Which treatments work???

Posted Wed 11 Oct 2017 10.17 by KT416

Hello I am a student from Huddersfield and am writing an essay on psoriasis. I want to research current psoriasis treatments and developing treatments and which work best. I am hoping to get a insight on which treatments work and what best ways to use them. Any information will be very helpful!!! Thank you

Posted Wed 11 Oct 2017 13.24 by Gautamse

Hi, To be precise, different treatment works for different people. We cannot strictly describe a specific treatment. If you need any detailed information, you may ask the fighters here. Cheers!

Posted Thu 12 Oct 2017 22.09 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Unfortunately, Gautamse is absolutely right. Going through a severe case of psoriasis for the first time is incrediby traumatic for exactly that reason: there are a range of different treatments (grouped into topical, systemic, phototherapy and biologic) and you have absolutely no idea which one will work for you. It's a case of trial and error, which is made worse by some treatments needing weeks or even months to start having any effect. During my first case of severe psoriasis in 2011 (around 60% coverage) it took about a year to realise that methotrexate didn't work at all and cyclosporin had a very limited effect. Although I was then offered biologics, I went down the UVB phototherapy route instead, which eliminated all of my psoriasis except the scalp which I was very grateful for, but now it's come back with around 50% coverage but much more painful. I'm two weeks into my second round of UVB phototherapy, which is proving to be unexpectedly painful, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2017 16.44 by Mumski

Having researched articles on another condition (osteoarthritis) I discovered that UVB therapy can help both conditions. Did a bit of digging and it turns out that Vit D deficiency can worsen both OA and psoriasis. I've started taking a vit D supliment and already my OA is much less symptomatic.. I'll get back to you if it makes a difference to my Psoriasis, which at the moment is very painful.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 10.21 by KT416

Thank you all so much for this information. It has been very useful for my report and has given me an insight to daily struggles psoriasis sufferers go through on a day to day basis. Good luck to everyone for the future and I hope some kind of 'cure' for psoriasis can develop soon!!! Again thank you so much your insight.

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 14.34 by lesley08

I had my first flare up at 16.. I was covered from head to toe in patches, I learned to live with it. I had used sunbeds, dovabet and multiple others, when I got pregnant it totally went away (some release of hormones and once had my baba it came back worse, I am using a foam spray atm called ~Enstilar and it started working within a week.. great so far. :)

To take part, sign in or register with us