Newly diagnosed, covered in psoriasis including most of face, advice sought

Posted Wed 18 Apr 2018 07.24 by Kentpatient

Hello. I just joined the forum after being diagnosed yesterday age 50. For the past six weeks I was getting progressively more dry, red and itchy and my scalp was particularly bad. My GP diagnosed allergic urticaria but even oral and topical steroids did not work. Now I look as if I Have burns on my face hardly any skin on my face which is normal. I am constantly shedding skin. It's embarrassing and I am really depressed. I saw a dermatologist who has prescribed 'a cream which is not steroids but will sting and burn' and double base as a moisturiser and coal tar shampoo plus a scalp ointment. I am looking for any advice you guys can give me on what might stop me looking like this.

Posted Wed 18 Apr 2018 09.47 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

I am not at all surprised that what you were prescribed did not help much. Allergic Urticaria is obviously an allergy to one or several things so should be treated as such with something along the lines of Fexofenadine 180mg which is antihistamine 60mg above that which is prescribed for allergic rhinitis (hay fever) and from personal experience I know this slowly gets to the root of the matter. Once the allergies are under control, the steroids etc can then help with the eruptions. Don't expect any fast acting miracle cure treatments as its a slow process where you will still need the coal tar shampoo and other skin applications, but it IS controllable :thumbup:

Posted Wed 18 Apr 2018 19.26 by Kentpatient

Thanks for this. It's likely it was not an allergy but psoriasis. I'm now on diprosalic ointment. I used it twice today and the psoriasis on my hands seems more red and the plaques on my legs and arms more itchy. Is that unusual? I also have protopic for my face. Not had any stinging yet but only used it once so far. Any advice on when to apply emollient around these treatments would be gratefully received.

Posted Fri 20 Apr 2018 09.41 by ohwell

I really do not like to be the bearer of bad news. Psoriasis is not curable ( is containable) no doctor / medic knows the cause. You will get steroids, emollients, God knows I have loads.But hey it gets expensive ,very. Emollient should just be a petroleum base product. S no, use as and when, just not near cigarettes and such. And put towel on the chair / sofa.

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 20.14 by Kiff

Hi, Since it is an autoimmune disease, there is no "cure" ,although some people claim that if you change your diet to a vegan diet that you are "free" from it or cured. Have you considered CBD oils or lotions?? My daughter has P, and we found relief in a Full spectrum CBD lotion. no 'tightness" of her skin, feels instantly better and she has only pink patches of skin now...like its new skin coming in. We LOVE the results form it. No side affects, just positive results Good Luck...

To take part, sign in or register with us