UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 09.35 by Jackie

Hi Tim Glad you decided to get one you wont be dissapointed, keep us all posted on your progress..

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 09.36 by TimW - 50 from Worthing

Would be happy to show pictures but not sure you can on here :)

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 09.50 by madison

hi jackie thanks for commet just ordered 4 Philips TL100W/01 6ft Narrowband UVB Phototherapy Tubes and will oreder 4 more in the next 6 weeks as my funds are i could not afford buying one online for 1400 just hoping this works out at the price of 861 pounds i have got another session of light treatment at hospital in about 6 weeks on the wait list but its so stressful for me suffering with anxiety and depression, so this is why i chosen to try this project.

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 10.14 by Jackie

Madison yes they are expensive, Once you have it up & running you can treat yourself in the comfort of your home that will be a huge benefit for you.

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 11.14 by Eve29

Thanks jackie :) will try that.im so happy though my back and front have cleared great just frm a week and half using the bulbs and using cream. i have it bad on the top of my hands and feet there really stubborn.Do you or anyone on here have any tips to help it?i was wondering if i just put my hand under for a bit longer would that help same with feet?x

Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 22.06 by Jackie

When mine was really thick I used to go for a bath and soak then rub off the plaques then use the bed, The trick is to try and get off some of the thickness, is there not a cream you could use to reduce the plaques. You could try and do your hands & feet a little longer.

Posted Fri 8 Mar 2019 19.35 by madison

hi again does anyone know how long a Philips TL100W/01 6ft Narrowband UVB Phototherapy Tube last ? and also how would you know when to replace? thanks

Posted Sun 10 Mar 2019 09.14 by Chriseag

New to the forum but have read the.whole of this thread I am thinking of purchasing a sunbed and replacing the tubes my P has come back within a vengance especially on my legs and arms . Now I have just started using dermovate ointment after a visit to the consultant who really didn't look at the worst parts of my body but reluctantly offers me light treatment but the waiting list is so long I am looking into doing it myself . Question is so I stop using the ointment if I start the light treatment ? Also done need to use anything on my body before I go into the unit

Posted Mon 11 Mar 2019 15.58 by TimW - 50 from Worthing

Hi Madison I was told at 30. second every other day it would outlive me (Im 45) - I thought the guy said 1800 hrs but that sounds a lot? Tim

Posted Tue 12 Mar 2019 10.11 by Jackie

The tubes are supposed to last 2000 hours I was told. So I wouldn't worry, You will find that once you are clear you only use it about a couple of times a week just to keep it at bay. Regarding the creams its totally up to you some people have used them some haven't.

Posted Wed 13 Mar 2019 07.42 by madison

hi again my research on Philips TL100W/01 6ft Narrowband UVB Phototherapy Tubes is they have a life span of 1000 hours which is very long time as you will be only in short bursts, hope this helps

Posted Fri 29 Mar 2019 21.31 by Tink

Hi I'm new to the forum but wanted to ask as the only treatment that really works for me is narrowband UVB - I go once a year to the hospital 3 times a week for 10 weeks and more or less clear - it does come back though after 6-8weeks & I did consider buying the tubes but hospital said you can only absorb so much of this light (max 30 sessions) then it will less effective - so does having my own unit keep the psoriasis at bay if I was to top up at home?

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 19.25 by Jackie

Hi Carole. Welcome, I have a light unit 9 tube, I find that I use it and it clears up, then I dont have to use it fr months. I use it say Jan for a minute each side then in the summer its cleared & I dont have to use it but it does come back around christmas time. The units certainly clear it up & then you would only use once or twice a week to keep it away.

Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 21.04 by Tink

Hi chriseag Regarding using creams I have light treatment at the hospital and they say not to use your creams on the day you have light treatment as the rays bounce off the cream so will have no effect - you can use your regular moisturiser after the session

Posted Wed 24 Apr 2019 21.53 by TSB1987

Hi, I have had psoriasis for about 9 years. It started with a small patch on one knee and I now have it on elbows, knees, ankles, hands, upper arms, in my ears and a few others places. The patches are generally fairly small, but I am so self concious about them, especially being a secondary teacher. I am currently using Ensilar foam on most of the patches. In my frustration I’ve bought a small UVB lamp. My dermatologist wouldn’t refer me for light therapy and when I moved counties my new doctor said she wouldn’t even bother referring me as the waiting list was too long. I am currently on 50 seconds per patch, but have stopped using the Ensilar, I’m just moisturising. Unfortunately, the itching is really bad and I’m finding it hard to cope. Am I ok to still use the Ensilar whilst using the lamp? I wouldn’t need it every day, maybe just once or twice a week?

Posted Wed 1 May 2019 02.18 by Jackie

Hi tsb1987 I found when I started the light therapy my skin itched really bad too but it did settle, as for creams, I cant advise as I stopped using the creams. Try it and see how you go, Sorry I cant help more regarding the cream.

Posted Wed 1 May 2019 06.59 by Summer

Hi Try prition/ antihistamines for the itch All the best

Posted Mon 6 May 2019 14.10 by Joel_1189

I had my canopy delivered almost 2 weeks ago and I’m starting to see the difference. I’ve got full guttate over my whole body and UVB at the hospital has cleared it 3 times over the last 10 years, so figured I may as well get my own unit to save me the hassle of waiting to be referred each time for treatment. I brought it through Skin Matters in Bristol, and the guy who delivered and installed it said they provide them for MBS so it doesn’t matter which site you purchase it from, you are getting the same kit. I’ve done 7 treatments (starting at 30 seconds and increasing 10% each time) and also had a head start because of the lovely easter bank holiday weather. Each time I use it my spots are paler and flatter. This is the best investment I ever made. Considering I’m not even 2 weeks into my treatment I’m really chuffed. The key is to start low and stick to the same regime the hospital gives you.

Posted Sat 18 May 2019 18.05 by paddyoosulllivan

Hi Folks I have just had a recent outbreak after about 14 or 15 years with nothing. Nice just in time for Summer! I know from my previous two outbreaks that the only success I had with getting rid of it was with the UVB treatment at the hospital. Went to my GP yesterday & it looks like with the waiting lists I could be waiting months for treatment. Tempted to buy the following unit from MBS as it's slightly cheaper unit. Just wondering has anyone had success with this unit? As I live in Ireland the larger units will cost me allot more with shipping. https://treatpsoriasistl01uvblamps.co.uk/product/metallic-canopy-containing-5-philips-tl01-narrowband-tubes/ Thanks for the help.

Posted Sun 19 May 2019 16.58 by Jackie

Hi Paddy, Welcome! Sorry to hear you have it back, The 5 tube one will do the same only difference is size in width really. I would go ahead and purchase it as it definitely will improve the outbreak. just do front & back one day then each side another. Hopefully if you get it you will see a huge difference.

To take part, sign in or register with us