Advice needed please!

Posted Thu 31 Aug 2017 22.11 by gemmaann82

Hello I have suffered with psoriasis for over 15 years and although I have had several severe outbreaks, it has never been as bad as it is now even though I am never free from it. I am finding it extremely difficult at the moment as I am experiencing a really bad outbreak on my hands, elbows, knees and feet. It is having such an impact on how I feel about myself and my confidence, that I am considering quitting my nursing degree. I know my outbreak is probably due to stress (my mum has had a brain hemorrhage and is in hospital) but I really need some advice on either treatment or lifestyle changes that could help. My GP no longer sees me and just gives a repeat prescription for E45 and Dovobet. Neither seem to make any improvement to my skin and I am beginning to feel so self conscious that I do not want to go out. If I do go anywhere I make sure I am wearing a cardigan with long sleeves so that I can hide myself (no matter how hot it is). I am due to begin my first placement in a hospital in three weeks and can not go with how I look and feel right now. If I can not make an improvement I will definitely have to give up my dream of becoming a nurse. I would be so grateful if anyway could suggest any type of treatment or diet that they have tried, I am literally at my limit with it all. Thank you for any help

Posted Fri 1 Sep 2017 12.19 by Joxx

Try sorion cream from amazon it's not cheap but it's worth a try, no one I live with says it smells bad but I don't like the smell of it so don't wear it as much as I should but it really cleared me after one use

Posted Sat 2 Sep 2017 10.05 by Bodybuilding44

Hi Gemma I have suffered since the age of 21 and I am now 45. Have tried all the lotions and potions, spent a fortune on natural rèmedies etc as I am sure a lot of sufferers can appreciate. The only thing that cleared it was UV light treatment at the hospital but this only lasted short term and a person is only allowed so many minutes per lifetime due to skin cancer as highers the risk. I can list what has helped me. I cant guarantee that this would help you and or others as everyone responds differently but this has helped me 1. Colonic irrigation sessions 2. Cutting out red foods. Tomatoes and white potatoes really aggravated it 3. Taking a Selenium supplement 4. Fake tan. Strangeley this calmed the areas down 5. Omega 3 supplements or eat food that is high in it 6. Takkng a luke warm salt bath. Make a mixture of olive oil and rape oil and apply then wrap the area in clingfilm and go to bed 7. Getting out in sun...i can only do this in the privacy of my own garden but it clears 8. Take a multi vitamin for skin,hair and nails 9. I meditate for 10 to 15 minutes every day 10. Drink 3 litres of water a day. More on days that I go to gym 11. Sit in the steam room at the gym. I have done items 3 and 4 only for the past 3 months and it has really improved. Water intake definetely helps and so does colonics Also look at your diet as this is very important and can really help. Poor diet equals poor skin and aggravates any skin condition Dont be surprised if your skin gets slightly worse before it gets better Let me know if anyone wants more info on any of the above Hope this helps Ax

Posted Sat 2 Sep 2017 16.40 by Gracie

Hello everyone. I am Gracie, 27 from Philippines. I have gutate psoriasis for almost 5 years now. I am experiencing a major outbreak particularly on my legs and in my body. I used diprolene and dermovate ointments months ago. These two have good results butbas usually, psoriasis is a very stubborn disease that it keeps on coming back. Last month i saw my derma and she suggested mw to use daivonex. But days after using daivonex, i think my psoriasis worsen. It becomes dark spots and and some appeared to be bigger now. Does anyone of you can advise me if i should stop using daivonex? Does anyone had the same experience as mine? Pleasw help me because im getting hopeless now with my condition. :( Thanks.

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2017 20.09 by BobbyJean
I love heavy metal xx

Hi gemma please don't give up on your nursing!!! Go for your dream you have the chance. As for psoriasis I have tried lots of different treatments. I have found that diprosalic was the best ointment for me after years of using steroid ointments. Light treatment was really good, but only lasted briefly ( during which time I felt normal I have to say ). All I can say is that something that works for one person maybe doesn't work for another. Psoriasis is very very random. X

Posted Sat 9 Sep 2017 09.38 by Sue P

Hi Gemma, there are so many people out there & on this site that understand & feel your pain. When I was at my worst I felt so alone & isolated which added to my anxiety & feeling of helplessness. I felt I was on a treadmill of creams & medication & nothing worked. The side effects overwhelmed me . I read an article in the paper & then saw a programme on TV about a book called "The Good Skin Solution" by Shann Nix Jones. I read the book & thought I'm going to give this a go. I discussed this with my Dermatologist who supported my decision. For the first time in ages I felt I was making the decisions that would effect me, I was in control. It hasn't been easy, 6 months later I'm able to fit into my shoes & walk, I'm able to use my hands, I feel alive again. I'm also eating healthier & have stopped drinking alcohol. Everyone is different but don't give up, open your mind to other options, it's worked for me. Please get back to me if you need further support. Take care Gemma x

Posted Mon 11 Sep 2017 15.22 by Howarpa57

I really appreciate your message. I think diet is a very important aspect of any treatment. This disease makes you feel wretched and it's easy to succumb to methods of self gratification when you feel down! I only have on my hands but they are almost always sore and sometimes bleed. I have problems to Open bottles, turn knobs and pick up small items. My fingers feel stiffer and it's probably like arthritis ! I've tried creams like dovobet but the only time my fingers improve my s when I am on holiday relaxing and getting sun! I feel pretty miserable and just want to get away! I type and use the pic every day in the Office and even that becomes difficult.i have to use a stamping machine and it's really scary for me that I could catch my fingers. I don't even know if this is psoriasis or excema! The diet and no alcohol is perhaps the way forward.

To take part, sign in or register with us