Anal psoriasis

Posted Sun 14 May 2017 23.30 by mattkirkbride13

Please does anyone have any advice on how to treat anal psoriasis? I've tried many creams and ointments and nothing seams to work other than steroid based medicine. I'm really worried about the long term effect of using steroid ointments on such a sensitive area! Please does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri 19 May 2017 08.47 by Leah Palmer

Try the cream from humankind I havent tried it yet but there shampoo for scalp psoriasis is amazing, its natural too. I really feel for you. I have it under where my bra rubs and it gets soo itchy that I have to rub it and god knows what people think. Hope this helps you mattkirkbride13

Posted Thu 25 May 2017 12.49 by thin-skinned (edited Thu 25 May 2017 12.50 by thin-skinned)
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

It's impossible to suggest something as what helps me might set up a reaction in somebody else. Now that is out of the way, I have found Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Visibly Renew Elasti-Boost Body Lotion helps with the self chafing result of sitting and getting hot when walking. I got my last pot from Boots but also saw it in Tesco only yesterday. http://www.boots.com/neutrogena-norwegian-formula-visibly-renew-elasti-boost-body-lotion-250ml-10190729 https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=288058992

Posted Sun 28 May 2017 23.48 by Mikki1986

I too suffer with this and now cannot use my steroid cream due to pregnancy its a nightmare. I even had a blood test for food intolerance and cut out dairy but no improvements. Would love to know some natural creams that work .

Posted Tue 30 May 2017 19.40 by Psoriasaurus Rex
Sick and tired of scratching the surface - want a cure.

Sorion Cream natural and fantastic.

Posted Wed 28 Jun 2017 07.03 by Rich

Seriously guys the best and gentlest stuff you can use on sensitive areas is vaseline forget all these expensive creams that you have to check the ingredients on for additives that may make you sore just vaseline, it's completely safe to use anywhere and keeps the skin very hydrated try it it works

Posted Mon 15 Jan 2018 23.33 by Rubytuesday

Irritable skin balm by an Australian company called MooGoo is the best.

Posted Wed 17 Jan 2018 23.02 by Claireece86

I haven't been diagnosed with it in this area but I am pretty certain that I have it, it is so itchy and raw sorry if tmi! I have tried preparation H, lanacame (sp?) Aloe Vera wipes etc and recently I picked up a tube of diprobase ointment from my local boots store and I have noticed a vast improvement on only one application! I would give it a whirl! Hope this helps.

Posted Sun 5 Aug 2018 03.09 by Peter

Hi, I've found it best to put my coconut oil in the fridge. Chop it up into small enough pieces, then freezing in a separate container. Then after doing a No 2 in the morning, taking a shower, cleaning my butt area well, even tho it hurts, then insert a cold piece of coconut oil into my butt from the frozen container. It immediately reduces the pain because of the cold on my skin. I've learnt to hold the piece on the sore area for a while to deaden the pain. Then I push it up further into my butt hole so it will stay there. Then as the coconut oil warms up it starts to slowly coat the area. So when you do a poo next time, the coconut oil has already coated my skin. So it doesn't burn as much. It might leave a little bit of coconut oil on your underpants but less pain/burning it's worth it. Hope this helps.

