UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Sun 6 Mar 2022 10.25 by Tracyjane

My dermatologist has advised me not to buy one as I’ts for my 13 year old son & if not used correctly or too much it can cause cancer. I don’t feel comfortable taking that risk for my son.When I hired it I was in contact with the nurse every day guiding me though using it.I have bought a salax hand held one which I use on his scalp. I feel my confident using this on his scalp as it’s much lower power so can be used more often. My sons skin is very good now after a month’s treatment so worth £1000 to me all day x

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 11.45 by mikey (edited Mon 7 Mar 2022 11.50 by mikey)

A question to Carljones640.... Hi, I am thinking of doing the same as you.. I have an Elite 3.0 Electronic standard 9 tube sunbed like this one: https://leisuretimesunbeds.com/new-elite-9-single-electronic My question is are TL01 tubes the same as TL100 tubes? I enquired with www.psoriasiscare.co.uk regarding their tubes and they said my sunbed hasnt got 'starters' and their tubes need 'starters' to work. I also called MBS and they said they don't recommend putting UVB tubes into a standard sunbed as they can burn out. Wonder if you had the same issue? Thanks,

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 14.30 by Carljones640 (edited Mon 7 Mar 2022 14.34 by Carljones640)

Unsure about what your setup is but I've got 18 starters which is one for each tube And never had any issues In fact I've just bought 18 new starters for my new tubes . Ye more than welcome to have my old tubes and starters for FREE if ye can find a canopy that will take them Tl01 tubes are 100W I must have an old type canopy either way it does the job as I've got it setup as a shower, 1min 45 I'm on now and skin clearing

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 17.42 by mikey (edited Mon 7 Mar 2022 17.43 by mikey)

Thanks but I'm not even sure what 'starters' are lol Basically i'm worried that if i spend nearly a 1,000 pound on new tubes and they don't work or break when fitted to my sunbed. I further looked at the label on my sunbed and it states '800 watts (MAX) ' so doubt it will take 9 x 100 w TL01 tubes :(

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 18.08 by Carljones640

Yeah i doubt it too but unsure to be honest , I'm afraid If you email direct I'll send pics of what I've got Carl.jones640@ntlworld.com

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 18.12 by Carljones640

I'd hate my old tubes to go to waste if they can help someone else who can't afford the full amount , personally think there worth taking a chance on if someone wants them for cost of delivery Carl

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2022 20.32 by mikey

Cheers will drop an email

Posted Thu 17 Mar 2022 11.27 by osta

Hi All, I've hired a UVB sunbed and have used it 4 times and am up to 40 seconds. I've noticed no burning on my good skin but on the areas where the psoriasis is, it's worse and is more sore and inflamed. To those of you who have had UVB treatment, is this usual and how long before I start seeing some improvement? Many thanks.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 2022 16.45 by lizzieg

Hi Osta. Does the redness go before the next session? My spots always look redder after a session, but by the next day or 24 hours they calm down. Hard to say about progress. Everyone is different. I am currently doing a few maintenence sessions as I have had tonsillitis so had a little flare. Those spots (guttate) are fading after 2 weeks, so 6 sessions. Last year when I got the machine and was virtually covered in spots it took about a month to see real improvement and I was totally clear by 10 weeks. Stick with it.

Posted Fri 18 Mar 2022 16.33 by JamesScotland

@TinaT Yeah i'm just going to sit tight and wait for hospital appointment. That way i can get an idea how it all works, i.e how many seconds for my skin type. Even if i can't finish course at least i will have better idea how it works professionally. Then i can make an informed decision on buying a unit for the future. @Carljones640 Thank you for the offer of tubes and advise on setting up own unit.

Posted Sun 10 Apr 2022 17.20 by jp

Hi I am trying to find anywhere to hire a UVB canopy in the South East of England. I live in Sussex and can only find hire available in the north of England. Does anyone know of anywhere/ Alternatively, is anyone selling a unit second hand (but in working condition)? Many thanks. JP

Posted Sun 10 Apr 2022 23.49 by osta

Hi JP, I live in MK and I've hired a UVB 9 lamp stand up unit from this company, https://www.sunandhealth.co.uk/products/medical-psoriasis-canopy?variant=37766629195956. For ten weeks the charge was £395 inc delivery. They're a very nice company to deal with and if I decide to keep it the rental will be deducted from the purchase price. Hope that helps.

Posted Mon 11 Apr 2022 08.47 by Tracyjane

Does anyone know of any places to hire uvb full body light Bristol / North Somerset area. I hired the one from cardif it cast £1,000 Thanks x

Posted Wed 13 Apr 2022 15.07 by jp

Thank you so much, Osta. V grateful and will look into this co right now. X

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 19.47 by Sarbie

Hi there, I will be receiving my 5 tube canopy from MBS next week. I have psoriasis on my body and scalp. Has anyone found the canopy clears the scalp too? Thanks.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 19.54 by lizzieg

Hi Csarbs I have found that it clear around my hairline, front and back but not on the scalp itself, I still get a few raised patches. However with diet and probiotics and a decent shampoo I can manage it.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 19.59 by Sarbie

Hi Lizzieg, thank you for your reply. I have cut so much from my diet- nightshades, sugar, alcohol and bread but has made no difference after a year. Have been taking probiotics for nearly 3 months now but not sure if its helped at all. I use Aveeno scalp soothing shampoo and also Jason's tea tree. I dont have much by way of thick plaques on my scalp, it's just very dry and flaky.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 20.05 by lizzieg

Yeah it sucks. I am virtually vegan, alcohol free for over 4 years and still manages to surface. It is a lot better than it used to be. I use a probiotic by Hanna Sillitoe which you can find here https://www.hannasillitoe.com/products/multi-strain-biotic?variant=34772268286085¤cy=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=perfomance-max&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw48OaBhDWARIsAMd966DqreesN2nCUoF7r7Kj6oXh7sRg5X3cy3I9jRIzi-dsGviGu7WXJ84aAiyuEALw_wcB It is fairly pricey but keeps my gut in order and cheaper on subscription. I find a bottle lasts me 2 months. Alot of my skin problems is due to gut and stress.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 20.18 by Sarbie

Thank you for that. I tried her probiotic for 3 months but didn't see any difference. I take one by Heys Nutrition now. I don't believe diet is my trigger. For me its chronic stress. I read about chronic stress, leaky gut and psoriasis. There have been some good reviews on L Glutamine so I have been having a teaspoon in the morning and one at night for a week now so will see how it goes.

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2022 20.24 by lizzieg

Yes a good supplement. Also look into slipperly elm powder. Coats and repairs the gut lining. Light ultimately helps me the most. I am best in the summer. Had various uvb treatments over the years at hosptial and bit the bullet and bought one from MBS last spring.

To take part, sign in or register with us