Help with Psoriasis

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 17.33 by Mum45

Hi all. My son who is 21 is really suffering with Psoriasis in his shins and calves. He developed it about 2.5yrs ago, seemed to be just out of no where. He was prescribed steroid treatment, nothing worked, then aveeno cream, seemed to make it angrier, but he was at a loss. I read about Farmer child moisturiser and we've tried that, it's become less read, but just hasn't shifted. He's just so embarrassed and won't wear shorts in the sun, stopped playing hockey (cause he'll need to change) and is generally depressed about it. It's killing me as a mom to see him like this. I'm looking at UVB lights for home, but also looking for any other treatments that have worked for you. Thank you

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 17.52 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I came out in psoriasis all over my body, starting on my 22 birthday in my final year of University. It used to be raw and bleeding after a game of rugby and stung like mad in the showers after a game. I found sunlight to be the best treatment - and to be honest, my rugby mates and even my girlfriend at the time were not bothered by my appearance (once they knew it was not chicken pox). My girlfriend even used to apply my coal-tar ointment to my back and places that I could not see or reach. It is very difficult to say "do not be embarassed" - but sunlight had the biggest and most dramatic affect to improve my psoriasis. Now at 60 I have jusr come out in peoriasis again 2 months ago. I find that Doublebase Gel, and Doublebase Dayleve Gel help a lot with general moisturising and comfort. I am also using Psoriderm cream (coal tar and lecitihin) from my GP on prescription. Also taking a vitamin D supplement - don't know if that will make any differnce at all.

Posted Thu 24 May 2018 18.24 by Mum45

Thank you for your quick reply. Its very hard watching my son become so ashamed and allow this psoriasis to over take his life. But I have said, either control it, or let it control you, which he seems to currently be doing. :(

Posted Sat 26 May 2018 20.46 by ROSALIND

I have had psoriasis for the past 15 years and my legs are becoming worse it's very itchie and bleeds it's painful . I still haven't found anything to cure it need help.

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 16.06 by Rece94

I’ve had dermatitisform psoriasis which is a mixture of psoriasis and eczema since I was 13 (I’m now 23) it was undiagnosed for 10 years only this year in January after 3 biopsies was I told what it was and it’s gradually gotten worse with me having to take stronger tablets and creams the more it flares up. It covers about 90% of my body and like your son I have really low periods of time and I won’t wear certain clothes that show my legs because the condition has changed the pigment of my skin and because it’s so sore. My dermatologist wanted me to start metatrexate but my kidney and liver weren’t at the standard they needed to be but then suggested I take another immune suppressant which I’m uncomfortable taking with my health issues. Not wanting to make my health any worst I’ve been using natural remedies, from a book called ‘Healing Psoriasis’ and ‘Healing Psoriasis Cookbook’. This has helped me more than any creams or tablets, it tells you the cause of psoriasis, how to prevent it and what things to eat, drink, bathe in and cream with. With the sadness and letting psoriasis control you, my mother had said the same thing but my own take on that is due to the lack of sleep I get and the pain from the condition it’s hard not to be depressed but the one thing i will say is from my own experience it’s harder to come out of the low moods and be positive when all you can see and think about is how your skin looks to you and other people.

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 16.14 by Mum45

Hi Rece94, Thank you sharing. It's hard, and I'm sorry you are going through this. I too want my son to go more organic natural route, but I think at first, if he can eventually see a dermatologist, is to hit the P with chemical warfare! :) We've changed his diet, stopped dairy, and someone said citrus.. So trying that too. I will look up those books though. I've started him on Vit D3 too. Hopefully we can at least get a start with ramping his immune up. Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate it

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 16.45 by Jean B

Thanks for being so honest here. I've got bad psoriasis on the face. I'm also taking Vitamin D but being in the sun now seems to make it worse! I've also got Rosacea, says the dermatologist. Any ideas here?

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 19.34 by Rece94

Hi, Yeah, dairy, citrus, alcohol, smoking, fried foods and red meats are the worst for psoriasis. Fair enough different remedies work for different people, I’ve just found that things my dermatologist has recommended has then led to various other health problems down the line. But in the book I mentioned beforehand it has taught me how to take care of myself better and to put things into my body that will help it Fish oils are really good too, from my own experience diet is key in being one step ahead of this condition.

Posted Fri 1 Jun 2018 18.37 by Monikapi

Hi I had the light treatment for a couple of weeks. My skin got better but after a while my psoriasis came back worse. I'm helpless now hope it's helps your son. People react differently. Good luck

Posted Mon 4 Jun 2018 19.13 by SS1980

I’m finding the Enstilar foam to be very helpful. Great results in just a few days.

Posted Wed 6 Jun 2018 11.53 by Jean B

Thanks for these helpful suggestions, Rece94! I'm going to find those books you mentioned!

Posted Fri 22 Jun 2018 04.36 by DanielC

I'd second the Enstilar, though it has a steroid in it, it is really good at calming a flare fairly quickly and then once it's calmed down maybe some dovonex or protopic ointment for maintenance.

To take part, sign in or register with us