sun lamp at home

Posted Tue 8 May 2018 08.28 by lindylou

Hi first post on here so very new...... had psorasis for 45years only on elbows and knees, but 8 years ago best friend died suddenly and got massive flare up on right lower limb which at the moment is really bad, mainly plaques, but now lots of tiny spots of psorasis.I keep reading about sun lamps to use at home but don,t know where to buy from etc ,any help really appreciated with this matter ,sorry for long post

Posted Wed 9 May 2018 13.52 by souxies

Hi 😊 It depends on the type you are after really. Phillips website for a small device and if you want bigger then mbs medical or skin matters. I have just got the 9 tube bed from mbs but only been using it a week! please be very careful not to buy cheap ones. you need the phillips narrowband tubes or led. There is a post on here with lots of info on uvb lights but i cant remember how it starts, it has around 80 replys though!

Posted Fri 11 May 2018 13.05 by Aitch

HI I bought the Philips TL01 small light online, it costs around £160.00. It's about the size of a hairdryer. Sunbeds are UVA light you need UVB light. Hope this helps

Posted Sun 20 May 2018 13.12 by Fletch84

Does anyone have a good guide on how long to use home light therapy devices for and how often?! Cheers

Posted Mon 21 May 2018 17.28 by OhNo_NotAgain?

My personal guideline would be don't use a phototherapy device at home. But I do realise that some suffrers feel desperate and either want a quick fix, or have not seen a significant improvement in their condition after many other treatments. The wavelengths of the UVB you require is critical. The distance of the lamps from your skin and duration of exposure are important. Get it wrong and you might simply waste your time, or you might damage your skin and make your psoriasis worse. In hospitals they seem to start with very short exposure times and gradually extend them. Buying a UVB sunbed or lamps: - if it is new, you might only have the seller or manufacturers word that it is suitable. - if buyng second-hand, even if the tubes seem to be the recommended type for treating psoriasis, you have no idea how many hours are on them (no matter what the previous owner selling it tells you). This was a common problem with second-hand tanning beds back in the late 80s and 90s.

Posted Wed 23 May 2018 08.25 by Instantsmile

Hi my wife has this rash all over her body for pat 5 years in desperation we started uvb 9 x 100 watt worked well then a year we had nhs treatment of returned after 2 months .we are now home treating improving all the time . More convenient as the hospital is 1 hour away .

To take part, sign in or register with us