UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 00.27 by Carljones640

I had no issues when I did mine years ago , I just remembered buying new starters , the only thing I didn't do was clock up the amount of time that I have used , currently on 5 mins so need to purchase 18 new tubes at some point but best thing I ever did although I've been lazy recently and had. Flare up , so I'm getting back on it from tomorrow

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 21.50 by matthewprime

Hi Smitch, Re. Your question about the length of the tubes. I have both Philips TL01 tubes, and standard "suntan" tubes from my tanning bed. Both are 176cm without including the connector pins, or 178cm including the pins. You won't have any trouble interchanging the two types. As an afterthought, if you are going to upgrade a sunbed to a UVB treatment bed then make sure it one that has 100W (or more) tubes fitted. That being the case it is sure to work with the Philips TL01 100W tubes instead.

Posted Fri 18 Jan 2019 12.23 by Vicki

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either the hand held devices or the mini philips tripod lamp... I am not completely covered just elbows, knees and a few splodges of guttate on my calves and ankle so do not think that I probably need the full canopy ... Are these lamps anywhere near as effective as the full one ? Is there anyone that lives near Exeter in Devon that is either selling theirs or wants to make some money by renting theirs out ? Thank you so much for reading ! VIcki

Posted Sun 20 Jan 2019 05.25 by Jeannette50

I think you need to talk to a doctor about this Vicki

Posted Sun 20 Jan 2019 17.18 by Jackie

Vicki, The hand held units give good results too but can be time consuming as they only cover a small area at a time, check out what radius it does, if its only for small patches it would work, but every patch would need to be treated. Hope this helps Jackie.

Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 14.47 by bazzerd
It started as a small patch on my shin 12 months ago..now covers approx 70% of my body..just started UVB light therapy..I am 54 and never ha

Hi everyone, good to hear the good results from UVB, it worked brilliantly for me. I had it myself twice at the hospital (30 sessions over 10 weeks each time) So I decided to buy my own canopy from MB skin, with the nine phillips TL01 6 foot tubes) approx 2 years ago, It has only been used for about 20 hours total, as my P changed to erythradermic, and can't use it anymore. i'm on biologics now, and cleared up a treat, would be happy to sell to a fellow sufferer for half price £700, Based in Bolton, email bazzerd@hotmail.com.

Posted Sun 27 Jan 2019 10.19 by Jane

Hi Mel Wilde How did you get on with the Phillips led? Jane

Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 19.54 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Its so nice to read so many positive outcomes using home UVB light units. They are expensive but so worth it. I bought one last May after my methotrexate 17.5mg wasn't working so well. I used it from 30 seconds 3 times a week increasing by 10 seconds each time until got up to 8 minutes . Total. My skin cleared except for a few spots on legs. I also eat 20 blueberries a day since end of October. I have now stopped the UVB since middle of November as the spots on my body are small and minimal and I have gradually reduced the methotrexate down to 10mg. It has returned on my legs in small spots but I am being careful so won't start using again until end of March to build up the dose so will be back in shorts for the summer. I have virtually cut out alcohol as it means so much to have clear skin and have a fairly normal relationship with my summer wardrobe!!

1 Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 20.21 by TT

Has anyone ever taken cyclosporin for their psoriasis? What seems to be the best tablet to help with this condition

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 17.35 by dhwani85

hi.I am selling my 9 tube uvb narrowband canopy as I relocating to different country.It is in excellent condition ,just used 3-4 times.If anyone interested please let me know

Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 18.31 by Carljones640

How much ?

Posted Fri 8 Feb 2019 18.15 by Smitch

Hi All, So I bought a home unit as covered everywhere, minus my face. Had uvb treatment at the hospital 3 times and saw amazing results so thought it was time to splash out. Its medium sized and I'm using it every second day, gradually building up the time. I'm almost 4 weeks in an wondering how long people use them for before seeing results? My plaques are definitely flatter an less red but my god I'm itchy! Finding it really hard to function as i can't sleep and am so uncomfortable sitting at work all day

Posted Sun 17 Feb 2019 18.02 by matthewprime

Here is my personal experience of UVB treatment, I bought a canopy with the (9) Philips lamps a month ago to treat my GP which was an all over condition that I had for nearly a year. Since then, I have used the canopy for 25 seconds each side daily. I am pleased to say that my GP is almost cleared. The red patches have mostly gone, there's no more flaking skin and I barely feel any irritation any more. Also, I was routinely using 120mg of Dovobet (betamethasone steroid ointment) every month but in the last 4 weeks I only use it if I have an itchy spot and have used 20mg. Still using a moisturiser daily, just incase. The best thing I ever did was read this discussion which lead me to buying a canopy. If I had relied on the NHS for treatment I would still be waiting for my first appointment. Thanks to all contributors and Psoriasis association. Donation in the post :-)

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 12.33 by Jane

Hi Sorry if people have already made reference to this but Philips no longer sell the BlueControl or the BlueControl Advance. I was all ready to part with the cash, it's very expensive but they are no longer available anywhere. :-( Jane

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 13.25 by OhNo_NotAgain?

There is one available on Ebay UK site, 47 hours left on the auction as I write this, but it is used of course. I don't know if anything degrades with time on these.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 14.06 by Jane

Thank you, I'll take a look. Jane

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 16.54 by JB

I was wondering if anyone has had success changing tanning bulbs in sun bed to UVB ones? the Philips tanning and UVB canopies look the same, bulbs are both 100 watts. Just wanting advice before spending £800 on UVB bulbs to find they don't fit. Many Thanks

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 18.38 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 18 Feb 2019 18.39 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

JB: I cannot remember exactly where, but I am pretty certain that was discussed recently and someone said they had done it. If you use the search bar at the top of the page to locate the threads on UVB or light treatment etc, you might find something. (or of course, someone who was involved in that discussion might see your post and reply definitively). I can recall a discussion about tubes and the tube length etc.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 19.39 by Nick C

Hi JB I can confirm it works well I have a Philips sunbed that I got second hand. It’s a 10 tube bed with a mechanical timer. Ordered 10 new tubes from MBS and very simple to swap. Just make sure the sunbed has 100watt tubes. I just use my phone stopwatch for times. Nick@ bigturkey.co.uk if you want any pics of my set up.

Posted Mon 18 Feb 2019 20.16 by Carljones640

Doesn't even have to be a philips sunbed , any standards bed that will take the tubes is ideal , I did it years ago and still use my lamp just for maintenance now although I'll need to retube soon ,

To take part, sign in or register with us