Pain management

Posted Wed 13 Dec 2017 19.50 by Naomi.russ

Hi all, I have has psoriasis for about 3 years now. I have tried every cream under the sun and had been on cyclosporin before my last 2 pregnancies. (Both of which made my psoriasis completely disappear.) My main issue with the psoriasis is the Pain! How does everyone else manage the Pain caused from the plaques? I have steroid cream that I have used for over 1 year now and moisturise but the back of my legs are so painful. I have to wear tight trousers or tights for work which makes it worse. Any suggestions please Thank you Naomi

Posted Thu 14 Dec 2017 10.46 by Tat (edited Thu 14 Dec 2017 10.47 by Tat)

The pain is vile! I know how you feel ! I use strong painkillers! Steroid cream I found useless on the thick plaques as it can't be absorbed through them. I didn't want to but I've given in and started acitretin it has worked to reduce the plaques but at the mo the continual skin production continues. Big side effects. Read up yourself. Good luck, it seems we have to just try to find our best individual path through this awful thing good luck

Posted Fri 15 Dec 2017 07.37 by Sue P

I would have a word with your employer regarding your trousers. It sounds like a reasonable request, also if you have had this for over 12 months it is classed as a Disability, just google you’re sure to come up with advice.x

Posted Tue 2 Jan 2018 09.38 by Idy (edited Tue 2 Jan 2018 09.39 by Idy)
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Naomi. Recently I was covered from neck to ankles in psoriasis, which was much more sore and painful than it had ever been in the past. Moisturising helped with the dryness and cracking, but not the soreness. Tight clothing exacebated the pain. I guess the only way to get rid of the pain is to get rid of the psoriasis itself. Unfortunately I didn't feel I had any option other than taking time away from work. I worked from home for a couple of months (which isn't ideal for my job, and impossible in a lot of jobs) and then the pain just got too much and I took sick leave for the third month. My GP provided 'fit notes' to justify these arrangements. I too struggled with tight clothing, so I ended up wearing a soft, loosely fitting tracksuit whilst I was at home. Definitely speak with your GP about providing a 'fit note' which will state that you are fit for work as long as reasonable adjustments are made by your employer, e.g. looser clothing (which doesn't necessarily have to be a tracksuit). Also, are men in your workplace required to wear tight trousers or tights? If not, perhaps there's another battle to be had...

To take part, sign in or register with us