scalp psoriasis and conditioner?

Posted Tue 24 Apr 2018 14.42 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I have just come out in guttate psoriasis all over my body, as of about 6 weeks ago (after having plaque psoriais all over my body 40 years ago). Generally it is bearable - except for my scalp which is itching constantly and driving me mad, and seems to be getting worse day by day. I am trying different preparations to see what might at least bring the sclp itching under control Some of the shampoos are quite harsh on my hair. So I want to use conditioner on the hair after washing, as usual. Anyway, my question is: What are people's experiences or even thoughts about using conditioner with scalp psoriasis? Does it irritate your psoriasis ? Does anyone know of negatives in using conditioner ? Is there some conditioner that is more "gentle" than others? Thanks

Posted Tue 24 Apr 2018 16.25 by Aurora
I have had a patch of psoriasis on top of my foot for over 10 years.I used to think it was athlete's foot.Now I seem to have developed psori

Hi ,I've got psoriasis on my scalp only very slightly and it's been getting better. Coconut oil has been a good,non-irritating conditioner for me.One way to use it -this occasionally,when you've got more time,or overnight -is to apply it on your unwashed hair and later,shampoo it off.No further steps needed. I've also found that as a last step after washing your hair,rinsing with a little apple cider vinegar (with the "mother"in it,meaning unpasteurized ) in cool-ish water helps to lessen the itching and this also gives your hair a nice shine.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 14.52 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Conditioner is only supposed to be used on the lengths of your hair - the bottom 2/3s or so - so it shouldn't come into contact with your scalp at all. You might find your scalp is irritated because the conditioner isn't getting rinsed off properly - there are a lot more questionable chemicals in conditioner that you don't want on your scalp. The perfume alone will be bad news. I second the cider vinegar rinse though - it doesn't leave you smelling like a chippy or anything! Or you could always try reversing your wash habits and do conditioner first, then shampoo. There's a few articles online about this and it seems to be pretty popular. I couldn't tell the difference when I tried it. Hair was the same as if I'd done it the right way round.

To take part, sign in or register with us