Just been diagnosed and struggling to accept!

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 11.46 by Amelialouise

Hi, I’m a 22 year old female who has just been diagnosed with guttate psoriasis. I am absolutely covered from head to toe, I’ve always suffered with dry skin but never thought it would come to something like this. I came out with chicken pox and apparently sometimes this can be the aftermath. I honestly can say it’s really affected me. I’ve never been really that confident as I said I’ve always had dry skin and have always tried to hide it. Im a very socialable person around friends and family but since being diagnosed I can’t even bear to leave the house. I don’t want to see anyone and have cancelled weeks worth of plans. I can honestly say I could cope if it was just on my body but my face is covered and I can’t seem to settle the horrible red dry scabs, can anyone help? Just a little advive on how to cope?

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 12.14 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Amelia, Its not easy. I have tried some treatments. I can offer you my experiences. This will prepare you for the future. I think the more knowledge you have will make you positive and in control of this situation. Its a burden this thing.....we all have to deal with it. Tony.

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 14.01 by Stacy

AmeliaLouise, The best way to control the situation, is exactly what Tony said, more knowledge about the condition will assist you in managing it. I can feel your distress and can completely understand. There are many more treatments today, then there were 20-30 years ago to control psoriasis. Stay positive, keep your head up and don't allow this condition to change who you are. With that being said, keep inquiring others about treatments, find out what triggers your condition, and stay informed. You can have control. I wish you the very best! Stacy

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 14.06 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Hey Stacy , the Americans have different medications....any suggestions?

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 14.07 by Hayley

Amelialouise, You have pretty much just described me. I've had 2 very small patches of P for 2 years and after having my son in June I have had a major break out and covered head to toe. I'm quite a confident person but have cancelled all my plans so far this year as I now have it on my face. However I have done a lot of research and trialled a lot of different creams etc, i'm currently on a 6 week course of acupuncture and cupping which so far I think is helping perhaps more so with the stress side of things. My dr has just referred me to a dermatologist so I feel slightly positive about the future which again has probably helped my skin. Everyone says to me its fine but when I've had clear skin all my life its so difficult to accept this. I want my clear skin back and to be able to wear askirt or short sleeve top!

Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 19.07 by Amelialouise

Thankyou so much for your help, every little bit of support matters. And yes once you’ve had perfect skin upto this point it’s even worse and extremely hard to come to terms with. I will take in every little bit of advice from you all x

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2018 17.40 by JimB

I've been bathing using Oilatum Plus which can be got on presciption. It doesn't cure it but it helps along with creams etc. Worth a try. As everyone says try and be relaxed about it as stress certainly makes it worse.

Posted Wed 31 Jan 2018 22.19 by Deedee

Hi Amelialouise. Every now and again you need to get out and forget about. Try to get in touch with a makeup artist and pay to hide the exposed parts just to get a break for a day

Posted Sat 17 Feb 2018 04.43 by RidiculousBadger

Amelia, Stay strong. You aren't a different person after diagnosis. You can do this.

Posted Sat 17 Feb 2018 10.32 by Amelialouise

Thankyou ❤️

Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 00.50 by Joxx

Hey I’m 17 and I’m also covered from my scalp to my thighs, my face is absolutely covered also, I have been this way for years and haven’t even fully accepted it yet I still don’t think it’s sunk in, I think my way of dealing with it was eating I’ve put on 2 stone since it started and Now my weight bothered me more than the P for some reason maybe if I get my goal weight it’ll bother me? Not sure. But I have found that a cream from amazon works, I’m a bit wide spread to apply it all the time because I wear black a lot to work and it sticks to my clothes, it’s called sorion cream and you get a shampoo too, I know everyone’s different but I’m also waiting to try CBD I’m sure it’s called from Holland and Barrett’s it’s cannabis oil without the high part. I don’t think I’m much help to be honest but I just wanted you to know your not suffering alone, I like coming in here because I’ve never met anyone with p as severe as mine in person so it’s a comfort knowing others know how you feel x

Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 08.03 by Amelialouise

Hi sweetheart, I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s so understandable honestly I’ve done the same. I’ve locked myself away and indulged myself in comfort food. Just remember this condition does not control you, you are still YOU. If you honestly think losing weight will help then set yourself a goal and work towards it. What you eat is also a huge huge part of psoriosis. If you eat rubbish you feel rubbish! And in our instance my skin gets worse when I eat a lot of fatty foods, I’ve switched to coconut milk and lactose free cheese/ eat a lot of fruit/ drink lots of water and cut down on the sugar (start trying sugar free or gluten free). Don’t ever think you’re not helping my love, someone could always do with someone to talk to and that little bit of advice. ❤️ Add me on Facebook my names Mia Louise x

Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 13.15 by Liz

Joxx....hi! I too am waiting for my delivery from Holland and Barrett of CBD. My sister in law lives in Peru and makes her own oil. She absolutely swears by it. When I told her about my order (for which I feel a little naughty cause it's from cannabis) her response was that it will be like licking an aspirin for migraine 😄. However as I told her...baby steps. I can increase the amount I use and buy a more potent one if it works. She's coming for a visit in June and has promised to bring me some of her home made stuff. She's 62 looks 40, has MS and thyroid problems (both auto immune diseases) and takes no prescription drugs. I know i couldnt live her bohemian life style....im far too conservative...but shall definitely see how the CBD works and 're evaluate! Good luck to you.

To take part, sign in or register with us