Hey all, I’m new and struggling!

Posted Mon 8 Jan 2018 19.50 by Hjaney

Hi everyone, I’m new to this but just seeking some advice... I’m a 24 year old female and was diagnosed with psoriasis about 6 months ago. There’s no history of it in my family and I’ve never had anything like this before. It started off as Guttate however I wasn’t diagnosed properly until a few months ago - doctors went back and forth about what might be causing my rash as it changed form quite a lot and became really wide spread after initially being quite minimal (didn’t really respond to steroid cream). About 2 months ago it suddenly became even worse, looking like giant sunburn all over my stomach and back, more spots down my arms and legs and so I was prescribed oral steroids and finally began Phototherapy 4 weeks later. After 5 weeks my skin was totally clear and I was amazed, however a week after coming off the steroids (I was tapered off) and alongside my first few sessions of Phototherapy and sure enough my rash has returned, covering a lot of my stomach and back. I’ve been told that’s the issue with oral steroids - can cause a rebound effect. I’m still early days with Phototherapy (10 sessions in) and back to using topical steroid cream, but I just feel really down and hopeless about it all. Has anyone got any advice about how to manage a flare up? I moisturise all the time and follow the usual steps. Also, what are people’s experience with Phototherapy? Thanks for any help, X

Posted Sun 4 Feb 2018 17.09 by Nan50
I've had psoriasis most of my life.

Hi hjaney I’ve had psoriasis most of my life and had numerous ointments and creams. None really have done much to relieve p. Puva bath and phototherapy has been very effective.. my last treatment gave me remission which lasted nine months before retuning. I had twice weekly sessions for ten weeks so keep up with the treatment and hopefully you will see a huge difference. I believe the puva bath is the key as it makes your p more sensitive to the phototherapy... ask if you haven’t been offered!! Good luck ps i’m waiting for my appointment for the next course .. it’s a lengthy one this time due to the NHS crisis .. prepared to wait as i’m hoping for a good result .. boost morale no end.

Posted Thu 15 Feb 2018 20.47 by lostviking

Hi all, I'm new here to.... I have been reading the forums and I feel terrible after hearing how bad some people really suffer with psoriasis, even though my psoriasis is minimal compared to some its only happened in the last year but felt like the end of the world. Mine! started in the usual places knees and elbows and then I noticed it in my beard, but no redness! just the scaling, however now it has spread down on my right shin in smaller spots, now under my chin and one of my eyebrows and just to kick me while I'm down its decided to appear on my left forearm...again I cant stress enough these are minimal to some but you know how I feel. I know its mainly because of stress from being unemployed for such a long time but the thing I don't get is ive never been healthier, I was vegan! when this started I was working out taken supplements becoming obsessed with nutrition! I just don't understand. Then again my mum has suffered with it for years so I guess that's more than likely why. I haven't actually been to a doctor yet as I knew what it was so didn't see much point but I have made an appointment today for blood work because I'm still not sure if it could be diet related, I'm thinking the whole vegan thing could have been a trigger for me, loss of energy low mood...could be leaky gut? also I did have a tiny bit of weeping from the patch on my chin?? that can not be good I'm guessing?. Thanks for listening, hope you all have some relief

Posted Fri 16 Feb 2018 12.31 by Elaine 1968

I thought I had dandruff to begin with but never had it before. I went to Dr as it felt like I had a cap on my head. I am on my 2nd ointment which isn't working. They think it is psoriasis, now I have some in both ears. Not sure what to do, my joints suddenly hurt which I am not sure is due to my spinal stenosis or sciatica. Amy one else got joint pain with psoriasis? I am only 50 in a couple of month and feel 90 at the moment. What can I do it's so embarrassing as when I scratch my head it's like a snow blizzard.

Posted Fri 16 Feb 2018 16.28 by Rooster30

Hi. I’m new too and suffering as well. I’m feeling slightly more positive as I am out of the GP zone and under consultant care now. I have just today been referred for light therapy - I am just grateful to be taken seriously. I have had psoriasis for a while but nothing beyond the odd scaly patch here and there. Over Christmas I got hit hard with psoriasis guttate and my goodness it’s a pain. Low steroid cream, followed by oral steroids, followed by natural treatment, followed by Dovobet and still struggling on. My body is covered, but gratefully my head has swerved it (but not the scalp 😫). It has really dampened my mood, I don’t like having my husband see me in all my glory, I have avoided social occasions etc It’s not exactly good for ones confidence. I hope you find something that helps soon. It is a truly awful condition.

Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 04.57 by Alimay6

Dear Hjaney. I have had psoriasis for at approx 10 yrs quite significantly on palms of my hands but not fingers. I have found a strict diet low in all forms of sugar including alcohol keeps it relatively under control. I also discovered that practising Bikram Yoga helps my skin significantly reducing inflammation. So much so I have now become a yoga teacher. Just being in the heated environment of the yoga room seems to help. I, like others am sensitive to heat and when I become hot or hands touch hot surfaces I have a lot of itching. Stress is also a very big factor. Look at your diet there is much research recently with gut bacteria and auto-immune disease. Using steroid creams can help but I’ve found if you use them too much you become immune and they are no longer so effective (plus they are long term damaging) so I use them sparingly every few days only. A good one (prescription only in Australia) ins Daivobet 50/500 ointment. I am working constantly to heal my body of this disease and changing lifestyle is a big factor. I am genetically predisposed and have had it on my ankles also for much longer then hands. Hands became an issue after I was diagnosed with Blastocysts Hommus gut parasite, since been removed with some serious anti-biopics. Gut health seems to be a big factor for me. Hope this helps a little. Ali

Posted Sun 25 Feb 2018 21.54 by HSussex5 (edited Sun 25 Feb 2018 21.56 by HSussex5)

Hello everyone I’m also New too! Had psoriasis for 9 years this June, I have only ever had scalp psoriasis but sadly it has spread only a few weeks ago to small patches on my arms legs and stomach this has made me very sad and also worried about how much more it might spread, scalp is particularly bad atm covers 60% of my head and my ears and is starting to cause little bald patches from where I’m scarring I think. Could anyone recommend any good scalp treatments I can try? I’ve only used T gel in the last few years as I got sick of using loads of chemicals! Xxxx

Posted Sun 25 Feb 2018 21.59 by HSussex5

Hi Elaine 1968 My psoriasis sound really similar to yours and I also suffer from lower back pain and sciatica, I was wondering if my back pain could be psoriasis related also! I’m glad you described the flakes as a blizzard it really is my kids all scream it’s snowing and my poor husband Just does his best not to be grossed out, scalp psoriasis sucks :( xxxx

Posted Mon 26 Feb 2018 09.32 by Elaine 1968

Hi HSussex5 I have found that using coconut oil which is really cheap in Aldi is helping. My husband puts it on my head and if I can tolerate it for about an hour then shampoo off with oilatum helps to soften it. Then the Dr has given me a steroid ointment to use on the affected area which stays on for 15 mins. Then I wash it off by shampooing and using a good conditioner. This has really helped but you need to do it daily I am afraid. Hope this helps. X

Posted Thu 1 Mar 2018 13.29 by Linda

I'm new too. My rash started on my scalp and eventually started on my skin. It does get u down. Iv had so many different shampoos and lotions from my Dr but none seem to help. My legs (below the knee) has got really bad, to the extent that I worry about a ulcer starting. With doing alot of homework I have just purchased a 9 bulb uvb lamp. I had it for just 3 days....i used it on day one for 60 seconds. 2 minutes on Day 2. And missing today. I don't want to jump in head first and overdue the time. Could anyone give me advise on how often I should use it? And how long each session? Thankyou. Linda alot of homework

Posted Sun 4 Mar 2018 08.19 by IanYorks (edited Sun 4 Mar 2018 08.20 by IanYorks)

Hi all. , I'm also new to this forum, however I have had psoriasis for 40 years and have had so many different treatments, some worked for a while then it would come back , light treatment would make me itch days after and all I got was a good tan. I was covered in large scales from my scalp right down to the tops of my feet,no fun growing up and getting stared at or picked on. For the past five years I've been on a drug called Stellara, which is a three monthly injection prescribed by my dermatologist, it took a while but it worked and now I'm clear apart from my scalp, which I use dovabet gel on,it works for a while but does come back, thinking of trying enstilar. All I want to say is, if you are under a dermatologist, push them for these injections, if the one I'm on doesn't work there are more now available that could work for you . If I can be of any help to anyone, please feel free to message me. Thanks for taking the time to read. Cheers Ian

To take part, sign in or register with us