PPPP

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 20.33 by Bethkin

Hi there I’m currently looking for some advice. I suffer from PPPP on my hands and feet and have been diagnosed for roughly 5 months now. Im only 25 and I’m currently having PUVA treatment however this is not working! I’m in agony walking constantly as my job involves me being on my feet all day and I’ve really had enough! Im in absolute tears tonight as the pain is horrendous and it’s all over my feet! What are my options from here if I have any and what can I do to relieve this pain? I cream them three times a day with mouisteriser and then steroid cream at night with still no luck! Please help any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 22.48 by Sue P

Hi, I’m sorry you’re having such a bad time at the moment. After trying the creams, potions, medications & their horrendous side effects I looked at other options. I have had some success with kefir, diet & supplements of vitamins & minerals but not to eradicate it. Or it could be I give up too soon ! What I can suggest is to invest in a foot spa. I soak my feet, rolling my soles over the rollers for 30 mins. I put Aveeno oil in the water. I then moisturise my feet & wrap in clingfilm & leave over night. If the pain is still bad I will take some paracetamol. They feel great in the morning, yes they deteriorate as the day goes on but it’s worth doing. At the weekend if they are really bad I soak them again & clingfilm then & raise them up & rest. Take care xx

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 15.36 by RubyT

I agree with Sue P, Diet and moisture are the way to go I posted this on a PPP general chat I started my light therapy 2 weeks back and can already see a difference, I am looking to improve my gut health as well. I still use Dovobet / Silkis daily and got some Enstillar spray steroid for the bits i can reach. To help get rid of all the dead skin on my feet i find daily soaks in Olatum / salt on alternate days, slathering them with an ointment ( cetraben) then bagging them under plastic (Bags / clingfilm) socks for at least an hour (overnight is best), this works well for me. Similarly I have been applying ointment to hands and then putting on tight fitting non latex / nitrile gloves, and gloves on top. I cut the fingers off everything as they are fine and my hands got too hot. I wear gloves for everything - I ride so need to keep the dirt out!! was signed off work when hands got infected!! In a daily bath I rub dead skin off with nothing rougher than a flannel. Be careful with a pumice as it can set up the Koebner phenomenomen and make PPP worse. I have put compeeds / blister plasters on the splits and aim to leave them on for a week or until til they fall off. I bought Scholl sports gel inserts for my shoes which also helps. Would recommend watching TV or sitting still with ointment / bags, walking becomes treacherous. Ive been doing this for about 3 months and with the light therapy I am definitely getting some relief and feet healing well. Good luck

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 16.59 by Bethkin

Hi there ladies... So I am currently on a real good diet as I am losing weight... in fact it’s got worse since eating better and losing weight. I have quit smoking too. I bath my feet in dermol 500 and also take the dead skin off however this hasn’t improved it at all. I also moisturise my feet 3 times a day with zerobase and put dermovate on at night with cling film. I have been doing this for 6 months with still little improvement. I’m currently taking paracetamol and ibruprofen regularly which still does not help. Today the doctors have started me on ciclosporin and given me naproxen and cocodamel for the pain as since doing this post my feet have once again got even worse! Going to see how this goes and will update u with my progress :)

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 17.19 by RubyT

Bethkin so sorry to hear things are not great - but fab news on weight loss and smoke stop - I have also given up week 7 but have put on about 1.5 stone!! May be worth checking with your dermo about steroids under cling film, I email mine and she comes back pretty quickly. - I only use moisturisers under plastic and I cut the toes out of the socks I use in bed stop my feet getting too hot!! Also and again how do you take the dead skin off - too much can make it worse as I am sure you have found out!! Ive been offered Acitren but am holding off and hoping PUVA will do its thing this time round! CyA should help, naproxen and co codamol will definitely get you to sleep!!! Good luck

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 17.55 by Bethkin

I don’t use cling film for the steroids I use bed socks ;) I use cling film with the mouisterisers. I’m going to be honest at the minute I literally gently rub the dead skin off with my hands. My skin is so thin and flaky it literally just tears off like paper! They won’t put me on acitretin as I’m only 25 years old u see and will be hopefully soon looking at having my own family (however until my feet are slightly better this is being put on hold!) unfortunately the PUVA has no effect for me at all and have had to stop it now as the tablets I’m on and the PUVA will increase my chances of skin cancer massively! As I said I’m only 25 and can barely walk at the minute! Even having to ring in sick at work as being on my feet is unbearable! I can’t even Cook a meal because standing at the hob causes me too much pain on my feet. Good luck to you though on the PUVA apparently in the 6 years the nurse has been on the clinic doing the light therapy I’m the only one that has had no improvement on it! People normally have 24 sessions and improve however I had 38 and there was still no improvement and I was on the most amount of time.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 19.35 by RubyT

Hey Bethkin, I can completely empathise, sympathise even, a month or so back I couldn't walk, cook, go out or anything, got signed off work and began to feel like a hermit. But slowly things are improving. yes Acitretin is no good if you are planning a family - and I am so sorry to hear the PUVA was not for you. Hope this passes soon and you can get on with that family!!

To take part, sign in or register with us