Natural remedies

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 09.19 by shy_girl1988 (edited Wed 25 Apr 2018 09.22 by shy_girl1988)

Hiya I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck with Natural remedies for psoriasis at all?? For example: Diet, Exercise, Herbal remedies, Supplements etc Also any good decent shampoos & conditioners?? I have used Alphosyl & oilatum before (I have a different shampoo now) but I don't know if they actually help with the psoriasis or if it is just the Ointment I use the night before. I just really don't like how they leave my hair feeling sometimes :( When you read so many forums there are so many suggestions out there but they have little evidence of actually helping. I always see on websites that Apple cider vinegar helps & olive oil??? I have tried soaking in Epsom salts but I didn't really feel a difference. I would personally rather not be putting lotions & potions on all my life but if that's what needs to be done then I will. Yes everyone is different and what works for one person most certainly might not work for another but I just thought I would ask anyway. Trial & error all the way. Any insight would be helpful. To be honest I am not 100% sure what causes my psoriasis as I didn't get it until I was 12. Doctor said stress but I really didn't feel I was stressed at that age but it has stayed with me ever since. I can control it but its always lingering.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 08.35 by Kath00

Hi I find coconut oil little and often on my skin helps I stopped using potions and lotions on my scalp as I didn’t think it was doing any good and could never wash it out hated looking like I have washed my hair and chip fat My scalp was pretty bad lost quite a lot of hair bold patches everywhere Now I just us capital shampoo I get It on persctiption use every day and find it is working well You can also try coconut on on your scalp

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 09.08 by shy_girl1988 (edited Thu 26 Apr 2018 09.21 by shy_girl1988)

Hi Kathoo Do you just apply the oil to the scalp & skin and leave on over night ??? I do have a mousse that is fab for my scalp but I hear they are discontinuing you and its full of steroids. Don't want to end up growing a beard haha Really sorry to hear that your ended up falling out. That's the thing with psoriasis, it doesn't just stop at patches on your skin. Hope you are keeping well. I will keep an eye out for that shampoo thanx. x PS few of us have started up a fb page to try support each other if you fancy joining. We want to share pics, motivate, support, get awareness out there. https://m.facebook.com/groups/375000316315644

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 11.57 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@shy_girl: if the mousse you are using is Clarelux, then that is simply a single steroid treatment. Some prescribers are trying to avoid single ingredient steroid treatments because of the "rebound effect" when you stop using them (they are generally only prescribed for limited time use- eg 4 weeks).

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 12.23 by Kath00

Apart from my scalp and hair falling out I am quite lucky I only have psoriasis on my hands and elbow I get the capasal on prescription but you can buy over-the-counter I have not put coconut oil on my scalp but I believe you can. I put it on my hands and elbows just put a tiny bit on three or 4 times a day it works for me. if I forget to put it on my hands breaks out within 24 hours but clears up quite quickly when I start to use it again

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 16.33 by shy_girl1988

Yes OhNo_NotAgain? It is Clarelux but it has been the only thing that has helped over the years. Yeah I understand that fully, I do have it on repeat so I can just order if I need to. I may try the coconut oil idea and see how that goes, I certainly would prefer something a tad more natural. Thanx for the idea Kathoo. Thanks :) We are sharing pics, stories, experiences on our fb page if anyone fancies joining. Take care x

To take part, sign in or register with us