Kidney transplant and psoriasis

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 20.57 by Kidney_Girl

Hi, This is my first post. I am 17 and have had psoriasis practically for my whole life. I have it everywhere!! On my hands, head, neck, behind my ears, toes and in all my sensitive creases. I have tried every cream under the sun as well as acitretin none of which works. I have always heard how great UVB treatment is but this is not an option for me as I have had a kidney transplant. Does anyone else have experience of coping with psoriasis following a transplant? A year and a half ago I switched my main medication to ciclosporin which was incredibly scary. 3 days after this, my psoriasis had completely gone- I thought it was a miracle!! But slowly as I had to reduce my dose to keep my kidney happy my psoriasis got worse and worse. It is now back to how it was before and doesn’t seem to be going away!! Does anyone have any favourite moisturisers they could recommend as I am now just trying to keep it from becoming dry. I am sorry if this is really long but if anyone has any tips or tricks it would be great! : )

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 21.38 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Fri 27 Apr 2018 13.18 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

The best moisturiser I have found is Doublebase Gel. You can buy it or get it on prescription. A lot of people swear by "Childs Farm" moisturiser. Get the one marked sensitive, that has grapefruit and organic tea-trea in it. The bottle has pink hand-prints on the design. I found it ok as a moisturiser with a nice smell but nothing special. Others swear by it and report great results. I bought mine from Boots.com. One advantage is that you can get a 250 ml size small enough to carry in a bag (there is also a 500ml size). There is another thread on here: https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/forums/topic.aspx?ID=2068 Good luck

To take part, sign in or register with us