Plaque Psoriasis

Posted Sun 25 Feb 2018 20.45 by Lottie-lou

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis for around 10 years now. When i was first diagnosed i was 13, it was only on my scalp and was manageable. Over the last 10 years i have been able to manage my skin with moisturisers and steroids as needed, However, over the last 6 months my skin has gotten worse and worse. I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis 18 months ago too, which i was placed on Methatrexate for a while, but had to come off due to horrible side effects. Currently I am really struggling to deal with a worsening flare up. The patches are growing each day and the itching is never ending. Steroids just aren't working any more. I'm waiting for a dermatology referral. In the mean time any ideas which may help would be much appreciated. I work as a nurse and it is beginning to impact my job. I just wish something would work now.

Posted Mon 26 Feb 2018 09.05 by Robert

Hi,Itried all the steroid creams and all they do is cause flare ups,please try Sorion cream or Soratinex,they are expensive but will stop itching and reduce flares,if you are lucky they could clear your symptoms.Worth a try they are herbal and steroid free,ps if using Soratinex keep using your moisturiser as usual.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 2018 22.43 by Libby

Hey! When my plaques are really itchy I find oat baths a great help and smothering as much moisituriser on as possible. Then I put my steroid creams on top. If it’s a really bad flare up I only use Aveeno bath cream and moisturiser because of the oat content. What about taking an antihistamine to reduce the itchiness? Or aloe Vera products? X

Posted Wed 7 Mar 2018 16.16 by Angels66
have had the conditions since the birth of my 10 year old and have had huge flare ups and bouts of depression at the worst times

Hi, I agree with the over use of steroid creams. I'm also at my wits end with my plaques and this is also having a major impact in my daily life. I find aloe vera creams quite soothing and I keep mine in the fridge, as my psoriasis really really burns. I try not to have too many baths as the heat seems to aggravate the symptoms.... I know how depressing this awful infliction can be and I totally sympathise....I hope you get your referral really soon. Try to stay positive and good luck

Posted Wed 7 Mar 2018 19.20 by Karen D
Hi,I was diagnosed with palmer psoriasis in Nov 2017 after 18 months of GP appointments and various steroid creams.

Hi, After finally being referred back in November 2017 to a dermatologist and diagnosed with palmer p I had a shed load of meds. Initially things improved but after about 6 weeks got worse! (a pharmacist friend suggested that I may be intolerant of SLS in certain of the moisturisers) I have finally started phototherapy and after 3 sessions there are definite signs of improvement :) As for moisturisers I wash hands with Dermol when in kitchen and E45 in bathroom. I use Aveeno skin relief throughout the day - it soaks in where things like Epaderm take forever to absorb and I end up with unsightly smudge marks on my clothes! I am hoping to get back to knitting gardening and pastry making (not pleasant when skin falls off when trying to work the pastry yuk!) in the near future. Keep your chin up and thank you to you and all the fantastic nurses out there. Good luck with the referral.

Posted Thu 8 Mar 2018 22.09 by MichellePR

I’ve had plaque psoriasis on my scalp and neck since I was a baby. I tried literally everything throughout my life to manage it, and at times it would mildly improve, but it was always visible. Now at 46 years old, I decided I’d try once again the T Gel shampoo you can get at any drug store and guess what!? It has completely gotten rid of it! I tried it a couple other times throughout my life with no luck, but for whatever reason, it worked this time and I’ve had no visible sign of psoriasis for almost 6 months now! I bought the extra strength medicated T Gel and washed my hair with it about 3x a week. I’d let it sit on my scalp while I showered and then rinsed it out. It cleared up my scalp and neck!

To take part, sign in or register with us