasis on scalp has much improved

Posted Fri 19 May 2017 10.50 by Leah Palmer

Thats the problem with shampoo treatments they are not great for hair. I leave this new shampoo on for 1 minute only and use it twice a week aswell but my hair needs a conditioner. What I like most about my new shampoo is its all pure and I read an article once that says natural shampooing will eventually bring hair back to a good condition after years of chemical abuse. I'm hoping this is the case. My scalp is almost clear so I may try a salon shampoo to see what I can get away with

Posted Fri 19 May 2017 16.38 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Coal tar is smelly....go to lush.com or one of thier retail outlets like waterloo...and get 'raining men' shampoo costs a fiver...smells lovely, herbal and natural, did the trick for me.

Posted Fri 21 Jul 2017 07.05 by Louie

Has anyone had any luck with Hope's Relief shampoo? Just started with it today and curious if anyone has had success. If not there are lots of good tips here :) Also got the dr Hauschka hair tonic so might see if that helps too. I remember about 10 years ago I read on a psoriasis forum that head n shoulders soothing care was good, so I tried it and it was like a miracle cure. Then they discontinued it 🙄

Posted Fri 21 Jul 2017 09.09 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Yes I did try it but unfortunately it did not suit me as something in it caused an allergy flair so I had to stop using it. I also think it is overpriced for what it is and there should be a warning to allergy sufferers.

Posted Sat 22 Jul 2017 14.51 by Sea Fossil

I got mine down to a mangeable level with Dovobet gel then just Pears transparent soap which is pure followed by Tresemme conditioner left on while I wash the rest of me. Not too keen on long term use of coal tar. The Aloe Vera gel works well I sometime use it around the sides and ears.

Posted Thu 27 Jul 2017 18.32 by mojo

Hi Mark i have tried all kinds and nothing the Dr give me worked only a shampoo called scalp 18 from amazon its £12.99 but it works for me

Posted Tue 12 Sep 2017 06.10 by alirolls
Mainly have scalp psoriasis with patches on my trunk.

Hi. Ive had scalp psoriasis for 20yrs. I use a combination of dovabet gel and dovonex ointment on and around my hair. I find this is the only thing that helps. The best prescribed shampoo is ceanel concentrate. Unfortunately atm there is a manufacturing problem so it isnt available but this shampoo is thick and can be used all over the body. It relieves itching and now im back to a coal tar based shampoo i cant half tell! *scratch* :) Good tips on shampoos though guys!

Posted Mon 25 Sep 2017 08.20 by Rhubarb23

I had psoriasis on my scalp really badly, my whole scalp was solid. I had to give up on steroid treatments as it was making my hair fall out. I started covering my scalp in coconut oil and wearing a shower cap for about an hour before I washed it in T gel shampoo. The T gel dries your hair out terribly but the coconut oil helps to counteract it a little, but it also softens the hard skin, allowing the T gel to penetrate and treat the psoriasis. Touch wood, my scalp is totally clear at the moment. Just my hands and feet to deal with now. But I have to say, as painful as my feet are sometimes (unable to walk) my scalp psoriasis was the worst because it makes your hair feel dirty and the itching....... never mind the appearance which is horrendous. Try the coconut oil technique you have nothing to loose and it does help the itching.

To take part, sign in or register with us