Acitretin

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 23.33 by Pola

Hello, has anyone got any experience with taking acitretin? Has it worked, how bad are the side effects? I have been advised to start taking it for my hand and feet pustular psoriasis. Many thanks, Kat

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 23.48 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

It takes months to kick in . And there will be side affects, maybe try ciclosporin very quick results. However you can't stay on too long and it too has affects..but could give you a deserved respite

Posted Sun 18 Feb 2018 01.14 by iamfugly

Hi Kat, I was on Acitretin for several months, about 5 years ago. It simply did not work for me. I cannot remember the side affects to much, I did suffer a bit but nothing serious that I can recall. Although I guess everyone is different. The one thing I would like to point out was that it was never raised to me the precaution of the dangers of taking Acitretin if you are planning for a family. Good luck with your treatment.

Posted Sun 18 Feb 2018 17.33 by Sandles

i have recently stopped taking acitretin as it only slightly improved my ppp did not Stop feet and hands splitting but the side effects were as bust as ppp imy hair was falling out affected My eyes, gums bleeding and made me Depressed although I know this isNot the case ForEveryone I have been prescribed methotrexate which I have been to frightened to take after Going To pick up prescription and Pharmacist telling me How Toxic They are!. And reading the information But will Have to take as I am Now Struggling to use My hands Or walk Has anyone any experience With methotrexate ??

1 Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 15.18 by Itchyman

I have been prescribed Acitretin (not started them yet) as I have Palmoplantar Pustulosis. I have had my spleen removed in the past due to an RCA and also a fatty liver. Do these tablets work as I have read that they have some really bad side affects?

Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 16.44 by Pola

Hi, I have not started taking them as I am not convinced that they ate going to work and really scared of the side effects. Thank you all for your replies.

Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 22.24 by Tashastansfield

Hi my husband has been taking acitretin for a few months now. Having read a lot of reviews we were very nervous about starting but it has helped him immensely with very few side effects. He still isn't clear but so much better than he was. Like any drug it effects everyone differently. I hope you also have a positive experience 😊 good luck!

Posted Sat 17 Mar 2018 09.41 by Martw17

My first ever message!!!: I took acitritin for at least 2 years and it certainly helped me, I stopped taking them when moving areas and foolishly thought I was better. Now back to being referred to the local hospital as my P is at is worse for over 20 years. I found it ok, worse side effect was the dry lips which needed constant attention but even that went after a period of time. the regular hospital visits and blood tests were never nice but manageable of course. I noticed an improvement after about 1 month and it certainly helped, never got rid of it all but certainly allowed me to have a better lifestyle.

Posted Mon 19 Mar 2018 11.49 by leejacks

I used it for a few months. Side effects weren't too bad, Got dry and cracked feet and hands , was helped by moisturising more. Unfortunuately didn't work for me and was going to have to stop the treatment anyway as had a needle phobia and couldn't cope with the blood tests.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 05.56 by HeatherS

I have had P for 25 years now, tried all sorts of treatments, creams, lotions and potions. Decided as I’m 50 this year I would try the drug treatment to see if I could get a break from it. I have been using it for 7 weeks now, P is getting softer but I have very dry and swollen lips, horrible feeling in my mouth, nothing tastes the same and slight hair loss. My skin around my face and neck is very sensitive and itchy (I didn’t have P in these areas). My feet are pealing. Can anyone tell me if they have had the same problems and if they side effects get better, how long do they last?

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 07.44 by Madi

Hi all, Was just checking people’s response and reactions they have had after talking Acitretin. After using steroid creams and cling film for year with no real relief another referral to a dermatologist has resulted in me taking this drug unsure to begin with because of the side effects but had to give it a try. After taking for a month results were good my foot was clear then it cam back . Not been clear since, heals for a week or two then back again still taking it on an increased dose but not holding out much hope. As for the side effects, they do get easier, dry lips, nose, eyes my skin was dry and itchy and my hair is thinning.

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 16.56 by Lizzie28

I took Acitretin for 5 months but at the same time I started a course of light therapy to give me a bit of relief from all the flaking skin and itching! So I think the improvement in my skin was due to 26 sessions of light therapy not Acitretin. I asked to be taken off it at my next appt as my hair (which is fine normally) was really terribly thin. I was embarrassed to go out very much. My lips were very dry and my nails, hands and feet were peeling all the time. I had to go to the gp about my feet as they were so painful to walk on. He said I was practically through to the dermis. He prescribed me hydromol ointment and silk socks! I had to lather on loads of ointment and wear the socks all the time. It did help in the end though! I'm now about to start Methotrexate so we will see how that goes - but - everyone's different, what suits one won't suit another

1 Posted Thu 24 May 2018 17.09 by Pola

Hi All, Thank you for all your comments. I have been on Acitretin for 1 month only. It definetly got worse as it spread onto my head and most of my body. The palms of my hands got better but skin starter to peel of my feet, toes and fingers and the itching is very severe. My lips are dry but I don't mind that as it makes me drink more water. My hair started thinning which is not so good. The most annoying thing is that I have lost all my dermis and my hands are very sensitive to touch anything. I am going to give it another few months to see if it will get any better.. Fingers crossed.

