Palmoplantar Pustulosis Psoriasis

Posted Wed 27 Dec 2017 09.03 by Shandy284

Help! I have suffered from this condition for 4 months. I was misdiagnosed as every GP was diagnosing it as Eczema. I went two a Dermatologist 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with PPP. Feeling pretty down, agitated, and frustrated to be honest. I am currently into my second week on Methotrexate. I know it takes at least a month to start working however I have tried so many steroid creams, aloe vera, Zinc tablets, antihistamines, bandaging them up, etc and the cycle just continues. Very itchy hands and feet, small pussy blisters appear, then dry out, crack, peel and it becomes so sore and painful. Then it clears and then it comes back. I have heard smoking doesn't help so have stopped. I have reduced my caffeine intake and am in recovery therefore I do not drink. I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on what worked for them? Temporary relief anything to be honest! I don't even know if this Methotrexate is going to work? I have days where I am ok, but it gets to me, my self esteem is struggling and it makes what I do for a living difficult. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Posted Thu 28 Dec 2017 15.44 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

If you find you are struggling with metho then there is a more modern alternative called Otezla. It has done more for me in less that a year than over 50yrs of all the alternatives have achieved. Its in the expensive NHS category so you might have to fight for it as I did, but to me the fight was well worth it :thumbup:

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 21.09 by Bethkin

Hi there, I have been diagnosed with PPP for just over 5 months now. I was the same as u kept being fobbed off by doctors saying it was eczema and was fighting with them for well over 6 months till I begged for a dermatology referral! I saw dermatology in November and was commenced on PUVA treatment which is not working at all! In fact tonight I have been fed up and have been in tears because of the pain and agony my feet are in! I’m hoping they might start me on medication treatment soon and will be seeing my consultant on the 17th April. How are u finding the medication now and did it work for u? Any advice would be great :)

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 21.27 by Mcgraw

I have the same condition for a year and a half... am booked in for PUVA Treatment this Monday and am terrified after reading everyone's comments...as I am self employed and can't afford to be off my feet...as my job is on my feet all day. So it scares me.... not sure what's best...

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 22.31 by Bethkin

I have been having PUVA since November now and I am on the top regime for the most amount of time available and it isn’t doing anything! I’m still in agony daily to a point where I am in tears. I am also on my feet all day and end my 12 hour shifts hobbling down the corridors. It’s a tough one but hoping to be put on something soon alongside PUVA as I can’t carry on like this. Will keep u informed and let you know what happens ;)

Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 22.15 by Dionnemcleodx
Im a 21 year old hair dresser with ppp just on my hands only

Hi I only have this on my hands got put on doxycycline and it seems to help to a certin extent I am a hairdresser so it’s not very good iv had to come off it as due to start PUVA in a couple of weeks but I don’t think personally it will work but I have found that since coming off doxycycline I have been doing a lot of swimming and my hands have been controllable iv had it for over a year and only started seeing a dermatologist in October they kept telling me it was dermatitis because of my job but everything has proved it’s not I get the down and very low days where I just cry and don’t want to go to work it’s affected my nails really bad too I have no nails there considering methotrexate for me too hope this helps

Posted Tue 27 Mar 2018 15.21 by Helen Evans

I had it on my hands and feet. Buy a foot-file and then (twice a day) file down the hard skin; give feet and hands a good soak in oily, salty water, rub off any flaky skin. Apply Exorex (straight from the fridge), which reduces the rate at which skin multiplies and stops the itching (yay), and then slather on Vaseline just before bed. I wore socks and gloves for a time at night. I needed to do this for several weeks until I could see an improvement. Hands now clear. Two smallish patches on feet which don't bother me day to day. I haven't given up smoking or alcohol and eat whatever I want in the way of good quality food. Hope you find something to work for you.

Posted Thu 29 Mar 2018 00.23 by D. Brother (edited Thu 29 Mar 2018 00.25 by D. Brother)

I have a way to stop the constant onslaught of palmoplantar pustulosis. Before starting this treatment, the PPP had come back over and over again until I couldn't stand the pain on the bottoms of my feet and hands. I had to find a way to stop this, so I considered the cause of the skin being mistaken for something foreign and our own white cells were constantly attacking the skin. I then thought that if the white cells were removed from the pustules by using a sterile needle to pop them and the fluid inside removed, it might go into a healing process right away. After popping, used hydrogen peroxide to take care of any side infection. Each new pustule had to be popped each night before bed and then a non-alcohol lotion was applied to keep the area soft as it dried up. The pustules will turn dark and then begin to heal. I had to do this for a couple of years until, now it is not recurring anymore. If I should see the tiniest white pustule on my foot, then I would pop it so it would not grow worse and heal up quickly. To my amazement, it worked.. I hope this is a way for others to find relief from this horrible autoimmune condition. Sending love, Doris

Posted Tue 17 Apr 2018 18.16 by Cazzy27

Hi. Has anyone had any experience with Infliximab? I might be offered it at my next appointment so just wondering if I can get any information beforehand. I have PPP on the soles of my feet and they are running out of ideas to treat it. Thankyou

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 06.16 by Sueh72
Hello! I was diagnosed today with ppp.

