Scalp Psoriasis - Treatment success to share!

Posted Sun 11 Feb 2018 14.13 by kayp100

I've suffered with scalp psoriasis for over ten years. I would describe it as moderate when it flares up (at temples and side of head mainly) which i treat with diplosalic scalp solution under prescription. In October i could feel the beginnings of a flare up - scalp feeling "tighter" - which is my usual trigger to order diplosalic solution from my GP. However, there was a supply problem at the manufacturers and I was unable to get hold of any until the end of January. Normally after this amount of time without treatment the flare up would have been severe - thick scales covering my scalp which - despite all advice - i would tend to pick at, pulling away strands of hair in the process and leaving raw skin underneath. However, whilst waiting for the diplosalic solution to arrive I started using a silicone scalp massage brush. I've been trying to grow my hair thicker and longer (it is thin through being pulled out by me when picking at the psoriasis!) and came across the "inversion method" for hair growth on YouTube. You basically tip your head upside down for 4 minutes and massage the scalp. You are supposed to do this every day for one week then rest for three weeks before starting again. This is supposed to increase blood supply to the scalp and aid growth. It didn't actually work at all in terms of any new hair growth - but amazingly it seems to have completely stopped my flare up of psoriasis coming through. My scalp feels a little "tight" still but there are no scales developing at all . At the same time as starting the scalp massage I have been using Argan oil shampoo and conditioners. Whether this has contributed too I can't say - it could be a combination of the two factors? Apologies if this has been discussed before on the forum (i am new here) but I just wanted to share as I'm so happy to have found a way of controlling this without the messy use of steroid solutions. It may not work for everyone and if the flare up is severe it may be uncomfortable to use the massage brush - but once the flare up is under control it has seemed to me to be a good way of preventing it coming back or lessening the problem. I hope that this is helpful to someone out there!

To take part, sign in or register with us