New to Psoriasis

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 15.27 by Nannyjanny

I have been diagnosed with Psoriasis since my Dad passed away in July. My G. P has been great and I am seeing him fortnightly. I am 65 and have never had anything like this before. My doctor thinks it’s been brought on due to nursing my dad. I am working my way through all sorts of meds. And trying everything I have been offered but the itch is driving me insane. My doctor has given me a antihistamine to help me sleep at night but it makes me feel so hungover that I don’t take it every night. I feel like my life is ruined and it seems so unfair that I have lost Dad and now have this to contend with. I know it’s a bit self absorbed but I don’t think I can cope if this does not improve. Feel totally lost

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 19.21 by Skippergus

Hi, I was prescribed an antihistamine to help me sleep and it affected me the same as you, when I mentioned this to my GP he suggested taking the medication earlier in the evening, I was taking it at about 9 o'clock and then I took it about 7 o'clock and it helped! I hope this helps skippergus

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 21.28 by Nannyjanny

Thank you. funnily enough, i took it at 7 tonight afteran awful day and feel a bit calmer and staying up til my eyes droop. Fingers crossed for a decent night. hope you do too.

Posted Thu 19 Oct 2017 17.41 by Skippergus

Hi, I just hope it works for you just stick with it, It helped me! Best regards

Posted Sat 21 Oct 2017 09.03 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Sorry to hear of your situation, Nannyjanny. My psoriasis has been so sore, painful and itchy for the last couple of months that I've had to request to work from home rather than going into the office. Sleep has also been a nightmare; I must get 3-4 hours each night, if I'm lucky. I've actually given up on forcing sleep now. Instead of lying in bed for hours on end itching and feeling miserable, I lie on the sofa. Still itch, but feel slightly less miserable with the distraction of TV and then I eventually fall asleep. Antihistamines have no effect on my itch. I'm just taking generic over-the-counter ones at the moment, but I've tried much stronger prescription ones in the past and they've been useless too. Although antihistamines make you feel hungover the next day, do they help you to sleep at night?

Posted Sat 21 Oct 2017 14.01 by Nannyjanny

Hi Ivor. I can really sympathise with you. I had the worst ever day on Tues night and Wednesday and the best day so far yesterday and i have no clue as to why, have found with the Phenergan that The Doctor prescribed if at take it at 7 at night and sit up til I cant keep my eyes open and make sure that my room is cold i get a bit of sleep sometimes its broken and sometimes four or five hours, I am a waiting for an appointment on the NHS but have decided to see a consultant privately that i cant really afford but i need some answers. My G P is very kind but has limited things that can help. May i ask what biologics is ? I dont work any more as i resigned to look after my Dad. but couldnt if i wanted too as it takes so long to cream myself and often look so awful its just not nice. I have never been a sick note and although I am 65 would love to go back to work. I hope you have a respite soon. regards as i am at my wits end

Posted Sat 21 Oct 2017 14.03 by Nannyjanny

Hi Skippergus, I have been sleeping a little better since taking my meds early as you suggested, Many thanks

Posted Sun 22 Oct 2017 14.46 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Nannyjanny. Biologics are the latest drugs for psoriasis. Very expensive and can have devastating side effects, so only prescribed after other treatments aren't suitable or haven't worked. See https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/psoriasis-and-treatments/treatments/from-a-dermatologist. I'm going to try taking my antihistamine earlier in the evening too...

Posted Tue 24 Oct 2017 14.27 by Helen Evans

This cream has been mentioned in today's newspapers: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5009847/Steroid-free-cream-clear-scaly-skin-psoriasis.html I too take an antihistamine early evening and find that I get a better night's sleep. Can also recommend stick feet out from under the duvet :-) Hope you find something to help soon.

Posted Tue 24 Oct 2017 17.55 by Nannyjanny

Hi Helen Thanks for the tips . I have never been able to sleep under a duvet so just have a sheet and throw. I will check out the cream 👍

Posted Wed 25 Oct 2017 12.30 by Alison

Hi have suffered for many years with plaque psoriasis and last December had a nasty outbreak of guttate psoriasis brought on by a severe throat infection. I was literally covered head to toe in spots and had a miserable few months until it subsided. I regularly used the sun beds, it helped me, in addition to natural sunlight as much as I could get out in it!! Summer was really miserable as I still had the residual effects of the guttate spots on my legs, hips and buttocks. I finally went back to my GP who referred me to a dermatologist, am currently on week 2 of UVB treatment and hopeful it will help in addition to Enstilar foam also prescribed by the dermatologist and has been a revelation, truly, really the best prescription I have ever picked up from the pharmacy. I am coping, my GP said the guttate would go in time and he was right, but it took a long time to get where I am now and I think I drove my husband mad stressing about how my legs looked everyday I wore a skirt in summer!!!!!

Posted Sun 5 Nov 2017 19.12 by Nannyjanny

Thank you for your help but I am off to see a dermatologist on Tuesday. I have been more or less coverd since August and I am struggling to cope and will accept whatever he suggests. It’s a massive impact on my life and need someone to answer my questions.

To take part, sign in or register with us