Posted Sun 5 Aug 2018 16.05 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Tue 24 Aug 2021 12.43 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Claireece86: I would advise to get a medical opinion and advice. I appreciate it might be embarassing, but I have always been pragmatic about such things and I will see a male or female doctor whoever is available. Around 25 years ago I was experiencing excruciating itching and soreness and anal-fissures. I was struggling to sleep at night. I also had psoriasis on other parts of my body. I was travelling to several countries working and saw many doctors. Finally a doctor decided that what mught be happening is that my body had developed a sensitivity (not quite the same as an allergy) to my faeces. Based on his suggestions and advice, I adopted a particular regime for that area: - only use white toilet tissue, never anything that has been coloured, - never wash that area with soap - I started using E45 shower cream for around the anus - I washed after every bowel movement - If I was not at home I carried E45 with me and used it on white toilet tissue to clean, - I also use wet-wipes. I use the "Andrex Classic", they do not seem to irritate, and I tested one in a large jug of water . . . . it disintegrates quite quickly, so I feel happy flushing them down the toilet (they do not contain plastic, and are certified as "flushable"). Some thing like diprobase or doublebase is probably a good idea as you have tried. I was advised to avoid anything like Lanacaine as that could increase the itrritation (I had tried it and after a few minutes relief the itching returned with a vengence). 25 years on, I still have bouts of psoriasis over my body and scalp, but my rear end is perfectly fine and the irritation never returned. I still follow the same regimen for that aprt of my body. Presumably, it wasn't psoriasis - but the problem/inflammation/irritation of that area has never returned.

Posted Mon 6 Aug 2018 00.29 by Peter

Good to hear your's cleared up. I still have the Psoriasis on different parts of my body, even in my ear canal too. I have to put coconut oil on all the areas at least daily. After about 10 to 15 mins the itchiness goes away. If my bum is still sore/itchy/burning after I insert the cold coconut oil, I get dressed, put the toilet lid down and sit on the edge. It seems to put pressure on the area that's sore. And the pain eventually goes away. I've gotten used to the irritation, it's like a small cut in your skin, which isn't so bad, at least I don't have the pain & burning, all the time. Hope this helps some of you are suffering in silence.

Posted Tue 14 Aug 2018 15.42 by elnozah

Pure aloe gel soothes. However please try to reduce the time you spend sitting while passing stools. Keep it quick. Also clean the area very well after.

Posted Wed 19 Sep 2018 21.44 by Skinny (edited Wed 19 Sep 2018 21.46 by Skinny)

I am so sick of this...actually I don’t even know if it’s related to my psoriasis, but I get these small openings or splits in the skin around the anus. I guess it’s an anal fissure? I also get a very painful ‘split’ feeling between the buttocks above the anus. I think it’s from excess sweating, but I don’t get it because the psoriasis on my elbows is extremely dry. I’m really at a loss of how to treat this. I have put talc on the area, but that can be painful, then sometimes not. I’m currently trying a diaper rash cream, which seems to sort of work, but the buttock area is definitely NOT dry...more hydrated. I have just read about nitrate ointment to speed up healing for the anal fissures. Can psoriasis cause these? I have read it is caused by a lack of fiber, not being hydrated enough, etc but none seem to fit my lifestyle so I’m baffled...and fed up!! It’s just confusing....Am I supposed to keep the anus and crotch area DRY or MOIST? Can someone help??

Posted Wed 19 Sep 2018 23.33 by Peter

Hi Skinny, try rubbing coconut oil on the area. I find my sweat is like acid on the skin cuts. I put my coconut oil container in the fridge, then when cold & hard I chop it up to pieces I can hold. Then I put those pieces in a container in the freezer. Then I take the freezer container in the toilet with me they morning, I do my a no 2, have a shower & clean the whole area with water. Then I grab a piece of cold coconut oil & rub it in the parts that are sore. It coats it, so my sweat, etc doesn't get into the cuts. The cold oil also soothes & deadens the pain/irritation too. My cuts are also inside my anus, so I clean that area whilst in the shower, & I insert the cold coconut oil inside my rectum. Then thruout the day the coconut oil slowly leaks out to keep coating the area, to keep the pain down. This is the best way I've found to reduce the pain down to just a slight rritation. Hope this helps. I've tried the doctors Vaseline with pain killer in it. It works but it even says on the instructions it will lose its effect if I use it all the time....which I have to. So I switched to this coconut oil method & I know it's natural & not going to give me side effects, etc. The coconut oil is good for my skin, but Vaseline is petrol based so it's not good to use regularly on your skin, because some of it absorbs into the body. I still have the cuts after at least 10 years. I've been slowly changing my diet to eating more alkaline foods. So when it comes to eliminate them out, they don't give me the acid burn effect. So I don't have to clean my anus every time, just wipe normally. It's great.

