Is this psoriasis?

Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 11.33 by e_m_m_a

Hi all I've been reading through the forums here with interest, but am still not sure if I actually have psoriasis. I've just had an outbreak of spots on my arms that started as little red spots (I thought it was hand, foot and mouth caught from my toddler). These then spread out into dry, red 1cm patches on my arms, shoulders and spine. I have the odd spot elsewhere, on my stomach and legs. The GP is treating for psoriasis with a steroid cream and emollient but I'm still not sure. The spots haven't been itchy, and I'm 36 which would be an odd time to develop it. It doesn't look much like the pictures I"ve seen online (the spots ended up a bit dry but not really scaly). I'm otherwise very healthy and there's no family history. On the other hand the spots are only just healing up after one month, I had a bad cut on my hand recently and I have been under some stress with work, sick children etc. So my question is, does this sound like psoriasis to the people who have actually had it?Or could it be something else, like an allergy? Would love any advice. Emma

Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 12.17 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Most skin eruptions are treated with some form of steroid cream plus an emollient, so whatever it is that has smitten you will usually be treated with that combination. As for a diagnosis, none of us sufferers are qualified to offer you one; BUT with stress and sick children at home it is most probable that your doc is right to label it P. If your doc could also offer you relaxation therapy, then I am sure you would benefit ...good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us