UVB unit for home therapy.

1 Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 13.37 by TT

Hi can someone please help. My son has come out in psoriasis after his army training and is now concerned it will affect his career. I would like to purchase a hand held one as he can trat himself whilst in camp has anyone ever used them and where could I purchase one from. He was given steroid cream but this has not really helped.

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 18.11 by Summer

Hi TT Google MBS (much better skin) give them a ring very helpful, Good luck

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 19.05 by TT

Thank you xxx

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 19.59 by Jackie

Julie glad its working for you, I noticed I didnt need to use mine all through summer as my bed cleared it up totally, starting to get it cack on my elbows so will start using my bed again. xx

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 20.00 by Jackie

TT if you read through the posts you will find a few suggestions of where to get uvb lamps, everyone seems to be having great results with the uvb treatment at home. xx

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 23.22 by matthewprime

Hi, I have been suffering from all-over Guttate P for a year and treating with Dovobet(steroid cream) Exorex(Coal tar extract) and Epimax(moisturiser), and exposure to sunshine. I have found Dovobet provides 24 hour relief from itchiness and reduces the redness, Exorex has no noticeable effect, Epimax is good for treating dry skin, and sunshine exposure makes no difference at all. The condition seems to improve or worsen, or affect different parts of my body at random. This week I had a consultation with a dermatologist for the first time. They reccommends: 1/ Switch from Dovobet cream to a foam called Enstilar ( I think) - also manufctured by Leo Pharma. It is apparently less greasy than Dovobet and 98% of patients prefer it. 2/ A course of UVB therapy at the local hospital which the dermatologist confidently repeated will "almost certainly" clear up the condition. However, while waiting to hear from the hospital I have been reading this most excellent forum and I have decided to go with home therapy and get my own UVB canopy. For anybody thinking of going for home treatment here's a summary of thoughts from this discussion and some web addresses that I found relevant. The commercially available canopies from MBS (https://treatpsoriasistl01uvblamps.co.uk/product-category/canopies/) and Skin Matters(http://www.skinmattersbristol.com/products.html) have both good reports, are similarly priced and may even be the same product as suggested by another contributor. I noticed that the different models they offer have different combinations of the Philips narrowband UVB tubes and standard UVA (sun tan?) tubes which accounts for the difference in prices, with the most expensive models having 9 Philips tubes. I have decided to save some money and buy a second hand sunbed and fit Philips tubes, which I found at £63 from https://www.psoriasiscare.co.uk/buy-philips-tl01.html That should cost about £250 for the sunbed, and £600 for 9 tubes - so that's £850 compared to £1455 if I buy one. I will post an update when there's something worth saying. If anybody has any thoughts I'd be glad to hear

Posted Sun 16 Dec 2018 23.40 by Jackie

Hi Mathew, Someone a few posts up did what you are planning to do, he said he was willing to give advice if needed. You wont regret the uvb therapy its the only thing guaranteed to clear it up, good luck on building your unit, please keep us posted. Jackie.

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 18.16 by Matty79

Evening all, Is anyone selling a son canopy? Thank you. Matt

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 19.23 by Carljones640

Look on eBay mate , ye not bothered about the tubes that are with it just get the canopy then new tubes and starters and away ye go !

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 19.24 by ChrisBaker

Hi Matt, I am selling a 9 Phillips tube canopy. Located in Norfolk. Chris

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 19.32 by Justinealexx

Hello all. I recently purchased a home therapy unit for my teenage daughter who is suffering terribly with her first ever and severe whole body outbreak of guttate p. She had an urgent dermatology referral from her GP in December. The appointment is on 18 Feb and she simply cannot manage until then. Especially as the prescribed steroids could only be used for 4 weeks. We have just started UVB light treatment at home, 3 'zap' sessions in. One of 10 seconds and two at 15 seconds over a period of one week. She is fair skinned so taking it slow. The plaques have become quite red and intensely itchy, though the normal skin in between remains healthy in appearance, certainly not burned. She is moisturising thoroughly with aqueous cream and E45. I've read that this reaction passes if we persevere with the UVB. It could also be due to stopping the use of the steroid creams. Has anyone else experienced this early UVB reaction and can confirm it's right to continue or offer any advice please? Thank you.

Posted Sat 5 Jan 2019 21.35 by Matty79

Chris, Could you please email me: mattyr79@hotmail.co.uk. Norfolk is not that far from Oxford, nice day trip! Matt

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 02.24 by Jackie

Hi Justinealexx... yes this is normal, it will get itchy & red when the plaques dissapear, after a short time it wont be like that,I happened to me om my knees and the parts that were closer to the bed, now it doesnt bother me, in & out with no issues just better skin xx

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 03.20 by Justinealexx

Jackie, thank you. That's very reassuring. I hope you manage to stay clear xx

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 06.24 by ChrisBaker

Hi Justin, I’ve emailed you details of my light canopy. Please let me know if this is of interest.

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 08.31 by Justinealexx

Hello Chris, do you mean me (Justine)? Or was there a Justin earlier in this thread? I haven't received any email But we do already have a mini home therapy unit and just wouldn't be able to afford another right now. Thank you though.

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 08.34 by ChrisBaker

Sorry Justine, I got the names in the thread mixed up 😊 My message was meant for Matty79.

Posted Sun 6 Jan 2019 08.53 by Justinealexx

No worries 😊

Posted Tue 8 Jan 2019 21.11 by matthewprime

I have a standard UVB tanning canopy sunbed for sale in South Croydon if anybody wants to upgrade it to a UVB treatment bed. I was going to fit UVB tubes myself (see my earlier post) but the courier delivered 10 broken tubes, and in frustration I bought a new UVB bed. Included are 10 sun-tan UVA tubes, starters plus I have fitted a more accurate timer than the standard clockwork mechanism which gives accurate and repeatable working times from 15 seconds to 10 minutes. Price £85. If interested send a message here and I'll send pictures.

Posted Tue 8 Jan 2019 22.45 by Smitch

Matthewprime I was thinking off doing the same but have noticed the philips sun canopy sunbed takes 176cm tubes and the Lo1 tubes are 178cm? Did you find an issue with tube size on a standard bed?

To take part, sign in or register with us