Fatigue on methotrexate

Posted Tue 6 Feb 2018 19.11 by Avesty

Hi everyone, I was just looking for some advice regarding methotrexate. I have been on this treatment for around a year and I'm now on 22.5mg. I had very severe scalp psoriasis which methotrexate has really helped to improve. However I have been suffering fatigue and with trying to balance university and my job I feel it is becoming difficult. I have been falling asleep regularly throughout the day, and my mind feels foggy often. I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced this? And whether this is something I should consider making my university aware of. I would be grateful for any replies, Thanks

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 22.35 by ca4rog

Hi Avesty You have so much to do, I am so sorry you have to cope with fatigue as well. I've been on Methotrexate for about 18 months. in my case for arthritis. I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome years ago so I know what horrendous fatigue is. When I was given Methotrexate (20mg a week) I was also given a 28x5mg tablet pack of folic acid, take 1 tablet 2 days after metho. I was suffering fatigue again so I told the rheumatology nurse about the fatigue and was told I could take folic acid every day except the one day I took methotrexate. 3 tablets a week eased the fatigue, Folic acid counteracts the effects of Metho on the liver which may be the cause of the fatigue. I don't know what the situation is with psoriasis treatment but it might be worth checking out with your doctor or nurse. Would they reply by phone or email? (I have family members with psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, seen the problems they have.) It might be worth speaking to the welfare person at uni. On a college course a few years ago I was given a quiet room plus break half way through for an A level exam, due to the CFS. It made a difference just to stand up and have a snack for a few minutes. Are you facing lengthy exams, then a rest might help. Any concessions on courseworkwork deadlines might help. As for work, this condition and treatment are disabling but it depends how the firm treat their staff. Perhaps someone with experience of the Disability Discrimination Act could advise if there are problems, maybe the Citizens Advice online or by phone. Hoping things will improve soon. Carol

Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 21.57 by new to it

hi, avesty , i too had severe fatigue when was n methotrexate. am taking now Arava and it has not affected my energy or concentation levels , however methotrexate pretty much cleared teh psoriasis whereas Arava is not doin so , onteh ocntrary - i have new patches on my face which i never had before! so i guess it is just trial and error all the time .. as for the university , if you feel it is affecting you so much that it is hindering your studies i would consider asking teh university for consideration , see what they can offer that could really ease it for you ! good luck !

To take part, sign in or register with us