Scalp psorasis in patches - does UV work?

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 15.14 by amyneedsadvice86

Hi, I've had psorasis on my scalp for coming up to 3 years. Its on the left hand side and in the middle of my scalp, not the edges so its not noticable unless you part the hair, I've got all sorts of ointments, oils, shampoos etc. Last saw the dermatologist a month ago and the routine he advised this time was the thick oil/tar/coconut ointment massaged into the areas, leave for a couple of hours (or overnight) to soften the scales, then wash the scalp using capasol shampoo to remove the loose scales, then once dry massage the dip....(cant remember the name) serum into the scalp. Once all this is done, my scalp feels thicker and more scaly but no dandruff on my shoulders because the itch is under control. But the problem is, my scalp doesnt feel like its getting rid of the scales and feels thick still!!! Its really getting me down as I cant stand the smell of all the shampoos and ointments, I'm paranoid about the smell around my new partner and its just getting me down!! I want a clear scalp like I used to have. Its totally stressing me out and I'm fed up. Do the UV brushes work?? Is this the best solution ? When I'm picking away the loose scales after the ointment, its not all coming off and its leaving my scalp red and sore in places. Nothing seems to be working. What can I do?? Any help would be hugely appreciated. xx

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 18.36 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Have you tried Calcipotroil or Betacap Worked for me...also clears up nails too?

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 20.19 by amyneedsadvice86

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes the Dr gave me betacap as one of the first remedies a couple of years ago but can't remember why he changed it. What is your routine using the treatments? When would you put the betacap on? Before or after you've removed some of the soft scales? Any advice on any shampoos which don't smell? Thanks

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 20.23 by ClearskinPls

Definitely not tee tree burns up the scalp Try Johnson's baby shampoo, cheap too. Also you must use the Betacap directly on the scalp with a gentle rubbing actio and also the rest of the head too

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 20.39 by amyneedsadvice86

Thank you. Would you massage the betacap into the scalp before or after shampooing the hair ? I tend to dry my hair with the hair dryer after I've removed the loose scales....is this wise to do as after I find the thick scales build back up. After drying with the hair dryer I massage the applications into the areas and leave for the day. Am I doing this right?

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 20.45 by ClearskinPls

Its a difficult call for hairdrying I presume it maybe important for you, I appreciate that , I dont shower my hair too much as natural oils is a cure . Its all a balance for me psoriasis is on me but the scalp is good every sufferer has different symptoms. Maybe refrain on the hairdryer? Or if you can afford it get the dyson hairdryer perfectly controlled. Dont worry im not a dyson salesman

Posted Fri 16 Feb 2018 17.03 by Chrissie NW

Hi I've had Psoriasis in my scalp for 40yrs I'm now in my late 60's and I'm now clear in my scalp through using T Gel I get it on prescription as living in Wales we don't pay, but it about £1.80 from the Chemist just put it on wet hair lather up( don't need a lot) leave it on for as long as you can, wash off and I use Simple Conditioner. Good Luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us