I have been prescribed a ointment/ cream called Clobetasol propionate ointment 0.05% ..it has worked so far . Hope this isn't 1 you have tried and found it to not work..

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 07.26 by Cazzy27

Hi. No I haven't been given that one. I have just been given DiproSalic 0.05% which I have used before but it's not to be used for long periods but will help for time being. Good luck with your treatment. It's not a nice thing to have!

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 16.54 by D. Brother

Read my post for a way to inhibit the onslaught of PPP. It worked for me. Now it has abated due to this type of treatment. It works, believe me.

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 17.44 by Sueh72
Hello! I was diagnosed today with ppp.

Cazzy27 ,I would ask the dr. For this to try ,I seriously have not had my hands so normal looking ..in at least a year ! Couldn't hurt to ask dr to try it ,i wish you good luck also .And your right it's not a good thing to have!

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 17.48 by Bethkin

D.brother I tried this for months with no luck! I was in constant pain with mine and have now been put on cyclosporine. It’s cleared up within a week and my feet look amazing!! However I have had to have my big toe nails removed today as the spots grew under my toe nails and made them ingrowing! But my feet look amazing! Would highly recommend it!

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 18.01 by Cazzy27

Hi Bethkin. I also have done really well on Cyclosporin with no side effects to start with. However as time went on it started to affect my kidney (I only have one) so they had to reduce mine to 100mg a day which just isn't enough. I really wish I could have stayed on it but I should find out next week what my options are. Hope they do regular blood tests for you.

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 18.12 by Bethkin

Oh that’s so sad? I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope that it doesn’t affect me too! I suffered from bad nausea and I have pains in the backs of my legs the nausea is better but the aching isn’t lol! I had a blood test before I went on it and now I’ve been on it just over a week and a half but my next blood test is in 4 weeks time? Is that normal?

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 18.17 by Cazzy27

Yes that sounds normal. Hopefully the aching will subside soon for you and glad the nausea has gone. I didn't have any of that luckily but I did when I was on Methotrexate. That was horrid!

Posted Fri 20 Apr 2018 00.04 by D. Brother

The warning for Cyclosporine reads - "WARNING: Cyclosporine is a drug that reduces the body's ability to fight illness/disease (an immunosuppressant), leaving patients vulnerable to infection or other problems (including cancers such as lymphoma)". The lasting effects of using my non-drug way of stopping this disease are worth the work. And, we can start the healing right away. This requires the constant draining of the white immune cells as they fill the pustule eating away at your own skin. There is more to do with the wounds on your feet with lotions, etc. PPP is an autoimmune disease and you just need to keep it up as a daily routine for a few years like I did. It has been years now since I last had a relapse. Good luck.

Posted Sun 22 Apr 2018 09.07 by mully

Hi everyone this is my first post. Was diagnosed with PPP about 5 months ago, my treatment was Betnovate for 2 weeks and apply neutrogena 7 time a day. I have had psoriasis since i was 10yrs old. that is well under control. Really didn't know about PPP and what I have read, its like starting all over again. I have spent years getting my psoriasis under control and my skin looking great, and then i start with this. Am moving in a few weeks, so will have to register with a new GP. it feels never ending with so many different treatments, really don't know if i can do it all over again. Am 62, but a young one i hope. Any advice would love to hear it.

Posted Sun 22 Apr 2018 09.14 by Bethkin

For starters.... welcome!! You have come to the best place for advice and support! This forum has really really helped me through the last 5 months of pain and mixed emotions! I was diagnosed with PPP around the same time around 5 months ago. I have had PUVA treatment which didn’t work but now I am on cyclosporine medication which has cleared it up a treat! This type of psoriasis is normally brought on through stress? Maybe the moving house business has set it off again? I know stress makes it ten times worse with me although I don’t feel like I’m over stressed! This group has really helped me though! The support from people are amazing and if u have any questions or anything then this place is the best place to ask!

To take part, sign in or register with us