Posted Thu 20 Sep 2018 05.41 by Skinny (edited Thu 20 Sep 2018 05.43 by Skinny)

Thank you so much for this! I have a tub of coconut oil so I will solidify it and try it. I have a feeling that my psoriasis is maybe due partly to my sweat being too acidic or something. I’ll read up on alkaline foods too. I just saw a post that blueberries have cured many people’s psoriasis, so maybe that will help us too? Sorry you have been living with this for so long...I feel your pain! Since I exercise a lot, I have recently tried putting on talc before running or biking and that seems to help with my excess sweat. But then of course other times it seems to make the dryness worse. Have you tried Polysporin when the cut is very bad? I seem to have had some success with that too. A zinc oxide cream like Desitin seems to soothe the itch very well. Again, many thanks!

Posted Thu 20 Sep 2018 06.47 by Peter

Hi Skinny, thanks for your reply. I try and stay away from Antibiotics and Zinc Cream's, drugs, etc. Soon I'm going to try the most potent strength of Manuka honey mixed with Coconut Oil and see if that works. I'd put the honey straight on, but it's too sticky & it doesn't become solid when frozen. So I'm not able to insert it. I tried a Hemp Oil & Coconut mix, it seemed to reduce the pain for a few days, but then it stopped working as well. Hemp oil doesn't freeze either. So I went back to just frozen coconut oil. The strong Manuka honey seems to have high antibiotic properties, so it'll give it a go. Hope it doesn't sting 😩😃 I'll post the results when I'm finished experimenting.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 03.05 by KingKong911

I will tell you what has worked for me, hopefully it will for you. I have tried everything at once so cannot pin point what the main cure was. I have been free of the issue for 2 months now since beginning. 1. No alcohol, my main drink was beer everyday (still drink coffee and milk dairy) 2. Have a large cupfull of blueberries with greek yoghurt everynight. (the blueberries have been said to help skin conditions and the yoghurt has a healthy dose of probiotics. 3. Clean yourself properly with either babywipes or shower after using the toilet. 4. Lower your daily stress, When you have high stress this will raise your cortison and impair your immune system. this can be tackled anyway you see fit. I personally have began meditating and going to the gym 3 days a week. 5. Lower your carbohydrate intake in your diet. Carbs are essentially sugars. I don't wan't to go into too much detail, just try to eat more real whole foods and less processed. If you need a little more guidance look into Paleo eating. (marksdailyapple.com). I believe a high processed sugar diet can make ANY autoimmune disease worse. 6. Buy some jojoba oil and apply that after a shower every morning or night, suit it to your routine. I've tried all these different cream... the natural jojoba oil just seems to work best. 7. Make sure you are getting adequate OMEGA 3 in your diet (try to just eat real fish such as salmon or tuna 3 times a week). Have magnesium every night it helps with an array of bio molecular functions throughout your body. Make sure you are getting adequate Vitamin D from real sunlight. If i had to say what helped the most I would say no alcohol and eating blueberries and yoghurt. These two things alone seemed to fix it the issue the most. The blueberries seems like the magic fix... not sure if it is placebo though.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 05.53 by Bonnie

I have been suffering for YEARS with a small crack in the skin just above the anus. It gets horribly itchy and will not go away. Some days are worse than others. I have seen docs and used steroid creams, desitin, Vaseline, lanolin, eliminated sugar, dairy, carbs, you name it.! I cannot take this much longer. I only use white tp or wipes and only spray the area with the shower. I’m losing my mind.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 07.51 by Skinny

I’ve recently tried Diprobase cream like the person above. Wow, I don’t know what’s in this, but it really was like nothing I’ve tried before. It really worked! I’ve also generally tried to eat way more greens daily and I’ve cut out most wheat and I’ve drastically reduced alcohol intake.

Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 13.53 by Bonnie

I’m in the US. Not sure what Diprobase is

To take part, sign in or register with us