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 18.08 by MarkB

ive just been offered this today! the sun and lots of it seems to be the only thing that works for me so forever hopeful for those 6 numbers to come in but until then im open to any treatment .light treatment was great but didnt last . dovobet is my go to cream and lately ive tried tea tree oil with not too bad results if im honest .worked well on my joints in my hand and my nails

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 19.52 by Madi

I am taking acitretin at the moment for pustules psoriasis not working for me been taking it for 4 months side effects I’ve had are itchy skin dry lips and my skin seems waxy oh and not to mention my hair thinning my dermatologist also say my cholesterol has raised, hope you have found this useful

Posted Mon 18 Jun 2018 09.34 by TDGraggs

I have psoriasis on scalp, elbows, hands, arms, shins, knees,and bellybutton. It started for me around 12 years ago at the age of 26 or 27 and slowly took over my life, my siblings both developed it at various stages of their life and so did my mother although with her not until her 40's. In July last year I started taking 20mg ( 4 tabs ) once a week methotrexate following the advise of my consultant, The immediate results were perfect within 3 weeks I was mainly clear and the horrid mess I would leave behind was finally a distant memory, I could wear T-Shirts again and shorts without thinking everyone was looking at me and all for the small price of a trip to the Gp's for blood tests once a month. Following 3 or 4 months of treatment the sickness started to creep in and progressively got worse, It was always the morning after for me within 15 mins of waking up, stomach cramps, nauseous, then throwing everything i had inside of me up sometime feeling asif I was foaming at the mouth, sometimes it would only last for that 1st hour but sometimes half of the day and as the weeks got on the feelings above would be much worse to the point i decided to stop taking them as i questioned weather the psoriasis itself was more bearable. within 6 weeks all was back with vengeance and some. I visited the consultant last week as its taken around 4 moths to get to see him and hes advised that i should try the Acitretin starting on 40mg daily which i will, Whilst i was with the consultant i asked about having the methotrexate in self injection form as i have been told by various people that use it that its far less harsh on the side effects but was told by my consultant that I have to give this a go 1st in order to qualify for that. Anyways im not looking forward to some of those side effects that some of you guys have suffered especially the peeling lips ( which ive seen 1st hand when my mother was on this treatment.....

Posted Sun 24 Jun 2018 21.26 by Ailsa

I have had brilliant results with acitretin for the first time in my life. The side effects do improve after 6 months. My only problem is hair loss and peeling feet. Any suggestions.?

Posted Wed 27 Jun 2018 15.50 by tracey

Hi, i took acitretin for about two years, cleared up my psoriasis, but caused most of my hair to fall out, also peeling skin on feet and lips. Then went onto methotextrate for two years, then started to have liver problems, again cleared the skin, but when they had to stop treatment ...within 4 weeks i was covered head to foot again with psoriasis, so bought myself a uvb narrowband canopy, cleared my skin within 16 weeks. Unfortunately due to the fact i have had cancer twice my consultant didn't want me to continue with the uvb treatment although it worked, and has put me on Stelara, which has been fantastic and todate i have not suffered a single side effect, don't give up, something will work for you

Posted Fri 29 Jun 2018 13.07 by Sandles

After taking acitretin and the bad side effects I had, I have tried herbalists and acupuncture and every cream from drs and others with no help , now waiting for an appointment for light therapy . This is the last treatment before methotrexate and putting all my hopes on the light therapy , it’s the thought of having monthly blood tests tells Me methotrexate can’t be doing your organs any good . Now after 18 Months of having my whole life altered I’m thinking I will Have to give in and try methotrexate does anybody else feel your never going to find something that works? Fed up today 😩

Posted Sat 30 Jun 2018 14.34 by tracey

Hi Sandles, don't give up.....i have tried everything over the years and finally 100% clear for a year. I bought a uvb narrowband canopy, same as what they use at the hospital and it cleared my psoriasis in about 4 months..... Good luck x

To take part, sign in or register with us