Recent diagnosis and struggling to take in

Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 00.03 by Sophie2302

Hi, I was diagnosed with Psoriasis last week and I am struggling to accept it. This seems silly to me but I have been crying myself to sleep every night since I found out. The reason this has hit me so hard is because I already have another 2 "incurable" conditions which lower my self esteem. I have something called pompholyx which consists of blisters on the palms of my hand and soles of my feet, this condition is very unsightly and causes me a lot of pain. I also was diagnosed with Polycystic ovary syndrome, as well as the possibility this condition could cause me to have fertility issues it also causes other distressing symptoms such as facial hair and difficulties with my weight. So to paint the picture I am about to turn 30, I am single and I have blisters covering my hands and feet, facial hair, I'm over weight, likely to have fertility problems (I have only had 2 periods in the last year!) and now my skin is covered in red scaley patches. I feel so disgusting and that no one will ever want me and I don't know how I can muster the courage to put myself out there dating because I feel anyone I meet will be disgusted by me. I've tried talking to my friends about this but they don't really understand they seem to think Psoriasis is another word for eczema. Any response from anyone who understands how I am feeling would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 21.07 by BobbyJean
I love heavy metal xx

Hello Sophie, your story saddened me very much. I can understand your distress. You asked about anyone understanding how you are feeling would be appreciated. Well I well understand on the psoriasis side of things. I have been there and thought my life was not worth living. But I thought to myself one day its about what we the psoriasis sufferer thinks others think of us. Others are more accepting of us than we are in fact. Treatments have come so far than when I first found out I had psoriasis. That was in 1974 when I was 13. I have had light treatment which helped so much . As for your other worries such as facial hair that can be removed, weight gain can be lost! I can understand that all these health issues on your shoulders can be a negative on your self. Are you seeking any medical help. For depression of some sort? Before you go into dating you need to help yourself. Seek help start to feel happy , do something about things nothing comes to you. You have to go to it? I'm sorry if I sound harsh but you need to like yourself before you can ever expect someone to like you. You have already made a start by posting on this page. God bless you xxxxx

Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 22.09 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi Sophie. Bobby Jean is absolutely right there are things you can do to help your self esteem and you will feel so much happier. I have had psoriasis since I was seven and was bullied at school.. I comfort ate and ended up with lots of fillings and lost teeth as I have got older and was over weight. So I concentrated on healthy eating not dieting and occasional treats and I was so thrilled when I could look good in my clothes even if I didn't look so good without them. This gave me a real confidence boost when I had compliments. Ask your doc to get you an appointment with a dermatologist. There are several treatments to have. I am going to try juicing to see if it helps and its good for weight control and just healthy anyway.

Posted Tue 5 Sep 2017 21.09 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way, Sophie. I have Psoriasis (covering my entire torso at the moment) and my girlfriend has Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. After almost four years, we can't get rid of each other! Finding a genuine, long-term relationship under any circumstances is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and the conditions you mentioned don't help. However, without trying to patronise you, there is a lot more to you than your health conditions; I'm sure you have lots of attributes, interests and quirks that someone out there would find adorable. And as previous people have said, when dating there is a lot to be said for self-confidence, self-love and making the most out of what you've got appearance-wise. Unfortunately friends sometimes don't understand health conditions they've never had. In fact, until I was diagnosed with Depression, I had some very strange beliefs about it! However, communities like this allow people to chat with people that will understand and who can empathise.

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2017 02.28 by life0007

Hi Sophie, the nature gives us these things sometimes and we have no control whatsoever about it. First of all, it is possible to be happy without a partner. You can find internal happiness I many things, like science, arts, charity, volunteering, etc. Second, a long stable relationship is rarely based on the look alone. One day you will find the partner, if that's what you desire, who will love you for the personality. Just please do not become bitter and continue loving the world. My psoriasis is not visible to others but it is added on top of several other health issues, and depression comes on top. I have been loving like this for years but I find that it doesn't stop me from having very happy moments. Please try to enjoy and have as many moments in life as possible. You can write to me if you want to talk about your psoriasis and I will listen. (Lond time painful psoriasis sufferer)

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2017 21.41 by BobbyJean
I love heavy metal xx

I think we should all take a leaf out of life0007 book. Nature gives us our deal. X

To take part, sign in or register with us