New to psoriasis

Posted Tue 22 Aug 2017 10.45 by Lucy

Hi I'm 19 and got diagnosed with gutate psoriasis 6 months ago. I've been transferred to every doctor and dermatologist possible I've been going on sunbeds I've been applying all the different types of creams I've taken vitamin D tablets but yet nothing is working. My psoriasis is flaring up really badly it's itchy and is so bad on my elbows hand.. legs and feet it's really knocked my confidence as I can't show my arms or my legs at all! I feel like I'm trying to fight a loosing battle and starting to feel quite low about it now I can't even get a spray tan anymore. Can anyone help with anything they have used to take the redness away or even to get rid of it? Thankyou!

Posted Tue 22 Aug 2017 11.52 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner
Hi im 26 years old and suffered from psoriasis since i was 16. Currently enduring a battle with PPP and about to try acitretin

Go and buy the dermhealer from philips ive been using it following the directions correctly and is only been a week but there already lightening!

Posted Wed 23 Aug 2017 03.02 by Gemma100

Hi Lucy So sorry to hear of your condition. I was diagnosed in January I had never had psorsis before in my life and I am in my fifties. I tried creams from the doctors that did nothing but make my condition worse or do nothing at all and the dermatologist I saw just gave me the impression he couldn't be bothered. I honestly thought anything would help. What helped me was a uvb canopy. I know you have tried sunbeds but they put out uva rays which I had at hospital and to be honest was not as effective on me as uvb. I know just how you feel. I felt very self conscious and embarrassed and thought nothing was going to help . I had guttane like you and also plaques. Some of the plaques were so bad I thought I was scarred for life. But as the uvb started to work they did actually clear and go back to healthy skin and believe me nobody was more surprised than me. I am not saying go out and buy a canopy , Start with a small uvb lamp to try it out and see if it works for you. I know this is difficult to hear because I felt the same unfortunately it does take a few weeks for it to start to work because you have to start with a few seconds and then build it up. If you do get any kind of uvb lamp make sure they are genuine Phillips uvb narrowband bulbs. I got my canopy from a company called much better skin. Not sure if they sell small lamps but probably do. Please be patient when I started I though this is never going to work but it did. It took around eight weeks for it too clear back to health skin. I still have some pale patches at the bottom of my shin but there are hardly noticeable and are clearing. I will be just using my canopy once a week or so to hopefully maintain my condition. Please don't give up hope!

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 07.26 by denny
arms legs hands head

Hi gemma100 Did you purchase your canopy from much better skin based in Warrington. I am looking to buy one and would welcome any feed back as these units are so expensive I don't want to make a mistake. Many Thanks

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 16.29 by Gemma100

Hi Denny, Yes that's where mine came from. Don't know if you have tried UVB before but I have heard it does not always help everybody,but does the majority. I started by trying an handheld lamp first to see if it helped which it did. I think Much Better Skin sell them aswell and are far cheaper. I was covered over the majority of my body with Guttane that why I bought a canopy.

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 17.43 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner
Hi im 26 years old and suffered from psoriasis since i was 16. Currently enduring a battle with PPP and about to try acitretin

Hi I got my one from Philips called dermhealer and it's working really well only been 2 weeks and used it 3 times and there already so much lighter! Highly recommend it. Good luck!

Posted Wed 30 Aug 2017 19.18 by denny
arms legs hands head

Thanks everyone for your help I am going to go ahead and buy a unit as my skin is just getting worse and nearly all my body is affected., and I cannot get this treatment in my area. so once again thanks Denise

Posted Sun 3 Sep 2017 03.24 by Jigsaw Puzzle Paul 66
I'm Paul a child of the 70's. Woodland 🌲wildlife makes mother nature smile 🌞

New here but I'm also a veteran to Psoriasis. For me it started thirty years ago though it seems even the ancient Egyptians had this condition. If I can at least conceal it on my face & scalp, I can deal with the rest of it somehow. I've stopped drinking alcohol, again. Trying to drink more water, get fitter & improve the diet. That's wholemeal pasta, fish, cut out cows milk & only goat or soya milk. Ride the racing bike more. There's plenty of suggestion on You Tube but unfortunately you have to also sift through the bulls*it of people just trying to make money. I believe treatment should be individually tailored to a persons needs. We're talking health not hat size here. This can be debilitating, confidence crushing & has made me suicidal. Just because it 'can be' doesn't mean we should 'let it be' the case. If you got this far down my comment box, thank you for taking the time to understand me a little more. My regards Paul

To take part, sign in or register with us