Nail psoriasis help!!

Posted Mon 21 Aug 2017 11.55 by Mrsesg

Hi, I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if this conversation has already been started and I've overlooked it. I have Palmer psoriasis and treat it with Dermol, Epaderm and Dermovate (clobaderm). These all work great on the palms of my hands, but I also have psoriasis under 3 of my nails, the lotions and potions I have do not help this in any way. Can anyone recommend something that will actually help? Thanks in advance Elaine xx

Posted Mon 21 Aug 2017 14.38 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

PCDS page for Nail Psoriasis:- If there is any diagnostic uncertainty samples must be sent for mycology to rule out tinea. It is important to not only include nail clippings but also scrapings from the under=surface of the nail plate, otherwise many cases of tinea will be missed. It must be remembered that psoriasis and tinea of the nails can co-exist Treatment of nails is difficult and results are often disappointing. Patients should be encouraged to keep their nails short. The use of nail varnish will not cause harm and can help disguise nail changes For troublesome cases the following can be discussed with the patient: Distal nail involvement - advise the patient to cut the nail back as far as possible then use Dovobet ointment ® or topical steroids once a day for a trial period of three months  More substantial involvement (including proximal nail) - consider referral to dermatology for a trial of triamcinolone injections via Dermojet ®. Systemic agents such as methotrexate are occasionally used but benefit is not guaranteed, and the risk to benefit ratio means that such treatments are not often justified unless the nail changes are severe or the patient also has moderate-severe psoriasis of the skin. http://www.pcds.org.uk/clinical-guidance/psoriasis-nail-psoriasis#management

Posted Mon 21 Aug 2017 15.38 by Mrsesg

Thank you so much for the reply. I've had scrapings and clippings sent away by the doctor before and it's definitely not a fungal infection. It used to ease off but recently it hasn't. Elaine xx

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 12.49 by Camey2210

I have had nail psoriasis since I was 7, I’m now 20, although it did clear itself up for about 6 months I have found nothing has really helped it. I am very self conscious about it and always have been. I don’t know if it’ll help but I’ve been told I’m allowed to have nail extensions on which has helped me massively day to day as I’m not having to worry about people seeing it. I’m sorry I couldn’t help more as I know how hard it is to have it on the nails

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 13.44 by Mrsesg

Thank you so much @cammey2210

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 15.34 by Mark

My nails improved a lot (as did my skin) after i started taking vitamin D3 supplements to correct a vitamin D deficiency. I wouldn't recommend taking vitamin D without having a blood test first as too much vitamin D can be a health risk.

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 16.17 by Mrsesg

I have been put in a high dose vitamin d supplement by the doctor. I only take one tablet a week and it’s for 7 weeks but there wasn’t a blood test done. And I only have 2 weeks of tablets left and still no difference :(

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 17.20 by Mark

My skin started improving after three weeks of taking 1000IU of vitamin D3 per day. The nails only showed improvement after three or four months.

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 19.02 by Mrsesg

Maybe I should ask for more then. I’ve to go back when the dose is done to let the doctor know how I got on. She is at a complete loss where this is concerned.

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 19.10 by Mark

@Mrsesg What dose do you currently take and how did the doctor decide to put you on a supplement without checking your vitamin D level first?

Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 20.20 by Mrsesg

It’s 40000IU (plenachol). She didn’t even mention testing the levels to be honest. She just prescribed the tablets and told me to give it a go.

Posted Sat 14 Oct 2017 10.30 by Mark

I wouldn't ask for more of such a high dose without a blood test. Apparently any treatment of nail psoriasis takes months to show results because nails grow slowly. See the section on nails on this website or http://www.papaa.org/further-information/nail-psoriasis:

Posted Fri 27 Oct 2017 18.03 by jason40

Hi, I would firstly suggest you send off clipping to rule out there is not fungal involvement. Secondly find a good nail technician and treat yourself to regular manicures. My mum bought me Jessica nail oil and it worked a treat I don’t even have pitting on my nails anymore. Good luck Jay

Posted Thu 18 Jan 2018 11.44 by ausramotej

I have similar problem on one of my nail and I cannot agree more with you jason40, that some good branded products can really treat. I will give it a go, have you been talking about "Jessica phenomen cuticle oil"? I just google it and found this: https://www.enails.eu/en/gel-nail-polish/jessica-geleration.html?limit=all .

Posted Thu 18 Jan 2018 18.48 by Sue P

I asked my doctor about blood tests to check deficiencies & she said “ we don’t generally do that, anyway most of us are deficient of vitamin D in the winter months “ That was the end of that conversation !!!

Posted Thu 18 Jan 2018 21.59 by Karl

Hi Sue I'm pretty sure vitamin D must have something to do with P as since returning from living in Spain for 13 yrs my P is now 10 times worse,the doctors seem heartless to the problem because they know like we do that there is no cure for P or the nail infections & it's all hit & miss with the prescriptions they hand out,some ease it for a short time period but in the long run l am back to square one eventually like most of us,l'v had the nail infection for 16 yrs now

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2018 07.37 by Sue P

Thanks Karl, Looking forward to the sun. The one thing that does help is knowing I’m not the only one who has this condition. I read these blogs & it makes me sad that so many are suffering far worse than me. I’m definitely getting my nails done now. Have a good day x

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2018 14.40 by Mark

Hi Sue, I pay for vitamin D tests myself. The cheapest provider i could find charges £29 per test.

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2018 19.13 by Sue P

Cheers Mark, I never thought of that which is strange as I’ve paid for just about everything else. Can I ask where & how do you know who’s reputable. Thanks Sue

Posted Fri 19 Jan 2018 21.41 by Mark

Hi Sue, I first contacted private GPs but they wanted to charge between £90 and £130. I thought that was too expensive and then tried Medichecks (https://www.medichecks.com/vitamin-d-tests/vitamin-d-25-oh). They are good if you manage to take your blood sample (didn't work for me, so I had to pay extra to have it taken in a clinic) or if you need results fast (takes about a day). Later I discovered Bluecrest (http://www.bluecrestscreening.com/bluecrest-health-checks/vitamin-d) as my health insurance offered health checks with them. I took that as a sign that they were reputable and haven't had any reason so far to doubt that. The downside I see with them is that you need to book in advance and the results take two to three weeks to show up but that's no big deal for me. I hope that helps.

To take part, sign in or register with us