Newly diagnosed and not sure what to do next. . .

Posted Wed 13 Dec 2017 12.01 by PsA@32

Hi All First time posting to these types of forums so do excuse the lack of etiquette etc. I have recently - in the last 6-8 months been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at 32. I was seeing a consultant who prescribed Methotrexate and then referred me back to my GP recently for repeat prescriptions. Great, you think - I simply need to contact my GP, get my repeat prescription once the methotrexate I have runs out and all will be fine...Unfortunately not! Firstly I was unable to get through to my GP having been told by reception to call at 8.30am (along with every other member of the surgery wanting appointments!) so I gave up for a period and "suffered in silence". The reasoning is also that my partner and I wish to try for a baby and I read conflicting information about fertility and being on Methotrexate (I'm male by the way). The methotrexate was also "only doing so much" I still have difficulty performing everyday tasks and suffer fatigue - especially at work (recently I found my self falling asleep at my desk - to my utter embarrassment). My worry for the future is really about how I will support my partner - we want to try for a baby and I am happy to suffer fir a period off medication but even after this when on medication I worry that the other knock on effects of the PsA makes my future prospects untenable. We have also in he last few years purchased our first property and I worry that the worsening of my condition means I am unable to financially support us - shes earns a good wage too so know that we would 'cope' but still feel I could be a burden, I am also increasingly relying on her to do some things for me like getting a drink and doing some basic tasks if I am struggling to get off the sofa etc. I also wanted to see what (if anything) people did about claiming any entitled benefits? I have recently looked at the PIP payments and wondered if I would be eligible... Sorry there is a lot there - just getting it all off my chest I suppose. Essentially I want to understand my options with regards starting a family and any financial support I could claim in the event work becomes too much... Thanks all PSA@32

To take part, sign in or register with us