doctors won’t give light treatment

Posted Sat 7 Apr 2018 23.26 by browniecat

hi all i’m new here. my mum got psoriasis a few years ago, this was the first time she got it and it was really bad, all over her scalp, arms and legs, her face was bumpy too. She got given light treatment which made it go away for a while and now recently it has come back and it’s bad like the first time, my mum has gone to the dermatologist so many times and all they give is creams and tablets that don’t work, the tablets she recently took made her feel unwell and her face was getting worse so she stopped taking it. Now she’s turned to ayurvedic medicine to see if that will help as she’s lost hope with the dermatologist, she asked them for another light treatment but they won’t give it to her. She has another appointment with them in a month but i doubt they’ll suggest anything helpful. I’m a bit skeptical about ayurvedic medicine so i was wondering if you guys know of anything that could help clear up her psoriasis, i feel so bad seeing her like this and not being able to help, the psoriasis really brings her down.

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 11.07 by JB79

My GP won't refer me to the dermatologist again and I never managed to persuade them to give me light treatment. I've got a bit desperate recently as none of the normal creams are helping - so came to this forum for advice and have just started trying various products from Lush. Superbalm for my scalp for a start - which seems to be working after 1 day! It's worth having a look through the forums about what Lush products are good for which types of psoriasis - if you can get them where you are. Only problem is obviously they won't prescribe them from the GP so you have to fork out your own cash......

Posted Wed 11 Apr 2018 12.26 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Dream Cream from Lush is a wonderful moisturiser in general, but it's really helped me and some friends with our psoriasis. Seems better on plaque than guttate but worth a go. If you search for psoriasis on the Lush website you'll get all the reviews that mention it - there's heaps! I'd also suggest your mum changes her GP. Not all doctors are created equal - some have no experience of P and will try and tell you they know more when you've been suffering longer than they studied. My skin flared up last year and the only GP who actually helped was a woman who's child has it. She was so wonderfully sympathetic and had done her own research for her son. She sent photos to the derm dept for me, showing how quickly it was progressing and I was her 'guinea pig' for Enstilar foam as she'd never prescribed it before. The other doctors just told me to moisturise and to try going to yoga :-/ Basically, don't let your mum get disheartened but she will need to fight her corner because it's not a well understood condition. Also please don't let this make you feel bad. There's literally nothing you can do, and I hate to say it but a lot of P is genetic - keep your stress levels down! The last thing you want is to get a flare up and have to deal with these issues yourself (speaking from experience this will devastate your mum - my mother feels hugely guilty that she passed P onto me because she just gets tiny dots on her elbows and I've been getting covered head to toe every few years for the last decade).

Posted Fri 13 Apr 2018 22.03 by browniecat

thank you guys so much, i’ll take a look at lush and i’ll also suggest that my mum change doctors, she’s got an appointment next week though so we’ll see how that goes first.

To take part, sign in or register with us