Sunbeds

Posted Tue 24 Apr 2018 04.10 by Amybx

Hi, just wondering if anyone has ever used sunbeds & seen a improvement in their psoriasis? I have had light treatment at the hospital before but I felt like it made my skin very very VERY dry & itchy and that was from being in the light treatment stand for seconds!

Posted Tue 24 Apr 2018 08.48 by shy_girl1988

I personally have seen a very slight improvement with sun beds but then I didn't go too much as the fear of cancer is always floating about in the back of the brain somewhere. I have decided I need to immigrate to hotter climates. That is clearly the answer :) Holidays work wonders.

Posted Tue 24 Apr 2018 10.41 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I am not an expert on sunbeds, but I have read up a bit on UV treatment for psoriasis. I had my first outbreak all over my body 40 years ago. I found a holiday in the sun and swimming in the sea every day brought a great improvment. I have jusy had a new outbreak all over - the first for about 35 years, and I have been reading all I can find about current thinking on treatments. My understanding is that hospitals use short wavelength UVB lamps as a tratment for psoriasis, with exposure times in seconds or 1-2 minutes. Most commercial sunbeds output UVA light, with minimal UVB, and the stregth and wavelengths are poorly controlled. I think the general advice might be that UV treatment can be beneficial, but probably not advisable to start going to tanning salons.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.49 by lynno

I have been in phototherapy for three weeks. Def see slow improvement. I also heard commercial sunbeds might not be beneficial, but everybody is different. I had managed to go nine years between outbreaks, and I think it is because I am in the sun quite a bit. I am convinced it has helped me. Good luck!

To take part, sign in or register with us