Light Treatment

Posted Tue 17 Apr 2018 18.44 by J1367

Hello. I was diagnosed with the guttate variety around 3 weeks ago. It started on my arms looking like insect bites which were incredibly itchy before literally exploding on my arms, chest, stomach back and legs, mainly on my lower legs My first trip to the GP was pointless as saw a nurse who then called in a dr who wasn’t really sure and just prescribed me a generic moisteriser. 2nd trip to the dr was when the I was told I had guttate but all I was told again was to moisturiser. Queue the 3rd trip to the dr. This time the dr actually looked at all of it and straight away referred me to receive light treatment. This is the first time I’ve ever had psoriasis and there is to the best of my knowledge there is no family history of it so it’s all been a lot to take in and myself confidence has taken a massive hit and feel like I can’t leave my house without wearing long sleeves. I was wondering if anyone would like to share with me their experience of light treatment and how long it took before results were seen and whether or not their guttate psoriasis returned afterwards? Thanks in advance

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 21.26 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi I also have guttate and I am on Methotrexate which has cleared most of it but I still get small spots on my body & legs so I have had phototherapy which completely cleared it for a couple of months which got me through the summer. Zero double moisturiser from the doc is good or Child’s Farm from Boots or supermarkets. Also I use Dovobet gel which helps but only for a couple of days. This is a miserable confidence shattering disease and many of us have it and know how you feel so have light treatment and get out in the sun but don’t burn and you will see a difference in a few weeks and feel human again! There are many treatments a dermatologist can give you to see which works one for you as we are all different. Be strong!!

Posted Thu 19 Apr 2018 21.45 by Mjrook5591
I have guttae psoriasis all over

Hey I'm in exactly the same boat exactly how you described it happening to you happened to me. I did light therapy and it took away all storms for a few months I kept moisturizing and using topics as instructed but it just keeps coming back. I've started losing all faith In it disappearing for good and trying to deal with it is hard for myself I'm 26 and constantly covered up and it's depressing in all honesty but all I can say is don't give up talk to people and learn that's all I'm doing now! And trying to learn to live with it. So if anyone wants to talk or meet to chat about anything I'm in Essex and more than willing as we all probably need as much help as each other. All the best and don't give up

Posted Fri 20 Apr 2018 16.26 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

J1367 - Hi! I had my second round of phototherapy last summer. I started at about 14 seconds (super pale Scottish skin!) and worked up to around 4 mins over the course of a few months. It can be slow going - the nurses will likely tell you not to expect any changes until you're in there over 1 minute and your legs will probably take longest to clear as the light isn't as strong at the bottom of the bulb. But actually, after that it seems to melt away fairly quickly. Try not to scrutinise your skin too closely otherwise progress will seem extra slow and please for the love of all things dermatological, if you burn, tell the nurses. They'll adjust your times to make it more comfortable for you. You will achieve nothing by trying to tough it out and 'burn' away the P, in fact you'll likely end up with an additional flare up. I'd advise taking a bog standard moisturiser with you and just slathering it on after you come out the sun bed thing, just like you would if you'd been sunbathing. I really hope it works for you! My first round of phototherapy kept me 90% clear for nearly 10 years. The last round didn't last so well and it's been slowly creeping back for the last 6 months. But I had an AWESOME tan for the first time in my life after I'd finished!

Posted Sat 21 Apr 2018 21.23 by robynps (edited Sat 21 Apr 2018 21.25 by robynps)
I have moderate plaque Psoriasis

Hello :) I relied quite heavily on light treatment before I was old enough to start trying different medications, including methotrexate, ortezla and cosentyx. As long as the exposure times were right (not too long to cause mild sunburn, and long enough to make an impact) the results were positive. But short lived. Within a few weeks of stopping I would flare again. My dermatologist and team have always been fantastic and really keen not to waste exposures. This was information given to me at the time and may relate to my experience only however... To prevent an increased risk of skin cancer, the number of exposures is limited over your lifetime. And topping these up with sunbed sessions increases the risk and reduces the number you should have. Something to keep in mind. Be proud of your skin, it makes you different and that makes you special. So roll those sleeves up and keep your chin up x

Posted Sun 22 Apr 2018 18.08 by Taru

I had light treatment in 2014 but reacted badly to it, i.e. got very burnt so they discontinued treatment after about 4 sessions. Since then, my skin has become extremely sensitive to sunlight. Any exposed area especially around my neck gets burnt after a few minutes. Anyone else experienced this?

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.30 by lynno

Also diagnosed three weeks ago with guttate. I am in my first round of phototherapy. Coming up on a month and noticing an small improvement. I also get out in the sun a few times a week on my own. I think the sun helps rather than the creams they prescribed. This also was a huge blow to my self esteem as I pride myself on looking nice and taking care of myself. However last week I decided to stop hiding. I got rid of the tights and long sleeves, and put back on my little black dresses and open toe shoes. I am now rocking my cheetah skin. Screw it. I am still me. Stay in touch, and let me know how it goes.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 18.01 by J1367

Thanks Lynno, I had a lads weekend in Lanzarote and the sun has made a massive difference and I actually managed to have the confidence to wear shorts and a vest. Unfortunately I can start light treatment till August so whenever the sun is out I’ll be out. Just need to brave it when I go the gym now and get that vest back on in there.....

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 18.38 by lynno

@J1367 --Awesome! I hid at the gym for weeks in pants and long sleeves, and then finally said no more. I am back in tanks and shorts and the gym folks embraced me. A few asked me if I had the measles and recently poison ivy. i explained to them they wouldn't catch anything and went on my merry way. Be fierce.

To take part, sign in or register with us